Author Topic: November 2020  (Read 19625 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: November 2020
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2020, 02:10:33 PM »
Nice wins there, Undead, especially the Jaws B0, and great style on the trio above - kinda similar to the Mandalorian intro.  cool1

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2020, 07:38:15 PM »
Hey folks, it's been a while since I posted an acquisition.

I find there are longer and longer stretches between finding additional Mexican movie posters that I actually want. So my collecting interests have expanded a bit to also cover Mexican commercial art (advertising, calendars, etc) as well as political cartoons and propaganda. I haven't been sharing that stuff here.

But anyway, I did recently purchase a movie poster that is not at all related to my Mexican collection: the Italian poster for Brief Encounter with artwork by Capitani.

After keeping an eye out for it at a "good" price for the better part of a decade and coming up short (I very narrowly missed one at a fixed price on ebay.it several years ago), I went ahead and splurged for this one from Benito. It is IMO a beautiful poster for a beautiful film. I had an Italian size frame on the wall already with My Fair Lady, so I went ahead and put Brief Encounter in the frame.

One question for the forum: given that there is some paper loss at the folds, should I be concerned about the weight of the poster putting additional stress on the horizontal folds as it hangs there? Would you have worries about keeping it framed in an unbacked state?
Anyone kept a large-size poster in similar condition framed (unbacked) for a long period of time?

Here is the (backed) My Fair Lady that was in the frame previously:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 08:02:37 PM by DekeThornton »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2020, 08:00:03 PM »
I also learned something interesting when I removed the My Fair Lady poster from the frame (I purchased the poster framed from a local auction at a low price, with the frame being the main motivation for my purchase -- though I like My Fair Lady just fine, it doesn't make my top 20 list or anything).

Anyway, the poster had a Christie's sticker on the back with sale # and lot #. It was purchased by the prior owner for $1645 (!) in June of 2000.

This is more like a $400 or $500 poster these days, and that's not even taking inflation etc into account.

There is some lesson to be drawn from this anecdote I am sure. Don't bid at Christie's, I guess?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2020, 10:51:32 AM »
Love that Capitani.  Very nice poster.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2020, 11:21:45 AM »
That's a really beautiful Italian poster for Brief Encounter, congrats on this new acquisition!

I have a couple of old posters with some minor paper loss at the folds that are framed, and so far they seem to be holding up fine.  One of them is a 3-sheet (for The Creature Walks Among US), which is even larger than an Italian 2-F.  Personally I would never back a folded poster unless it really needed support, which doesn't seem to be the case for your copy.     

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2020, 11:49:07 AM »
Personally I would never back a folded poster unless it really needed support, which doesn't seem to be the case for your copy.   

This should be framed somewhere.

notworthy.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »
That's a really beautiful Italian poster for Brief Encounter, congrats on this new acquisition!

I have a couple of old posters with some minor paper loss at the folds that are framed, and so far they seem to be holding up fine.  One of them is a 3-sheet (for The Creature Walks Among US), which is even larger than an Italian 2-F.  Personally I would never back a folded poster unless it really needed support, which doesn't seem to be the case for your copy.   

Thanks for sharing. That makes me feel better about keeping the poster as it is.

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2020, 11:45:06 AM »
Just a little thing, but I recently got this book of Hepburn posters ... nothing too special but what got me was how the seller packaged it!  Really nice :)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2020, 06:05:18 AM »
Sorry but, the book looks creased?

The smiley stickers aside, is that right?

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2020, 08:59:31 AM »
Hey Simes,
No the book is in really good condition; I think you might be seeing the reflection from the plastic wrap.
The seller sent packaged up strong and tight.
With all the horror stories we hear about packaging, it made me smile to see someone take the time to put Audrey Hepburn wrapping tape on an Audrey Hepburn book!   :)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2020, 04:20:11 AM »
Good, cracking to know.

Offline Steven11788

• Beginner
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2020, 09:29:24 PM »
while, Im still waiting on Frame. I got a Mint Final Exam onesheet for 25 bucks, after loosing a bid on a beat up one for 78.00 last month. funny how things work out.