Author Topic: November 2020  (Read 19620 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
November 2020
« on: November 05, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
Guess I get to kick off this month with some recent Japanese pick ups. Working on scanning other buys from the US and a few other countries.

Starting out with three, two hens teeth and a MAJOR UNICORN from my top ten want list.

Tooth #1, going with incisor here, Star Wars Japanese R-82 B2. This is an interesting one and only the second time I have seen one come up for sale. It is the same as the very common B2 we are used to seeing but uses the updated fox logo that was changed in 1982 and is missing the orange background text blocks just below the image above the other text lines. So far I have no clue why this variant exists or what precisely it was used for. Research continues.

Tooth #2, more of a molar really, Raiders of the Lost Ark Japanese B1. Before this one I did not know it existed in this size. Same great artwork by Struzan as the normal B2 with the only differences being slight registration differences in the text.

And last but DEFINITELY NOT LEAST a top ten want checked off my list. Jaws Japanese B0. Not the greatest of shape, I edited the image a little. The only time I have managed to come across one since I first found out it existed looking through Brie's poster list years ago. No longer need to drool when I see a pic of one. This is a beast truly worthy of the giant shark at around 39"x62".
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Steven11788

• Beginner
Re: November 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 07:07:04 PM »
No pics as still in transet.
Ghidrah the 3 headed monster os
Destroy all monsters os
F13 part 3
jaws 2 -print hero complex Gallery
IT chapter 2 mondo
Nekromatic- German size

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 08:08:50 PM »
Great pick ups, dead dude!!!  Really awesome.

(If you had checked my website, you would have seen that Raiders B1.  Just sayin..)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 04:40:32 AM »
Very nice, Undead. Especially that giant shark! Lovely.

Steven, looking forward to seeing pics of that haul!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 12:33:55 PM by Tob »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 08:12:45 AM »
Thank you, really stoked about the Jaws. Will be getting that one on a wall this spring. May even take down the Kong three sheet for it.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 11:56:29 AM »
Great job on the Jaws poster. That is very high on my wish list!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 03:28:39 PM »
Finally something I'm happy to share.  A 6sht for one of my top 5 all time favorite films.  Laura (1944). 

Unfortunately, it's linenbacked, but I wouldn't know how to get it otherwise.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 03:39:13 PM »
One of my favorite films as well. Congrats on a beautiful piece.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »
please post a pic of Laura 6sheet on your wall sometime in the future

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 06:50:04 PM »
please post a pic of Laura 6sheet on your wall sometime in the future

Unfortunately, I am not planning to put it up.  But here it is on the floor :)

T

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 06:51:05 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 07:14:04 PM »
^thanks, that really shows the scale. i guess it is the only one ??? such a shame it's life is in a tube ;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 07:24:49 PM »
It's all a matter of choice.  I have 16,000 movie posters and only 3 on the wall.  I don't want more than 3.  Right now, I have the double French panel of La Belle et la Bête, the French one panel of A Bout de Souffle and the red Eye of 2001. 

I have 5-6 other French one panels coming, pretty nice stuff I will post later.

T
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 07:26:47 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 07:45:02 PM »
Absolutely fantastic Thierry congrats!
Chris

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 07:55:47 PM »
Yeah, that’s really gorgeous, congrats T.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 08:03:45 PM »
Congrats Thierry on that 6 sheet, the colors are awesome!  Laura is one of my favorite film noirs, I even recently read the book it's based on (which is pretty good itself).   

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 09:37:09 PM »
Nice one T . Gene is looking hot. I think you had a star wars 6 sheet up once, this may make it up too
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:38:36 PM by 50s »

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 10:15:20 PM »
https://youtu.be/1b3p8cJeNgc

Can anyone who likes Laura, particularly if it's a favourite film, explain why this is so? I understand we all have our own tastes. For instance, I don't really like Star Wars but can appreciate it has qualities. How so for Laura? There are some great film noir: Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce etc.. but Laura is such a dull film. Sluggish direction - I didn't even find it that atmospheric and if there isn't much to a storyline, a film has to be heavy on style. If Tierney is the appeal, I've seen her look better and in colour. But I'm interested in what others see in a movie that stars actors I'm a fan of but a director I'm not, which may be the problem.
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2020, 11:03:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yeah, I'm quite pleased, especially since I now own the 1/2 sht, 1sht, 3sht, 6sht, lobby card set and French.  The French and 3sht are extremely rare (I don't know of any others), so I'm happy.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2020, 10:47:11 AM »
Taste in films is subjective, so it's a bit tricky to explain what makes Laura a great film, but among the things I like about it is how during the first half of the film, Laura is believed to be dead and there is a certain aura of mystery about the character that builds up throughout flashbacks and the other characters' account of what she was like, which makes her sudden appearance (spoiler alert) very much alive in the middle of the movie quite the surprise.  The haunting theme heard throughout the movie, coupled with that iconic portrait of Gene Tierney towering over the mantel piece in her apartment, create a real mystique around the character.  Also, Clifton Webb as Waldo Lydecker is just a joy, full of highly quotable, sarcastic lines.  In any case, I've always found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable movie (granted, I'm partial to the noir genre) that I like to revisit every once in a while (just like Leave Her to Heaven, another great Gene Tierney movie, this one shot in spectacular Technicolor!).

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2020, 08:03:40 PM »
https://youtu.be/OJ9f378T49E

Antoine, I suppose my problem is with Tierney's character. Sure, many scenes can be devoted to looking at a portrait and mulling over who she was but it's difficult to build the suspense if the woman in question doesn't gain our sympathies. Tierney is peculiarly wooden in this - perhaps she struggled with the characterisation, perhaps she was told to act like a 2 dimensional painting (which is the real star of the show) but in her efforts to appear mysterious she just seems boring. Even when she's an out and out bitch like in Leave Her to Heaven (where I've never seen a more beautiful looking female photographed on camera) there is subtext there - her role has many layers and she elicits a response. I cared about her. In Laura she 's just going through the motions, deadpan. That's exactly what a pretty girl does when she wants unearned attention. And I have no time for that. Clifton Webb is oh, Clifton Webb but he features heavily in the trailer for a reason.
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2020, 03:21:39 PM »
Nice 6sht T, congrats.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Steven11788

• Beginner
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2020, 11:12:53 PM »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2020, 07:13:49 PM »
Nice Mothra, Steven. I’ve wanted that Critters quad for a while now too, price seems to have gone up a bit of late.

I’m really behind taking photos, but here are 3 relatively recent ones:

In Fabric quad - I like the macabre design, it’s very different to the US one sheet.

Pan’s Labyrinth Spanish one sheet

Starfall Japanese B2 -  I collect Noriyoshi Ohrai’s film posters and I collect Star Wars, so I’ve longed wanted this poster, but the price has always put me off. Finally found one for a half decent price so went for it and I’m really happy with it, I love the vibrant colours. Thanks to Undead for giving me some advice that helped me make up my mind to buy it.

Offline Steven11788

• Beginner
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 08:05:39 PM »
Nice Mothra, Steven. I’ve wanted that Critters quad for a while now too, price seems to have gone up a bit of late.

yes,  i found for 40 bucks, shipping took forever

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2020, 08:07:22 PM »
Love that retro design on the In Fabric quad, Tob!