Author Topic: The Cherry Orchard 1977 Beaumont Theater Lincoln Center Poster  (Read 5909 times)

Offline Wigalot

• Beginner
Hi there. This is my first post here so bare with me.

https://posteritati.com/poster/38870/the-cherry-orchard-1977-us-three-sheet-poster

I live in the UK and recently purchased this poster for £10. It is in a wooden frame with glass that appears to be original. It measures 46x23 inches. It has some warping, I assume from slight moister damage. Would it be worth removing it from the frame and flattening it?

I was primerily wondering if it held any real value. The only information I can find online is a few poster shops/sites selling it for $200 - $300 in excellent condition. I also saw a smaller version sell on eBay for $100. I can upload pictures if needs be. Many thanks for any future replies.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Re: The Cherry Orchard 1977 Beaumont Theater Lincoln Center Poster
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 06:48:54 AM »
When we "bare" with you, do we have to get completely nekkid? :)

On the poster, it almost surely wouldn't justify the cost of restoration (likely hundreds of dollars). Either enjoy it as it is, or look to find a better example in nice condition.

But that's just my opinion.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 08:55:13 AM »

This joke is bearly funny

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 08:33:06 PM »
This poster is on the wall in the class room in Nightmare On Elm Street when Nancy burns her arm on the pipe you can see it when she is leaving the room.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 09:44:16 PM »
I can't see the price on Posteritati, but if you are using them as a reference, bare in mind that they usually are 75% more expensive than what something is worth.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Wigalot

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 06:13:43 PM »

On the poster, it almost surely wouldn't justify the cost of restoration (likely hundreds of dollars). Either enjoy it as it is, or look to find a better example in nice condition.

But that's just my opinion.

Hahaha very good! :p Well heres the thing. When I lay the poster in frame flat on its back I can run my hand across the glass and the entire poster flattens out with no sign of stretching or warping from moisture. I suspect what ever is mounting the posting to the backing has come lose with time and the poster has slightly slipped down inside the frame. I am in no way an expert or have any prior knowledge of posters, poster restoration or poster frames so I was hoping someone here may know more or if its even worth me stripping off the original looking backing tape and ditch the frame entirely for example? Or maybe that is an insane thing to do? I just dont know :/

I can't see the price on Posteritati, but if you are using them as a reference, bare in mind that they usually are 75% more expensive than what something is worth.

T

I cant see the price there either but I could see it here (which is what sparked my interest in its value);

https://www.chisholm-poster.com/posters/CL58812.html

Even after taking 75% off from $250, thats $62.50 and I paid £10 GBP ($13.57)  thumbsup.gif

This is the exact poster I have accept mine is in a wooden frame with glass that looks like it is from the 70's. (backing tape yellowed and no sign poster has ever been removed from frame) Unsure if that means anything or not.

This poster is on the wall in the class room in Nightmare On Elm Street when Nancy burns her arm on the pipe you can see it when she is leaving the room.

You have a good eye! I'm now off to go look for that scene!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 08:19:33 PM by Wigalot »