Author Topic: Egyptian Re-release posters  (Read 4470 times)

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
Egyptian Re-release posters
« on: October 19, 2020, 08:28:40 AM »
I've seen a number of Egyptian Re-release posters popping up at my favourite online Auction house. There is one that I'd really like to bid on, but when I look at the large image I can clearly see the jpeg jaggies on the print.

I did an image search on google and the image, which I really like, seems to be some very well executed fan art. The listing is quite clear in stating that they really don't know what the poster was used for and it's clear they are being transparent with the listing.

My concern is that all the other Egyptian re-releases listed don't have the evidence of being printed from a jpeg, I checked each supersize image and they seem fine.

Does this mean it's a reprint or just a locally produced poster made with the resources at hand?

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Re: Egyptian Re-release posters
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 06:45:15 AM »
It seems clear that the people who made these did get most, if not all, of the images they started with online.

And yes, we have no clue how these were created or used. Several have tape stains on the back indicating they were displayed somewhere, but where and under what circumstances remains a mystery. Perhaps an Egyptian version of "Alamo Drafthouse", likely unlicensed?

I have been mystified by many of the prices. Time usually brings such aberrations back into line.

Not one person has emailed us with any additional information about any of these.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 06:53:15 AM »
At least one of the posters, if James Bond related, was 'inspired' by art done by Peter Lorenz.

He of Illustrated James Bond bog fame.

https://illustrated007.blogspot.com/

He says he is flattered...

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 07:34:35 AM »
The Batman poster shares a lot of composition similarities with Aurelio Lorenzo's Batman print that came out earlier this year (that dynamic angle, the pose and position of Batman and the Joker, position of Batmobile, position of Gotham/Batsignal, size/angle of the chemical works etc). Given that it's so recent, perhaps he used the composition of the Egyptian poster for inspiration!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:36:04 AM by Tob »

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 08:32:48 AM »
If I collected prints that would be on my list, love it!

I've found the artwork for the Egyptian version on Pinterest with a comment that is 2 years old, so I guess it's been around for a couple of years.

I've found a similar version with the exact same Joker and many of the same elements that was posted 6 years ago here:

https://jideovision.tumblr.com/post/82407759290/batman-tim-burton-1989-poster-designed-by-jid%C3%A9

Actually just found this artist:

https://www.facebook.com/Metaluna5Media/photos/a.171464966201957/3396830866998668/

Maybe it's his work? Just messaged him to find out.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 09:36:26 AM »
It seems clear that the people who made these did get most, if not all, of the images they started with online.

And yes, we have no clue how these were created or used. Several have tape stains on the back indicating they were displayed somewhere, but where and under what circumstances remains a mystery. Perhaps an Egyptian version of "Alamo Drafthouse", likely unlicensed?

Has the consignor  not been able to give you any additional information about how they obtained these posters?

Could someone be printing these at home, hanging them on their wall and then sending them to you?

For the Batman noted above, your condition description says it was folded but has been laying flat "for a long time" - how long could it have been laying flat if the artwork was just created 6 months ago?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 11:18:45 PM »

For the Batman noted above, your condition description says it was folded but has been laying flat "for a long time" - how long could it have been laying flat if the artwork was just created 6 months ago?
I don't think that has anything to do with provenance, more like light folds have been ironed out with Bruce's superflattening machine. 

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 10:50:14 AM »
I don't think that has anything to do with provenance, more like light folds have been ironed out with Bruce's superflattening machine.

Cool with me.
I bought one and would love to more about it, (in fact this thread is reminding me I didn't even open it yet, so I should at least take a look at it).

Hope I didn't scare Bruce away with my question, but it seems he would be in the best position to ask the consignor where exactly they came from or how they were used. Going to the source is where the search for "additional information" should begin.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 05:51:14 PM »
Bruce, did you ever get a chance to ask the consignor about the origin of these posters?
www.Kaijuposters.com