Author Topic: Rice Paper-Only Backing  (Read 5424 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Rice Paper-Only Backing
« on: June 25, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »
Over on MOPO, poster dealer Helmut Hamm posted this note about having some of his posters backed with rice paper only, rather than with the added linen backing. (this was a response to a discussion about how some linen backed posters can develop foxing or other issues, over the years, in some cases).

It sounds like a technique used more by museums and conservators, in cases and can be mucvh more expensive to have done. Anyone else familiar with this type of backing method?

It sounds like an interesting alternative to traditional linen backing and something I'd explore in order to stabilize and conserve a poster.  thumbsup.gif

Here's Helmut's post:

"I had the same experience, fortunately only with  a single onesheet that I bought from a major dealer in the mid-90s. It looked great when I bought it. I framed it and it turned to absolute horrible a few years later.

These days, I very much prefer backing on Japanese rice paper, and only for posters that actually need preservation. This process requires a lot more skill than linen backing, so it is usually done by high-skilled professional. From what I know, the few people in the US who can do it mainly work for the museums and/or are ridiculously expensive.

Rice paper backing results in a poster that still feels like a poster, and any restoration or paper replacement can be easily detected from the backside.

Helmut"

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:01:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4531

Re: Rice Paper-Only Backing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:41:25 AM »
But proper linen backing involves a buffer paper (called Masa paper) in between the linen and the poster...  I guess Masa paper and rice paper aren't much different... the linen is just there to give more support to the poster and buffer paper to act as buffer (foxing, humidity, etc.).  i think indeed that poster could be backed with rice paper (or any PH free paper) only and even be folded.

I had seen in a video on YouTube a guy doing linen backing without the buffer paper. 

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »
Rice paper is a generic term also known as mulberry paper.  It can be made of other things but 99% of the time when someone says rice paper they are talking about mulberry.  You can find different kozo (mulberry) all over the world.  I posted about using mulberry before for paperbacking.  I've back 30+ posters on mulberry so far and it is out standing.  Museums use mulberry paper.  Chinese calligraphers and artist use mulberry to back paintings.  I buy my mulberry from a traditional Chinese art company.

Here is a daybill on mulberry:

You can also just throw it on any piece of holytex and back something quick:

Video of removing:
Video of removing the holytex:

War Wagon on Mulberry and trimmed to the edge:

It's less expensive and quicker compared to linenbacking.  It is also easier to touch to poster up because it is attached directly to a hard surface.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:53:30 AM »
But proper linen backing involves a buffer paper (called Masa paper) in between the linen and the poster...  I guess Masa paper and rice paper aren't much different... the linen is just there to give more support to the poster and buffer paper to act as buffer (foxing, humidity, etc.).  i think indeed that poster could be backed with rice paper (or any PH free paper) only and even be folded.

I had seen in a video on YouTube a guy doing linen backing without the buffer paper.

Traditional masa paper is about 70 gsm which is thicker than traditional mulberry/rice papers at 25 to 40 gsm...  I have backed inserts with masa and the masa has a strong memory.  Depending on the orientation of the masa paper the backed poster will have a curl long ways or short.  With mulberry, I've never encountered a post backing curl.

guest4531

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 02:00:00 AM »
Traditional masa paper is about 70 gsm which is thicker than traditional mulberry/rice papers at 25 to 40 gsm...  I have backed inserts with masa and the masa has a strong memory.  Depending on the orientation of the masa paper the backed poster will have a curl long ways or short.  With mulberry, I've never encountered a post backing curl.

Thanks for these very useful information Charlie !!  Top videos !

Offline Ba517401

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 04:00:21 PM »
Rice paper is a generic term also known as mulberry paper.  It can be made of other things but 99% of the time when someone says rice paper they are talking about mulberry.  You can find different kozo (mulberry) all over the world.  I posted about using mulberry before for paperbacking.  I've back 30+ posters on mulberry so far and it is out standing.  Museums use mulberry paper.  Chinese calligraphers and artist use mulberry to back paintings.  I buy my mulberry from a traditional Chinese art company.

Here is a daybill on mulberry:

You can also just throw it on any piece of holytex and back something quick:

Video of removing:
Video of removing the holytex:

War Wagon on Mulberry and trimmed to the edge:

It's less expensive and quicker compared to linenbacking.  It is also easier to touch to poster up because it is attached directly to a hard surface.

Charlie
I know this is an old post, but was wondering if you have ever had a 1 sheet restored with the Japanese Rice Paper (Mullberry) and if so, how did it turn out?  Was the poster "rollable" when sent back to you?  Do you have a photo of the restored 1 sheet?  I thank you, in advance

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 01:43:42 PM »
Charlie
I know this is an old post, but was wondering if you have ever had a 1 sheet restored with the Japanese Rice Paper (Mullberry) and if so, how did it turn out?  Was the poster "rollable" when sent back to you?  Do you have a photo of the restored 1 sheet?  I thank you, in advance

Sorry I missed this...

I have paper backed a double crown with no problem. They are for sure rollable although I did not roll these specifically.  Paperbacking is done quite a
bit by european conservators.  If I were to ever start back up again - I would likely go all out on paperbacking. I think it is much more natural. There is only one piece of material shrinking and swelling against the poster. It feels great, basically like a thicker poster. I am all for conservation and support and moving away from desire for permanent mediums. Just support and water colors. I've also been studying up on pressing. Now only to find the time.

Offline manyposter

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 05:44:44 PM »
Hi

New here, but not new to posters or rice paper backing. Had a guy here who did a wonderful job, but he has retired.
If I am not going to do it myself, and I am not, does anyone have a rice paper (or linen) mounter they recommend?
Ideally in the San Francisco Bay Area, but not necessarily.  Feel free to PM me if you don't want to recommend someone
on an open forum or if that is not allowed.  Assuming I can receive PMs here.

I appreciate the way backing flattens and strengthens a poster, but also that the piece is cleaned safely in the process. 

Thanks in advance!