Author Topic: October 2020  (Read 22323 times)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: October 2020
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 01:30:41 PM »
As I mentioned before, it's been a real slow couple of months when it comes to collecting movie posters.  There's just nothing out there these days.  In any case, I recently picked up a lovely stone litho for an obscure 1934 Edgar Wallace adaptation called Mystery Liner (now I'm going to track down that movie as I like to watch every movie that I collect paper on).

Unfortunately, I'm unable to post a photo of said poster; for some reason when I click on the "Attachments and other options" link, I'm only given the following options: "Notify me of replies", "Don't use smileys" and "Return to this topic".  Maybe there is something I'm not doing right here.  Anyone knows what could be the issue?

Hi Antoine1973,

I’ve had to temporarily turn off the attachment functionality because our disc allowance is full - I’m discussing with T, Holiday and Jason about increasing this, but for now, if you email me the image, I’ll add it to your post using my hosting.

Thanks
Tob
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:50:59 PM by Tob »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2020, 01:33:37 PM »
Still with u on this...  haven’t bought anything worth showing since mid-summer.  The market is dry dry dry.  I’m not really sure why.  Collectors are obviously wealthier than most (just look at the 100s of dollars HA gets on items worth $20) and still out there ready to buy.  The demand is there, not the products.  People are holding off.  Not quite sure why.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2020, 03:05:22 PM »
You bought them all T. Nothing left. The older generation now hang on to all the posters. The newbies can now only find Mex lobby cards

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 05:46:47 PM »
The very reason for my asking sir!!

That would have been end-of-world, catastrophic.

But good to have it confirmed.  Kudos to your lady.

Thanks, Simes. She was genuinely delighted when I told her about the reaction from the fine folk here on APF to her little poster foray.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 08:31:45 PM »
Tob, I just emailed you the image, thank you for offering to post it for me.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 08:48:43 PM »
Got it! And no problem. Lovely poster.

As I mentioned before, it's been a real slow couple of months when it comes to collecting movie posters.  There's just nothing out there these days.  In any case, I recently picked up a lovely stone litho for an obscure 1934 Edgar Wallace adaptation called Mystery Liner (now I'm going to track down that movie as I like to watch every movie that I collect paper on).

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 11:20:07 PM »
Thanks Tobin (and again thanks for posting my pic!). 

I'm always interested in watching a movie based on the work of the extremely prolific Edgar Wallace, who died suddenly from undiagnosed diabetes during the initial drafting of "King Kong" (1933), which came out the year before "Mystery Liner" was released.  In addition to creating Kong, he wrote 18 stage plays, 957 short stories, and over 170 novels, 12 in 1929 alone. More than 160 films have been made of his work, a good chunk of them in Germany in the 1960s, a subgroup of crime stories which came to be collectively known as Krimis (Germany's answer to the Italian Giallo).

Offline Steven11788

• Beginner
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2020, 12:18:26 AM »
nothing to giant and some dont consider these legit posters but I always loved this art. 18x36
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 12:19:46 AM by Steven11788 »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2020, 03:11:55 AM »
You bought them all T. Nothing left. The older generation now hang on to all the posters. The newbies can now only find Mex lobby cards

Mex lobby cards are in abundance sure, but even the Mexican one sheet market is dry!

What am I supposed to waste my money on these days?

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2020, 04:12:13 AM »
You bought them all T. Nothing left.

That's it, I knew there was a reason my poster buying days have totally dried up of late, I think you've hit the nail on the head, lets all blame T laugh1 only kidding T ;)

No seriously, I agree with all of you saying how quiet things have been in the world of poster collecting this year, I think it's all down to the fact that the world truly has gone mad this year with Covid 19 and all the problems it's caused around it, and if anything it looks like these next couple of months are going to be an even bigger test certainly in the UK and across Europe with lockdowns happening again all over the place.

I think it's just made a lot of poster seller's shut up shop for a while because of concerns sending stuff out, plus! I think many collector's are worried about spending to much cash in these current troubling times.

Whatever the reasons 2020 has certainly been a strange old crappy year for many there's no doubt about that. :(
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:15:07 AM by Test1 »

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2020, 12:36:58 PM »
Got it! And no problem. Lovely poster.

Really gorgeous poster, Antoine1973, the color is fantastic!

Love seeing that old paper :)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2020, 05:08:08 PM »
I see dead people!

Great poster!  AND FOLDED :)

Did you ever get B&B?

T
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:51:25 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »
That's it, I knew there was a reason my poster buying days have totally dried up of late, I think you've hit the nail on the head, lets all blame T laugh1

Hahaha that's funny!  I wish.  Be done w this shit.

In all seriousness though, why do you fine folks think collectors are not selling?  The money is there.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2020, 05:59:01 PM »
Hahaha that's funny!  I wish.  Be done w this shit.

In all seriousness though, why do you fine folks think collectors are not selling?  The money is there.

T

I still think the slow down kicked in when Covid 19 really took off earlier in the year when there were lockdowns all over the world it seemed to put a lot of seller's off of shipping stuff out and things have just never really got going ever since, I guess it's because of the stop, start nature of all these lockdowns in different countries, I'm in the UK and they are starting to go loopy over here again so much so that I think many people are finally getting fed up with it all and have had enough of it all now.

Personally I've still been keeping an eye on the poster market but simply have found it real hard to find anything of interest of late and the sort of posters I want are starting to get truly expensive nowadays so are becoming out of reach for me anyway.

And you saying "the money is there" T, I get the feeling the way 2020 has gone for a lot of people many poster collector's are probably thinking a little harder before every purchase, I certainly am in these current crazy times.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2020, 06:33:11 PM »
I don't know, man.  Like I said earlier, you look at the stuff HA is selling every week (easy to find cheap stuff), the crazy prices achieved, and you realize people are still spending a lot of dough.  Collectors have a lot of discretionary money to begin with (they wouldn't be collectors otherwise, spending money on frivolous stuff).  I think the money is there but the goods are not.  I could be wrong.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2020, 03:37:28 AM »
I don't know, man.  Like I said earlier, you look at the stuff HA is selling every week (easy to find cheap stuff), the crazy prices achieved, and you realize people are still spending a lot of dough.  Collectors have a lot of discretionary money to begin with (they wouldn't be collectors otherwise, spending money on frivolous stuff).  I think the money is there but the goods are not.  I could be wrong.

T

No, in all honesty T your probably right mate, and you make some good points, I personally tend to stick with a few of my regular and trusted contacts so I'm probably not the best person to comment on the overall poster market, I rarely take much notice of the auction sites myself, so the chances are your thoughts on the subject are probably more likely to be correct that mine 8)

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2020, 11:17:45 PM »
I got the Taxi Driver Egyptian poster at EMP on Tuesday. Will upload an image tomorrow. Never seen one before.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:25:38 PM by Ratzkywatzky »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2020, 11:24:45 PM »
No, in all honesty T your probably right mate, and you make some good points, I personally tend to stick with a few of my regular and trusted contacts so I'm probably not the best person to comment on the overall poster market, I rarely take much notice of the auction sites myself, so the chances are your thoughts on the subject are probably more likely to be correct that mine 8)

Just check emovie prices yesterday...

Goonies map $925
Totoro B1 $850
Black Swan $487
Goonies reg $460
Deer Hunter $420

I mean come on!!!  None of these posters are worth that.  Not even half of that, and I own them all (multiple of them).  So there is money out there and there is demand.  That's my 2c anyway.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2020, 11:40:28 AM »
Here it is...

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2020, 12:53:30 PM »
Just check emovie prices yesterday...

Goonies map $925
Totoro B1 $850
Black Swan $487
Goonies reg $460
Deer Hunter $420

I mean come on!!!  None of these posters are worth that.  Not even half of that, and I own them all (multiple of them).  So there is money out there and there is demand.  That's my 2c anyway.

T

Hey! T,

I'll hold my hands up and admit those prices don't mean a great deal to me mate as they are not in a poster market I buy from, but, if you say none of those posters on the list are worth the asking price then I believe you, with your large poster collection and the fact you own them all you certainly have a much better idea than me about them, so I'll take your word for it notworthy.gif

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »

And now we know why they are not coming to market.  ;D
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2020, 09:52:17 PM »
Hey! T,

I'll hold my hands up and admit those prices don't mean a great deal to me mate as they are not in a poster market I buy from, but, if you say none of those posters on the list are worth the asking price then I believe you, with your large poster collection and the fact you own them all you certainly have a much better idea than me about them, so I'll take your word for it notworthy.gif

Like I said, I may be wrong, and if you ask my wife, I am wrong ALL THE TIME!  So there.  This being said, I can only tell you that I bought all these posters (and multiple times) for a fraction of what they sell for on auction sites.  Which leads me to think that a lot of people either do not care to look around or have too much money to spend.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2020, 09:53:07 PM »
And now we know why they are not coming to market.  ;D
Hey man, I see, I buy.  If the price is right.  Don't we all?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2020, 07:49:47 AM »
Like I said, I may be wrong, and if you ask my wife, I am wrong ALL THE TIME!  So there.  This being said, I can only tell you that I bought all these posters (and multiple times) for a fraction of what they sell for on auction sites.  Which leads me to think that a lot of people either do not care to look around or have too much money to spend.

T

As I said T those posters you listed are not ones I really know about myself, I'm guessing from the titles they are all US posters? if so I can tell you that I don't have any US posters in my collection, it's of course not that I don't like them or anything like that, far from it, I just don't know enough about them that's why I honestly would not know a good price from a bad one other than just going with my own gut-feeling or purely from looking around online (or even asking on these very forums).

Only posters I have are a few UK Quads, a couple of UK One Sheets, 1 German poster & 1 Japan poster the rest of my collection and the main part of my collection is made up of Thai posters which is by far the posters I'm most interested in and even Thai posters I'm still learning about all the time in regard to how much some are truly worth and who to trust when buying them etc.

I'd be first to hold my hands up and admit in the short time I've been collecting posters (5 years or so approx.) I've certainly overspent on a few posters, but, also feel I've picked up a few for a good price, there's also posters I bought when I first started collecting that in all honesty I would not buy today usually because of condition and things like that, nowadays some of these ones bought I would probably pass on.

John thumbsup.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2020, 11:52:29 AM »
Oh yeah, I always forget that you are into Thai posters.  I was really after acquiring Back to the Future, Poltergeist, Gremlins and The Goonies (4 hard to find Spielberg titles) and ended up buying a dozen more while searching them.  Now that I have them, I don't search Thai posters anymore, but I should, they're great.

You should show us more of your collection.  I'm sure it's impressive.

T
My Personal Collection