Author Topic: October 2020  (Read 22322 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
October 2020
« on: October 03, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »
Howdy folks.  Not much posting or purchasing from me lately.  Really like the Japanese B1's and other stuff in the September thread.  I was a little surprised that the September thread only had one page and no one started October yet.  2020 is an interesting year.

I'm pretty stoked to acquire these Japanese B5's.  Not quite as rewarding as finding the larger formats, but some are fairly scarce, a small fraction of the price, easier to store, etc.  They're fun.

2020-10-03_01-58-34

2020-10-03_01-58-28

2020-10-03_01-58-39

2020-10-03_01-58-14

2020-10-03_01-58-44

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: October 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »
2020 definitely is an interesting year. 

I don't think people are buying much because there isn't much to buy.  I haven't bought anything interesting or worth sharing in months. 

A lot of my Ebay trusted sellers have disappeared, probably because they find it difficult to ship stuff in a timely manner.  I bought posters from France that took 4 months to come to me.  Still waiting on a bunch of stuff from the UK and Italy.  I personally don't care, things get to me when they get to me, but I know a lot of buyers have been complaining, so sellers close shop, because really it's not worth the headache. 

Congrats on the B5s.  Are these the double sided little pamphlets?  I have a stack of a few thousands of them that I have accumulated over the years.  I should look into it one of these days.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 06:00:58 PM »
Same here T, I haven't bought anything in weeks because there is nothing to buy these days, it's been dry as hell since the beginning of summer.  At this point it looks like I'll have to wait for Bruce's big Halloween sale and HA Signature auction in November for any new movie poster purchase.   

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »
Yeah, I usually don't check those sales until a couple days prior, so I hope there will be some good stuff there and not too much linenbacked shit.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 06:41:12 PM »
I personally don't care, things get to me when they get to me, but I know a lot of buyers have been complaining, so sellers close shop, because really it's not worth the headache. 

Agreed.

The same with items from the US.  Even with a bloody great big headline saying, Yunno, Covid might delay stuff, people whine.

Personally, I am fine with x months of delivery.  It's all in the process and so, in the fullness of time it will get to me.  Feel sorry for the sellers who have to put up with the whiners who think the world's situation affects everything Except the shipping.  FFS x 2.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 08:19:10 PM »
2020 definitely is an interesting year. 

I don't think people are buying much because there isn't much to buy.  I haven't bought anything interesting or worth sharing in months. 

A lot of my Ebay trusted sellers have disappeared, probably because they find it difficult to ship stuff in a timely manner.  I bought posters from France that took 4 months to come to me.  Still waiting on a bunch of stuff from the UK and Italy.  I personally don't care, things get to me when they get to me, but I know a lot of buyers have been complaining, so sellers close shop, because really it's not worth the headache. 

Congrats on the B5s.  Are these the double sided little pamphlets?  I have a stack of a few thousands of them that I have accumulated over the years.  I should look into it one of these days.

T

This year is definitely one for the ages.  If this joint were still the all politics forum, the server probably would have self-destructed.  faint2.gif

The delayed shipping dealio has not affected the few purchases I've made, I've heard plenty of horror stories though.  The only foreign country I've bought from lately is Japan.  FedEx international priority has amazed me each time.  About $30 and it arrives in 24 hours.  Truly exceptional.

The B5's are either fold-outs or double sided, and it's cool to see the shots from the films and the Japanese kanji text.  There are apps that can translate the text, although not the best translations.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 09:09:19 PM »
Yep thank ebay.  Total lack of seller empathy.  Buyer makes a claim because a package is late?  Too bad.  Covid delays clearly indicated when you ship?  Too bad.  Package is delayed but tracking clearly shows movement towards final destination?   Too bad.  I lost 300 bucks because my package was 14 hours (no shit) "late."   I only ship to north America now.  Ebay has to be one of the worst seller platforms around.  Complete inability to adapt to these evolving times.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 09:10:53 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Steven11788

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 10:02:28 PM »
Ive been trying to look for stuff but sadly a few I have let got seem to be non existent anymore. Bruces Halloween auction is the last big go  for me to find my obscure stuff

Offline italian_billboard

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 07:42:34 PM »
hello, i would like to share some of my recent acquisitions. i usually buy italian posters, as i'm italian  ;)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:45:20 AM by Tob »

Offline italian_billboard

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 07:44:35 PM »
i can't attach any pic. what's the problem?

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 05:20:58 AM »
i can't attach any pic. what's the problem?

Looks like our disk quota is full.

I'll PM you to get the image and will host it for you...

EDIT - now done  :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:45:38 AM by Tob »

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 05:29:09 PM »
I've never posted any of my acquisitions before but I thought this poster and the circumstances around it were worth sharing.

A few months ago, my girlfriend, who has little interest in posters but is nice enough to occasionally enquire about my collecting habit, asked what my most sought after poster was. I told her, top of the list, has to be the Japanese poster for David Cronenberg's Spider, but that it's a pretty hard one to find. Fast forward to the other day, my birthday, and my girlfriend hands me a tube. Well, you can guess what was inside it. She spent quite some time fruitlessly tracking down the poster (welcome to my world...) before asking her Japanese co-worker if he could help. He found one on a Japanese auction site and then kept checking with her if she was sure she wanted to buy a used poster for her boyfriend, thinking it was a weird thing to do. Luckily for me, she reassured him. The seller wouldn't ship outside of Japan so the co-worker had to get it shipped to his sister in Japan who sent it to the UK, where I am based. Anyway, I give the preamble because I can't quite believe the trouble she took to indulge me. She even felt bad that she'd been able to find it where I had failed!

And here is the poster. It's B1 size and rolled. I sent some pics to a super helpful APF member (he knows who he is -- thanks again) to get their view on whether it's the real deal or a repro, and he seemed pretty sure it's genuine. It measures up correctly. And frankly, even if it turns out to be a fake, I don't really care because a) it's a great image and, more importantly, b) as the old saying goes, it's the thought that counts.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »
THAT IS A NICE GIRLFRIEND!!!  MARRY HER!!!!!

My wife did the same thing years ago.  Then my girlfriend, she tracked down a Ferris Bueller intl. (the one w the Ferrari), gave it to me for Christmas, but I wasn't collecting much at the time and I inadvertently trashed it when I picked up boxes and wrapping paper.  She swore to not ever buy me another poster again and she has stuck to her word :)

Great poster, btw.  That's one I've always wanted but never managed to put my hands on.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 05:56:45 PM »
THAT IS A NICE GIRLFRIEND!!!  MARRY HER!!!!!

T

I just might have to do that! And thanks, Thierry, glad you like the poster, too. That is a real shame about your Bueller one though.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 06:03:25 PM »
No worries, I bought another one years later.  She still brings it up from time to time, though.  Women never forget!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 08:10:55 PM »
Great story! And I love that poster too, it’s not at all easy to find. A very thoughtful gift.

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 04:24:01 AM »
Thanks, Tob. As mentioned, it's one I've been hunting for for years so I am so pleased to have it in my collection. And the way it came about is an added bonus. Maybe I should set her loose on the rest of my want list?!  ;D

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 04:43:29 AM »
Congratulations, she sounds like a keeper! Could I send her my list...?

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 05:04:35 PM »
Thanks!

I’m sure she would be delighted to know her poster location services are now in high demand!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 10:56:40 AM »
Very cool, congrats. Wish my wife would do that.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »
Thank you! I don't quite know what I did to deserve such thought but I'm not complaining!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 05:31:22 AM »
Cracking story.  And not a little hilarious.

Did she have any problem with the packing?  Or was she fortunate enough to be buying it from someone who knew the ropes?

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2020, 12:41:08 PM »

Did she have any problem with the packing?  Or was she fortunate enough to be buying it from someone who knew the ropes?

I didn't think to ask her about the packing/unpacking. I assume the sister in Japan just stuck a new shipping label on the outside of the tube when she got it for its onward journey to the UK. There didn't seem to be the careful wrapping, tissue paper, bubble wrap, or what have you that you would get from anyone who knew what they were doing / had ever received a damaged poster before and vowed, not on my watch. Miraculously, it arrived unscathed. I don't even want to picture the scene if, after going to all that trouble, it had arrived damaged.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 06:05:52 AM »
I don't even want to picture the scene if, after going to all that trouble, it had arrived damaged.

The very reason for my asking sir!!

That would have been end-of-world, catastrophic.

But good to have it confirmed.  Kudos to your lady.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »
As I mentioned before, it's been a real slow couple of months when it comes to collecting movie posters.  There's just nothing out there these days.  In any case, I recently picked up a lovely stone litho for an obscure 1934 Edgar Wallace adaptation called Mystery Liner (now I'm going to track down that movie as I like to watch every movie that I collect paper on).

Unfortunately, I'm unable to post a photo of said poster; for some reason when I click on the "Attachments and other options" link, I'm only given the following options: "Notify me of replies", "Don't use smileys" and "Return to this topic".  Maybe there is something I'm not doing right here.  Anyone knows what could be the issue?