Author Topic: Matrix: "Double bullets at bottom" authentication issue  (Read 6137 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Matrix: "Double bullets at bottom" authentication issue
« on: December 20, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
I'd like to do an MPA article on the Matrix fake, if it really exists.  

I have what I believe is an original Matrix DS and an original Matrix video poster.  At the very bottom of each, you can clearly see two sets of two bullets.  (It also has laser sharp text, even for the very small text.)

According to onesheetindex.com, fakes of this poster crop out the lower bullet, so you only see one.  I've googled this and have not seen any other reference to this issue.

Does anyone have a Matrix fake/reprint with the lower bullet cropped out?  If so, we can compare photos and perhaps do a joint article for MPA.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Matrix: "Double bullets at bottom" authentication issue
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »
Interesting, give it a search on ebay and you might have some success.  All I have is the Japanese B1, and it crops the bottom just above the sole of his left boot.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

guest8

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:56:31 AM »
LOL .. Id say the easiest way to find a fake would be to surf movie goods .. and if their stock photo is the real deal you could buy one .. ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 12:37:01 PM »
LOL .. Id say the easiest way to find a fake would be to surf movie goods .. and if their stock photo is the real deal you could buy one .. ;)

Thanks for advice. The Moviegoods stock photo in fact does appear to be cut off right below the shoe. However, I'm more concerned about a more challenging double-sided fake, if it exists. I don't recall that Moviegoods sells double-sided reprints.  Also, as I've said on other posts, the text of Moviegoods posters is very out-of-focus and pixelated - an obvious reprint.  

(Attached are pics of my Moviegoods Superfly reprint. The art is quite good but the text is really out-of-focus. They made zero effort to try to make the text look sharp.)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »
Have you ever heard of a repro on this poster?  I've never seen nor heard of a ds reprint, though that doesn't mean too much.  The ss version is repro'd a lot, and moreso the several international versions.  I have originals of all of them.  I'd be happy to cooperate with you on this one, but I really have never seen a repro that was good enough - vis a vis the ds version - to warrant an authentication.

This is sorta like Donnie Darko.  If you have a ds version, there's no repro that I know of, so you have an original.  it was the ss version that has been rerpo'd to death.

Thoughts?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 11:31:31 PM »
This is sorta like Donnie Darko.  If you have a ds version, there's no repro that I know of, so you have an original.  it was the ss version that has been rerpo'd to death

I just came across a Darko SS in a bunch of posters I bought. Is there any tell-tale signs to tell the difference between a repro and an original?
Chris S.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »
I just came across a Darko SS in a bunch of posters I bought. Is there any tell-tale signs to tell the difference between a repro and an original?

Hi Chris,

I used to have an authentication page up on a site called movieposterauthenticating.com, but alas, it has gone away. You can go to the wayback machine and find the page, but they did not preserve the images on the page showing the comparison. Long story short, the dimensions of the original and the fakes are exactly the same so that won't help. The only way to tell is based on the color density of the black.  Side by side, an original and a fake are as distinct as light and dark.  But without the comparitor, it is hard.

I'd suggest comparing yours to an imagine of someone who's handled a trusted known authentic version.  Check out emovieposter.com and go to their archives and pull up a copy on the screen. Try comparing yours to that. But, lighting will play a part so take it with a grain of salt.  Good luck!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 03:38:59 PM »
It's the same with so many posters that are single sided.  The first Harry Potter and Lost in Translation Johansson style come to mind.  Reprints and originals are the same.  It's only when you put them side by side that you see the difference.  Which is why it's better to go DS.  Of course, in the case of Donnie Darko, it's much harder since there were so few DS posters printed.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 09:48:38 PM »
Thank you both for the information. I'lll hold on to it for now.
Chris S.