Author Topic: Reservoir Dogs US 1-sheet  (Read 6893 times)

the-jace

Reservoir Dogs US 1-sheet
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »
Hey all! Are there any authentication guides out there with full comparison shots between a real and a fake Res Dogs 1-sheet? I just snagged one yesterday and have some doubts to it's legitimacy. Thanks in advance!

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Re: Reservoir Dogs US 1-sheet
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:44:04 AM »
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
I checked http://movieposterauthenticating.com/Movie%20Poster%20Authenticating.html but they don't seem to have RESERVOIR DOGS listed.  You might want to keep this link for future reference.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Hey all! Are there any authentication guides out there with full comparison shots between a real and a fake Res Dogs 1-sheet? I just snagged one yesterday and have some doubts to it's legitimacy. Thanks in advance!

Hey JAce,

Was this the one on ebay from the seller who had a Spiderman WTC recalled poster by chance? If so, I chose not to bid on the reservoir dogs poster due to the fact the the Spidey recalled poster they had listed appeared to be a fake. I noticed in all the listings, he/she listed that they were all theater issued or something along those lines.

When it arrives you may be able to tell by the feel of the paper. A while back I purchased a Kill Bill Vol. 2 US onesheet and when it came I new right away it was a fake. The paper had a plastic feel to it and a strong chemical smell to it. So smell your poster too.

Cj

the-jace

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks folks!

Yep CJ, that's the one. I had serious doubts about the spiderman so I stayed away. My desire to have the Dogs was just too great however and I justified that desire with the fact that his Kill Bill (Vol 1 anyway) was legit. I was hoping that he was just a former theater employee since he's had banners and a ton of crap posters that one could only get working in a theater!

The problem I see now, is that he used that same tagline "theater issued" on all of his posters including a Moonraker printers proof (theater issued my ass!) as well as a jap poster or two. He didnt get those working in theaters and so he may just have been a collector who may have knowingly or unknowingly bought a reprint of dogs (it is, afterall a fairly rare and expensive poster) and then passed it onto ebay when he decided to sell his collection. He does have excellent feedback though...

We'll see.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »
heres something strange I noticed about cropping at the top.  there is a significantly less margin above the text at the top and a small difference on the bottom border.  Anyone have any insight if both are legit?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:44:00 PM by jedgerley »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 03:06:36 PM »
the poster shown in the above post on the left is a definite fake.
the lack of space above & below is one indicator as is the color of the Reservoir Dogs title

I'm not so sure the one on the right is authentic either, but it could just be photogrpahy

below is an authentic 1sh

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:07:45 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 03:11:02 PM »
The paper had a plastic feel to it and a strong chemical smell to it. So smell your poster too.

the smell doesn't mean much CJ. I have original posters that smell also for various titles.
don't forget that a large variety of printing businesses are used to print posters
there used to be one here in Vegas.. now gone

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »
well i cant go by the color they all look different:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/RESERVOIR%2520DOGS/country/U.S./type/1sh/archive.html

I am wondering if the stock image one (bottom left) just uses a matte border for keeping the poster flat for the picture and it appears to be cropped but isnt.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:25:36 PM by jedgerley »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
the poster shown in the above post on the left is a definite fake.
the lack of space above & below is one indicator as is the color of the Reservoir Dogs title

I'm not so sure the one on the right is authentic either, but it could just be photogrpahy

below is an authentic 1sh

Thanks for the help. You saved me time and troubles down the road.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
the one at bottom left is a known repro
I have one somewhere for comparative usage. The logo is the wrong color, the bg is the wrong color, the poster is cropped

well i cant go by the color they all look different:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/RESERVOIR%2520DOGS/country/U.S./type/1sh/archive.html

I am wondering if the stock image one (bottom left) just uses a matte border for keeping the poster flat for the picture and it appears to be cropped but isnt.

-------

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »
the one at bottom left is a known repro
I have one somewhere for comparative usage. The logo is the wrong color, the bg is the wrong color, the poster is cropped

ya i agree its cropped but as far as color its hard to tell since color bars arent used in the photo.  i do agree the title color is off.
but I believe it just looks cropped due to them using a frame/matte around the poster to keep it flat instead of magnets.

I looked at other stock photos of posters released around that time and they are croppped a little as well.  So I will let you know but am fairly certain its cropped due to the frame border they were using then.

heres another example of the suspected same white frame that is cropping this Matrix poster. i hope its a white frame or this is a fake too

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:26:48 PM by jedgerley »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
That "frame" certainly looks to have the same kind of stain marks on the upper left and right sides, too.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »
Jason, it would be difficult for me to explain completely, but I look at that image and I know 100% it is the bootleg (or just a repro for retail sales)

-------

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
Jason, it would be difficult for me to explain completely, but I look at that image and I know 100% it is the bootleg (or just a repro for retail sales)

ya i understand I know how the color of title looks off Relative to the baackground.  

Do you see how they used a white frame when they took pics of posters in the archive that cropped the posters?
I was a art director/graphic designer in the past for movie studios so I know a little bit about coloring. I usually stay inside the lines..usually :)

My best work was when i was bored like I "accidentally" changed the studio logo Canal Spain and "accidentally cut off the C and the S

Canal
Spain

anal
pain

and The celloist Yo Yo Ma  "accidentally" was billed as Yo Ma Ma.......oopsy lol

This occured on print ads and not posters btw.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:49:19 PM by jedgerley »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 09:03:52 PM »
To bad that there isn't a cluster analysis of all Reservoir Dogs versions...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 10:29:26 PM »
To bad that there isn't a cluster analysis of all Reservoir Dogs versions...

To bad.  cheers

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »
Nitpicking typos is the last, sad desperate act of a delusional clown...

Hope that works out for you!

Mirosae

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »
ya i understand I know how the color of title looks off Relative to the baackground.  

Do you see how they used a white frame when they took pics of posters in the archive that cropped the posters?
I was a art director/graphic designer in the past for movie studios so I know a little bit about coloring. I usually stay inside the lines..usually :)

My best work was when i was bored like I "accidentally" changed the studio logo Canal Spain and "accidentally cut off the C and the S

Canal
Spain

anal
pain

and The celloist Yo Yo Ma  "accidentally" was billed as Yo Ma Ma.......oopsy lol

This occured on print ads and not posters btw.

;D i do this all the time!!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »
Nitpicking typos is the last, sad desperate act of a delusional clown...

Hope that works out for you!

To funny!  cheers

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:34:34 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »
;D i do this all the time!!

You do?!?!    awwwwww you are bad :)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 12:02:27 AM »

I believe you know what you speak of. I have put my money on it..

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 02:11:35 AM »
anyone want a genuine aussie VIDEO one sheet?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 02:29:01 AM »
I believe you know what you speak of. I have put my money on it..

cheers

-------