Author Topic: Fingerprint removal from Insert.  (Read 4405 times)

Offline darthbooth1978

• Beginner
Fingerprint removal from Insert.
« on: August 10, 2020, 12:15:33 PM »
Kicking off my first post with one that needs some advice regarding cleaning a poster.

Been collecting Inserts for about 20 years, but couple of them have stubborn fingerprint marks on them. Wouldn’t normally bother me but one in particular (Bladerunner 82) has them in the bottom black area where the credits are (see photos) and it’s driving me nuts cause I want this framing soon, and when you look at it from an angle it’s spoiling what is an otherwise lovely poster. Not sure how long they’ve been there, but longer than I’ve owned the poster.

I’ve purchased one of those document cleaning pads which has yet to arrive to see if that’s any good, but interested in your experience with similar situations?

Thanks for any advice in advance,

Kris.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:21:00 PM by darthbooth1978 »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Fingerprint removal from Insert.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 06:29:42 AM »
Is the finger print sticky?

What has made the mark?  Is it a substance, or just the oils of the print?

Since the Insert is of card substance, does a duster cloth rubbed with some vigour not do it any favours?

Offline darthbooth1978

• Beginner
Re: Fingerprint removal from Insert.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 07:38:04 AM »
Is the finger print sticky?

What has made the mark?  Is it a substance, or just the oils of the print?

Since the Insert is of card substance, does a duster cloth rubbed with some vigour not do it any favours?

I’m really not too sure. The poster has been rolled in storage since I bought it nearly 20 years ago. I haven’t tried doing anything to remove it yet as didn’t want to balls anything up by damaging it.

It looks like old fingerprints from when it was previously owned, but not sure if it’s just been there since the early 80’s so could be well stuck to the paper.

I’ve ordered one of those cleaning pads people use on paper as it states it can be used for fingerprints so I’ll let ya’ll know how I get on.