Author Topic: SENDING 260 Posters from UK to USA  (Read 6101 times)

Offline ukposterboy

• Beginner
SENDING 260 Posters from UK to USA
« on: May 19, 2020, 06:02:24 AM »
Hi - Looking for some advice if possible - My son has created a poster (we are in UK) and sold it to over 270 people is USA, we now have the task of shipping these overseas. I was wondering if anyone offers a service where we can print the poster from the US and ship direct? It's the same poster print but will require 270 separate different address's?  OR if anyone has any guidance on sending Poster Tubes from UK to USA, looking online but prices seem crazy. The poster is A3 size (11"x17")

Thanks very much.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: SENDING 260 Posters from UK to USA
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 07:14:31 AM »
It sounds like it'd just be a digital print? Is it limited? Are the customers expecting it to be signed and numbered by the artist?

I had a google and this article is good and covers a lot of aspects to selling art online:
https://www.shopify.co.uk/blog/211990409-how-to-sell-art-online

Links from that article include sites like below who can handle printing and distribution in the US:
https://www.mimeo.co.uk/support/print-and-distribute/
https://apps.shopify.com/printful

I suppose you'd then have to weigh up the cost against printing and distributing yourself. If you do it yourself, it'll obviously be time consuming and you should learn how to ship posters/prints correctly (as a high damage rate will annoy your customers and hit your pocket).

Finally - I know a chap in the UK who ships art for a living. Feel free to PM me if you want a quote from him and I'll give you his contact details. He has business accounts with several couriers which might be cheaper than RM.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:15:56 AM by Tob »

Offline ukposterboy

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 08:02:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Nothing is signed - It's just a A3 music poster that he designed and lots of people have asked to buy it. He's sold it and now we are arranging for Prints and Tubes. I was just wondering if worth trying to do a deal with someone in the US to post.   Royal mail are charging £5.55 to send (un-tracked and un-signed) which is actually not a bad price.

IF you have a contact who ships for a living that would be great to see if we can do any better - We have about 400 to send worldwide.

He has the time to post and package as doing A-Levels and not really working that much!

Thank you.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 08:40:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Nothing is signed - It's just a A3 music poster that he designed and lots of people have asked to buy it. He's sold it and now we are arranging for Prints and Tubes. I was just wondering if worth trying to do a deal with someone in the US to post.   Royal mail are charging £5.55 to send (un-tracked and un-signed) which is actually not a bad price.

IF you have a contact who ships for a living that would be great to see if we can do any better - We have about 400 to send worldwide.

He has the time to post and package as doing A-Levels and not really working that much!

Thank you.

£5.55 seems a decent price, but remember to add in the cost of good tubes to survive international post and other supplies e.g. if you're shipping rolled, you'd probably want craft paper to wrap the poster in to prevent damage as in this guide - http://www.moviepostercollectors.guide/Shipping_Posters.html. If he has time himself, it could be a good project for him!

I will send you the private message with the email address of my friend. He ships artwork for some of the Mondo artists like Tula Lotay, Olly Moss, Jock etc. so is experienced and uses good quality materials to ensure safe arrival. He can also provide info on printing if needed.

I suspect getting it printed and shipped from the US may be cheapest, but make sure you get references as the last thing you probably want is for a company to ship the posters badly and you end up with damaged posters and unhappy buyers. When I have bought posters/prints from artists/shops and received badly packaged/damaged items, it puts me off ordering again in the future.

Offline ukposterboy

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 09:03:17 AM »
Thank you. Some good info.

I have received your friends details and dropped over a mail - much appreciated. I've added a link to the Poster - Its the first one, don't ask me about it as I don't get it....All I know is he has 29,500 likes and people seem to have gone mad for it! All a great learning experience.

https://www.instagram.com/bychildish/?hl=en

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 09:35:27 AM »
That's a really cool design! I know who Tyler the Creator is, but I haven't listened to much of his music. It must be really exciting for your son, I wish him luck!

Offline ukposterboy

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 10:26:26 AM »
TOB,

I'm a bit late replying BUT just wanted to say thanks for passing over your contact. My Son used his services to ship all of his international Posters and has since done another one and used them again.

Great when a plan comes together.

All the best - Mark

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 01:00:22 PM »
TOB,

I'm a bit late replying BUT just wanted to say thanks for passing over your contact. My Son used his services to ship all of his international Posters and has since done another one and used them again.

Great when a plan comes together.

All the best - Mark

No problem, Mark! Happy to help. Good luck to your son, I'll keep an eye on his Instagram account and I hope he continues his success.

Cheers,
Tob