Author Topic: UK shipping price gouge (?)..advice needed ASAP please  (Read 7577 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
UK shipping price gouge (?)..advice needed ASAP please
« on: June 03, 2020, 09:44:45 AM »
 Bought an item from a UK based company (who also have a US branch) about a month ago. They said they wouldn't and couldn't ship due to the pandemic, as the item I bought is 'large'. The item is listed with info: 'Due to the large size of this piece, customers should request a shipping quote before ordering.'

I requested a quote several times before I purchased, and they either didn't respond or said they couldn't give me one.
Didn't want to miss it, so I purchased it after doing some of my own shipping research of larger items, UK to US and came up with what seemed a feasible amount in my head, best and worst case scenario, and today I get a shipping quote that is literally 3-4x what I came up with.

Item size - 101.18" x 0.39" x 25.98" (257cm x 1cm x 66cm).

Can anyone in the UK or with experience shipping to or from the UK provide any advice? Am I getting ripped off?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: UK shipping price gouge (?)..advice needed ASAP please
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 09:50:22 AM »
Try plugging dimensions and weight into these sites (note: You'll need to click the 'is your parcel longer than 1m' button):

www.parcel2go.com
www.parcelmonkey.co.uk

They're courier aggregators, so should give you an idea of prices across various couriers.

If it turns out you're being ripped off, you could ship to a member in the UK and get it resent to you?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 09:55:00 AM by Tob »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »
Sorry, both of those are a no go due to the size.

Try here instead:

https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 10:10:22 AM »
Thanks for the help. Yeah I initially tried those first ones and found what you did...too big.

Also tried the last one you just posted, and its roughly 100 pounds cheaper but still more expensive than I thought. Ugh. I'm more annoyed that they ignored my several emails about an estimate, ANY sort of range, but then just invoice me.

I was mistaken,

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 10:20:45 AM »
Yeah, that is crappy, they should have provided a quote to help you make a decision before purchasing. I hope you can at least get them to use a cheaper courier than their quote.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »
Found that DHL and TG Express are cheaper but they just messaged me that they do not use them.
I can make arrangements for my own freight agent and pay them packing fees? What is happening?? Why do they care to use a carrier they don't usually work with to get a customer both happy and out of their hair?

I was mistaken,

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 11:49:50 AM »
Where is the seller based?

Mark

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 02:02:19 PM »
Hi Mark.
Not sure where their shipping origin is, but their office is located in London...zip code is: WD3 6EP

They will not disclose shipping numbers, and expect me to accept a quote some guy sends me, the same guy who ignored all my questions pre-purchase re: shipping quotes before I bought, hence my hesitation and frustration.

In my googling this morning, it has been hard to find legitimate info in terms of who can go pick up and ship, among other issue, another one being I have no idea on final packaging dimensions and weight since they won't tell me. :/

I was mistaken,

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 02:15:00 PM »
If it's the company I think it is they aren't flexible with shipping. I was going to purchase a poster from them and they'd only other Fedex, when Royal Mail would have been fine. They wouldn't budge so that meant shipping was about 3x the price.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
Item size - 101.18" x 0.39" x 25.98" (257cm x 1cm x 66cm).

That's the craziest size listing ever - 8ft x 1/2" x 2ft.
I guess they are listing the open size of the poster? Is it folded, or does it have to ship rolled?

Pretty much zero auction houses are like eMovie when it comes to shipping.
And Heritage has greatly streamlined their charges the past few years (I won an item in their pre-Colombian art auction this past week and total shipping was under $17), but outside of that it's a crapshoot.
Most of the other auction houses use 3rd party carriers that charge for picking up, packing, materials, and then a surcharge on the postage also.
It's not unusual to end up with a $100+ quote for a single lobby card from the big two (Sotheby's and Christie's) and all the 2nd tier houses then make it seem like if they "only" quote you $75 they are doing you a favor.

Good luck with your current purchase.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »
Not sure where their shipping origin is, but their office is located in London...zip code is: WD3 6EP

I had a thought I could pick it up for you if it was central London but that out of town postcode is too far away from me. Sorry.

Mark

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 03:36:46 PM »
If it's the company I think it is they aren't flexible with shipping. I was going to purchase a poster from them and they'd only other Fedex, when Royal Mail would have been fine. They wouldn't budge so that meant shipping was about 3x the price.

So odd how a company, any company selling a good/service, is more worried about being aligned/in bed with a given shipper than customer satisfaction and service.

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 03:37:40 PM »
That's the craziest size listing ever - 8ft x 1/2" x 2ft.
I guess they are listing the open size of the poster? Is it folded, or does it have to ship rolled?

Pretty much zero auction houses are like eMovie when it comes to shipping.
And Heritage has greatly streamlined their charges the past few years (I won an item in their pre-Colombian art auction this past week and total shipping was under $17), but outside of that it's a crapshoot.
Most of the other auction houses use 3rd party carriers that charge for picking up, packing, materials, and then a surcharge on the postage also.
It's not unusual to end up with a $100+ quote for a single lobby card from the big two (Sotheby's and Christie's) and all the 2nd tier houses then make it seem like if they "only" quote you $75 they are doing you a favor.

Good luck with your current purchase.

It's not a poster and cannot roll...its wood.  :-\

Appreciate it.

I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 03:38:25 PM »
I had a thought I could pick it up for you if it was central London but that out of town postcode is too far away from me. Sorry.

Mark

Mark, incredibly grateful you even entertained the notion to help out in that way, super thankful and appreciative.

I was mistaken,