Author Topic: War Posters  (Read 35911 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: War Posters
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
Yes Ted full set, There's 8 stills in 99% of U.K. Front of House sets. The pics are not the best, My camera is going in the bin if it doesn't pull it's socks up >:(
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »
No fading or discoloration in any of those stills...marvellous.

Stew

And just to link up to another thread these were kept by a Projectionist in his cupboard at home with quite a few other stills from the time period, in a cardboard box with some Famous monsters mags thrown in, and uncovered. I do think we can go over the top with storage. How were they looked after in the 60's, 70's?? no one cared!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »
Mostly for Harry, sorry for the poor pics My cheap camera is playing up.

U.K. F.O.H. stills form the 1943 release of Casablanca. These should not exist as, they were printed during the 2nd world war, and on non-sensitzed paper, as can be seen stated top left.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

Absolutely fantastic! You can't hear it right now, but I'm slow-clapping in your honor!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »
More than welcome Harry, I'll dig out my Maltase Falcon set when a apt thread comes up.

Does this count as war, it's the 67 re-release.

Juli

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2010, 06:38:18 PM »
Paul - I love those Casablanca stills. Do you mind me asking you how/where you got them? Do you think there is a way I could find at least one of those stills for a reasonable price or are they thousands of dollars like the posters?

~ Juli

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »
OK Paul I am with everyone else - those Casablanca stills are remarkable.

Can you explain (if you know) what the "sensitized paper" means?  Are you saying they should have disintegrated by now?
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2010, 03:51:52 AM »
I got the stills as said earlier from a guy who worked at a cinema from the mid 30's through to the 50's. He was retired when I met him, I had gone to buy some 8mm films from him. When we were talking I was telling him Horror films were my main collecting area, he said there was some Famous Monsters of Filmland mags he had in a box. At the time I was 5 missing from a full set so Said I would take a look. Lo and behold, there was about 14/15 of them, and 4 I didn't have. Wow I thought 4 missing numbers in one go. Now at this point he was lifting them out of this box and handing them to me, he says do you collect F.O.H. stills, to which I replied "yes of course", and he lifts out about 200+ F.O.H. stills. The first few were old not very interesting films, and only two of one title, four of another, Halfway down I come across The Maltese Falcon, Oh hell I thought, and started counting.....There was eight, total disbelief, and as I picked up that last still, it unveiled the Casablanca one, I started counting them again, and eight of them!!! what are the chance's. So I bought everything he had.

The Sensitised paper thing is it's not Photographic paper, my Guess was, as this was during WW2 with all the rationing, the stills were put straight on to poster paper, as they are very thin. I maybe wrong it's only my guess, maybe Bruce has some knowledge of this, or if anyone in the U.K. who was around at the time.

Weather any turn up Juli, I did see a set which was a surprise to me as I thought mine maybe the only one's to survive. It was a few years ago in a local, and I must say poorly advertised Auction. I thought I may steal these, being a general Auction but they went over £2000, so a bit rich for me. That's the thing I love about collecting, you just never know what's around the corner.   

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2010, 05:20:46 AM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2010, 02:44:35 PM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
and one that wasn't drawn by a 5 year old.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2010, 03:46:08 PM »
The Sensitised paper thing is it's not Photographic paper, my Guess was, as this was during WW2 with all the rationing, the stills were put straight on to poster paper, as they are very thin. I maybe wrong it's only my guess, maybe Bruce has some knowledge of this, or if anyone in the U.K. who was around at the time.
Hi, Paul!
I believe you're correct - I think you meant to say 'non-sensitized paper' as you did in your earlier posting - non-photographic paper, so printed with ink in a similar way to photographs in (old) newspapers rather than photo-litho or similar process.
Nice find!
Best wishes,
Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2010, 03:48:48 PM »
13 FIGHTING MEN...love those gatling guns...
Happiness is a belt-fed weapon...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
Thanks for that Terry, "Yes type in haste". It must be the only way it was done, though the Paper is marginally thicker than some of the poster paper of the time. That said they are quite delicate.   

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2010, 11:33:44 AM »
Think i`ll sneak this one in here..

Stew

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
Stew, nice quad...

I couldn't resist..
Europe's FINAL COUNTDOWN (with lyrics)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_ro2aerQg

Europe's FINAL COUNTDOWN (live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_IKcMl_a9A

Gotta love those 80s hair bands. Inspirin' a movie and all that...  mesmrized
BTW, I read somewhere that this song is on more iPods than any other single....WTF...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
One of my favourite posters is this German AO for THE LAST HUNTER, a great Actioner.

and the A1 aint bad either

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2010, 05:42:07 PM »
Great A0 Ari.......gonna have to locate me one of those!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
Great stuff again guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being away about a month Im late to these threads... 8)

French Sands of Iwo Jima

Japanese Gallipoli

Belgian Guns Of Navarone

German A0 Apocalypse Now

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »
Did you guy's run out of War Posters?

Here's two, one a bit so-so.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2011, 12:06:08 PM »
Ok...sellers picture, as this is coming from France,,Uk quad originally used for exhibition in Malta..now on its way to Scotland...

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2011, 12:09:16 PM »
I am really liking that Stew, I may have to get one myself.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
Ok...sellers picture, as this is coming from France,,Uk quad originally used for exhibition in Malta..now on its way to Scotland...

Stew

Cool poster Stew!

By the way, I don't own this, but did anyone see this uber rare style B0 Apocalypse Now sell at Profiles in History recently?  Crazy poster... I thought it was fitting for this thread.

http://www.profilesinhistory.com/items/hollywood-memorabilia-auction-43/apocalypse-now-large-format-japanese-b0-size-poster-rare-marlon-brando/napalm-style.html

Sold for $2124 after BP. 

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2011, 12:20:05 PM »
Thanks Paul and Harry... it was caught on a deep sea diving trawl off the bay...  ;D

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2011, 02:55:30 PM »
Cool poster Stew!

By the way, I don't own this, but did anyone see this uber rare style B0 Apocalypse Now sell at Profiles in History recently?  Crazy poster... I thought it was fitting for this thread.

http://www.profilesinhistory.com/items/hollywood-memorabilia-auction-43/apocalypse-now-large-format-japanese-b0-size-poster-rare-marlon-brando/napalm-style.html

Sold for $2124 after BP. 

Good find HC.  You got skillzzz, man.  You're like the "Howard Carter" of poster collectors, always digging up rarities....

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
Howard Carter?  You sir are a nerd of highest order for making a reference like that! ;D

That B0 should probably go on your Unicorns page!