Author Topic: April 2020  (Read 15347 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
April 2020
« on: April 02, 2020, 07:31:21 PM »
Sure, you can spend a lot of money buying a beautiful poster.  Though, does it really get any better than this: Karloff by Freulich.  Okie

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: April 2020
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 11:51:54 AM »
Nice!
Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 11:17:25 PM »
The movie Supernatural was released this month on April 21, 1933.  It's a pre-code horror film from Paramount that's definitely worth watching.  This original release photo of a disturbed/possessed Carole Lombard really jumped out at me in one of Bruce's recent auctions.  It's still in "pay and hold", though I wanted to go ahead and share as the movie's anniversary is in a few days. The photographer is not stamped on the back.  What are your thoughts on who might have taken this photo?  My best, Okie

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 04:38:18 AM »
That's a stunner for sure, Okie. A face to die for. Congrats!

The movie Supernatural was released this month on April 21, 1933.  It's a pre-code horror film from Paramount that's definitely worth watching.  This original release photo of a disturbed/possessed Carole Lombard really jumped out at me in one of Bruce's recent auctions.  It's still in "pay and hold", though I wanted to go ahead and share as the movie's anniversary is in a few days. The photographer is not stamped on the back.  What are your thoughts on who might have taken this photo?  My best, Okie

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 02:32:53 PM »
Great pic, Okie!  I never watched Supernatural but always wanted to.  I should check out if it's available on streaming somewhere.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 11:10:47 PM »
Thanks for letting me know you like this still of Lombard as well, Chris and Antoine!  I sure enjoy vintage photo surprises like this. Now, I wish I knew the photographer.  It seems to me early Paramount stills you would think would have a photographer credit on the back often do not. Okie
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:34:05 PM by okiehawker »

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 11:39:55 PM »
That Lombard still caught my eye too. Great pick-up!

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 11:58:27 AM »
Carole Lombard has always had a special place in my heart, so that still really resonates with me. What a great image.

Been a while since I posted. Haven't had much to post due to life circumstances. Recently picked these three up though.

Been looking for a nice example of this one at a reasonable price. Got this one from Heritage a week ago. The far tougher advance version and I got it at the price of the regular poster. Very happy with it.

These next two I picked up for likely resale. From the estate of Bud Abbott, his personal bound scripts for Buck Privates and Abbott And Costello Meet The Killer Boris Karloff.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »

Nice!  I was going to buy it but I can never remember to pre-bid at Heritage at 7:59PM PST on Sunday.  Forgot last night, forgot for the last 6 weeks, even though I check a few hours before and I always have a dozen items on my list.  I get busy with other things, and then it's 8:20.  It was a steal, for sure.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 09:46:11 PM »
Very cool scripts from a comedy master, Ratzkywatzky!  Did Bud Abbott write notes inside the scripts?  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 11:22:30 PM »
Dracula! 1931! Spanish Renfield, Pablo Alvarez Rubio, inscribed and signed original still!  I'm so happy to have this still that I'm having trouble controlling my exclamation points!!! In his inscription, Rubio mentions both the magazine to which this still was dedicated and the movie Dracula, too! I'm so excited this still made it through time. According to multiple sources, Spanish Dracula was released this month in New York City on April 24, 1931, 89 years ago this Friday. Looks like there was also a premiere in Havana, Cuba, on March 11, 1931. I really enjoyed Rubio's Renfield and was impressed with his skill in the role.  What did you guys think? Also, I included an image from the magazine Films Selectos (fortunately, the magazine was included with the still) from June 11, 1932, with an article on Rubio and an image of this signed still. I don't know what happened these last few months with me and finding stills I couldn't resist. Holy Moly!  Okie
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:49:39 PM by okiehawker »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 09:46:00 AM »
Congratulations Okie... Love that feeling of scoring big time  thumbsup.gif

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 07:45:03 PM »
Congratulations Okie... Love that feeling of scoring big time  thumbsup.gif

Thanks Steve and Starling!  I don't have a lot of stills, though I've heard their sweet voice of late. Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 09:06:39 PM »
Here are the two I got in Bruce's Tuesday major auction.  I really, really like the movie The Black Swan and thought this 3 sheet had a fantastic stone litho swashbuckling image! I admit I have never seen The Healer, though the beauty of the stone litho of Karen Morley sold me right away.  What did you all perhaps get? Okie

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 09:57:39 PM »

From Bruce’s recent auction for my “strong women characters in early cinema*” collection.

*Catchier name recommendations appreciated.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 10:00:10 PM »
These are 2 stunning pickups, Okie!  Congrats!

I didn't buy anything in that auction because everything was linenbacked.  Otherwise, I would have made a bid for Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman.  I would also have bid on The Big Clock, as I love that movie and recently read the book on which it was based. As a side note, this is something that I've lately been doing to occupy myself during confinement due to Covid19: I started reading books that were the inspiration for some of my favorite films, such as Night of the Hunter, In a Lonely Place, Double Indemnity, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Rebecca, Psycho, Village of the Damned, etc... It's been really fun!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 10:22:21 PM »
Great idea and great list to get started with! I can also recommend Red Harvest (1929) by Dashiell Hammett, which inspired a great many films. I went on a Hammett and Chandler binge a while back and do not regret it.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 10:30:34 PM »
Antoine: The Big Clock poster was pretty darn cool!  Yeah, reading the books for movies is a great idea, though I have to separate them in my mind as they can be so wildly different from each other.  Also, Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler (Jim Thompson, too) are such fun authors to read regardless of movie adaptation quality, eh?!  Linen doesn't bother me on older posters, large posters, and very rare posters.

Matt: I'm so happy you got The Avenging Angel! I really think the design is superb.  I was very tempted on it as well. 

Okie

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 11:46:17 PM »
Matt, I did read Red Harvest several years ago, back when I was on a Dashiell Hammett kick and read The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man and The Dain Curse, all of which are excellent and were adapted into great movies except for the last one which was made into a TV series.  I also went on a Chandler binge over a decade ago and read every single one of his Philip Marlowe novels, which I greatly enjoyed. 

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 08:49:55 PM »
Very nice Okie

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 06:59:53 PM »
Dracula! 1931! Spanish Renfield, Pablo Alvarez Rubio, inscribed and signed original still!  I'm so happy to have this still that I'm having trouble controlling my exclamation points!!! In his inscription, Rubio mentions both the magazine to which this still was dedicated and the movie Dracula, too! I'm so excited this still made it through time. According to multiple sources, Spanish Dracula was released this month in New York City on April 24, 1931, 89 years ago this Friday. Looks like there was also a premiere in Havana, Cuba, on March 11, 1931. I really enjoyed Rubio's Renfield and was impressed with his skill in the role.  What did you guys think? Also, I included an image from the magazine Films Selectos (fortunately, the magazine was included with the still) from June 11, 1932, with an article on Rubio and an image of this signed still. I don't know what happened these last few months with me and finding stills I couldn't resist. Holy Moly!  Okie

You know what's good, Okie!
Congrats on the still
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »

From Bruce’s recent auction for my “strong women characters in early cinema*” collection.

*Catchier name recommendations appreciated.

You are always up to some interesting shit Matt...  notworthy.gif
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 11:07:23 PM »
You are always up to some interesting shit Matt...  notworthy.gif

Not just pretty faces either!

Offline okiehawker