Author Topic: March 2020  (Read 17533 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: March 2020
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 09:16:14 PM »
Hi Tob,  Really nice image of Marlene Dietrich and then the cold, deadly Fargo! What did you think of the movie Neon Demon? I haven't seen it.   Okie

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 09:44:17 AM »
Thanks Matt and Okie. Okie, I liked The Neon Demon. It's perhaps style over substance, but I like it when films are a little bit abstract and surreal. If you like Refn's other films, I'd say give it a try.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »
Thanks Matt and Okie. Okie, I liked The Neon Demon. It's perhaps style over substance, but I like it when films are a little bit abstract and surreal. If you like Refn's other films, I'd say give it a try.

Great Fargo.  I'm jealous!

I've never seen Neon Demon.  RT says: "The Neon Demon is seductively stylish, but Nicolas Winding Refn's assured eye can't quite compensate for an underdeveloped plot and thinly written characters."

Since I have not seen it, I have not collected it.  But it seems to be a fav amongst modern paper collectors.  Why is that?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 12:14:58 PM »
Hi Crow, I was told a story about the Snow White one sheet stack when they were found.  Do you recall how many were in that find?  Okie

No idea what the total number was, can only vouch for the ones I saw personally - but was always told the number was mid-high double digit one.
It certainly seems that title is more plentiful in high grade than the other big 50s sci-fi items.

It was funny as the guy was basically using (the then new) Graven Images book as a catalog of what to have his brother look for and send.
Of course he would look at Uni horror and tell me things like he though there might be Mummy 1-sheets in there (I think those turned out to be Hammer).
He also had a huge stack of lobbies, some of which dated back to the early 40s, but most all had the english titles blacked out and spanish writing on them and he was doing at home cut-outs of the writing (or images) on various cards trying to piece them together and I was begging him to let a professional handle it.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »
I love the Fargo B1 Tob - and I've never been able to find that Neon Demon one sheet which stubbornly remains on my wants list. ND is a pretty sick (old fashioned meaning) movie - one gross scene in particular I can never unsee. I suppose it qualifies as a cult film by now - hence the posters being in demand.

Mark

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 07:50:46 PM »
Congrats on your Dark Angel pick-up Okie, I saw it in Bruce's auction and it caught my eye.  I almost made a bid for it even though it falls outside of my typical collecting interest (horror/sci-fi/film noir) because it's such a stunning poster.

Thanks, Antoine!  Yeah, I was leisurely looking through the auction and then "oh, my" there's a surprise golden age stone litho gem! Good times!  Okie

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 01:52:27 AM »
I never realized how big 3 sheets are... :P

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 07:34:52 PM »
I never realized how big 3 sheets are... :P

Yes, Starling, 3 sheets are big and yours is very nice!  Is that a Spotlight Displays frame?  I like these big posters, though there is an extra commitment for them, eh?!  Okie

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 08:09:44 PM »
Thanks! Yep, spot on with the spotlight! And it was quite difficult to get it to stay in frame, as I left a little space when I ordered the frame to be sure it would fit (and if I wanted to commit to another 3 sheet, maybe that one would fit too ha). It does draw the eye in my small-ish one bedroom apartment, that is for sure, but I dig it!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 01:28:12 AM »
No idea what the total number was, can only vouch for the ones I saw personally - but was always told the number was mid-high double digit one.
It certainly seems that title is more plentiful in high grade than the other big 50s sci-fi items.

It was funny as the guy was basically using (the then new) Graven Images book as a catalog of what to have his brother look for and send.
Of course he would look at Uni horror and tell me things like he though there might be Mummy 1-sheets in there (I think those turned out to be Hammer).
He also had a huge stack of lobbies, some of which dated back to the early 40s, but most all had the english titles blacked out and spanish writing on them and he was doing at home cut-outs of the writing (or images) on various cards trying to piece them together and I was begging him to let a professional handle it.

Hi Crow, Wow, using Graven Images is a very challenging goal!  An adventure in big money and big time, eh?!  Amateur cutting for restoration, oh no!  A little amateur dentistry may have cured that guy of amateur restoration!  Stay safe in ATL! Wait a minute, aren't those zombie TV shows filmed there?  Amateur zombie hunting?! Okie

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 12:31:10 PM »
That's a big beauty, Starling! Very nice.

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
Only had a couple his month, here's one of them.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 01:32:49 PM »
nice 3sh of Bette Starling. lucky you got high ceiling thumbup
funnily enough i watched The Letter for the first time only last week, what a fool i've been to let that pass me by, and i am now sorting out a thirties Bette film viewing marathon

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »
nice 3sh of Bette Starling. lucky you got high ceiling thumbup
funnily enough i watched The Letter for the first time only last week, what a fool i've been to let that pass me by, and i am now sorting out a thirties Bette film viewing marathon

Thank you! Davis and Wyler made 3 masterpieces together, I think you should check them out (Jezebel and The Little Foxes being the other two).

Being a big Davis fan, these are the highlights of her career if you have the time :)

The Letter
Jezebel
All About Eve
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane
Now Voyager
The Little Foxes
Marked Woman
Of Human Bondage
Dark Victory
The Petrified Forest

Luckily, The Letter 3 sheet is in good company!

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 04:08:23 PM »
^Nice! - my Jezebel poster is a lot smaller than yours, i have a English trade ad ;D
i've seen all her Wylers (i think). The Little Foxes is one of my all time faves - incredible acting by her
thanks for list, i haven't seen Marked Woman, Of Human Bondage and Dark Victory and will watch them
one of my favourites, because i like thirties comedy, is It's Love I'm After. And I'll watch her 2 with Cagney. And The Little Foxes ;D

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »
Lovely 3-sheet for The Letter, a great movie.  Speaking of 3-sheet, today I received this House of Horrors from HA's recent Signature sale.  Also in the mail today was this Italian 2F for Matango (AKA Attack of the Mushroom People), a somewhat rare format for this title.     

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 10:49:00 PM »
Lovely 3-sheet for The Letter, a great movie.  Speaking of 3-sheet, today I received this House of Horrors from HA's recent Signature sale.  Also in the mail today was this Italian 2F for Matango (AKA Attack of the Mushroom People), a somewhat rare format for this title.   

Nice choice on the great Rondo in House of Horrors, Antoine!  I saw that one, too.  Okie

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2020, 08:55:36 PM »
Thanks Okie!  I already have the OS for that title, but I'd never seen a 3-sheet and I really loved the art when I came across in HA Signature auction, so I decided to go for it even though it's on linen.  Glad I did, it looks really awesome in person!

Offline Seckin

• Beginner
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »
Thank you! Davis and Wyler made 3 masterpieces together, I think you should check them out (Jezebel and The Little Foxes being the other two).

Being a big Davis fan, these are the highlights of her career if you have the time :)

The Letter
Jezebel
All About Eve
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane
Now Voyager
The Little Foxes
Marked Woman
Of Human Bondage
Dark Victory
The Petrified Forest

Luckily, The Letter 3 sheet is in good company!

Wow! Just wow! Two amazing posters, Starling. You are a lucky collector. Thanks for sharing :)

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 12:09:03 PM »
What a compliment, coming from someone with the caliber of collection you have! Thank you, sir!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2020, 12:27:46 PM »
And now to really lower the tone and make people question my membership here - IMAX goodness for the postponed No Time to Die.

As before folks, dedication to the task has exposed some questionable thinking.  But of that, we are all aware.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:29:31 PM by Simes »

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2020, 10:15:44 AM »
Not really a poster as such, metal embossed service mario from the early 90's only givien out to Nintendo service centers, Almost mint condition and look's even nicer mounted in a nice red shiney custom frame  ;D

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2020, 01:12:53 PM »
Love old video game pieces. Have been trying to get a few of the Star Wars ones for a looong time. Those and the comic book three sheet for Hellboy.

This one is not a movie piece either but I thought was a fun piece especially being a fan of Flagg's artwork in general. It is a large 46x60 poster/decal that I believe is used for buses, not sure what to call it. A broadside? Sure someone here will set me straight on it.

Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2020, 08:37:23 AM »
And now to really lower the tone and make people question my membership here - IMAX goodness for the postponed No Time to Die.

As before folks, dedication to the task has exposed some questionable thinking.  But of that, we are all aware.

Good work getting those. I guess they are probably hard to get hold of now and will be good investment for future as maybe they will do a new poster for the postponed release. Someone else from my cinema got their hands on during the closed down so I won't be adding to my collection. I did get two imax posters for that Le Mans 66 film which are quite good. Will post images of them later.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2020, 08:45:27 AM »
The International, Coming Soon, version seems quite available from Dale, and sellers in Singapore and Thailand.

The US versions seem to have dried up as quickly as they arrived.  Maybe more will surface once lock down is lifted.