Author Topic: Parasite - La Boca Quad  (Read 10035 times)

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
Parasite - La Boca Quad
« on: February 29, 2020, 05:20:52 AM »
For sale is a super rare La Boca designed quad for Parasite.
Only offered to Curzon & a few independent cinemas in the UK .
This will be going up on ebay on Sunday but i thought id offer it up here first.
It is unused,straight out of the tube & mint except for a v.v.small nick.
Any questions or if more photos are required just ask.
Buy it now price is £500 ONO. Discount if Forum member.

IMG-20200227-WA0001 by mike Reeve, on Flickr

IMG-20200227-WA0002 by mike Reeve, on Flickr

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
Re: Parasite - La Boca Quad
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 07:22:38 AM »
Email - michaelreeve10@hotmail.com

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 08:48:01 AM »
Sold

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »
Ugh, I keep missing these.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 01:29:11 PM »
There are currently 2 La Boca Parasite quads on eBay.uk  thumbsup.gif

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 03:52:46 AM »
Price is mad for these.

First one sold on Ebay for £123

Next one sold for £780 I think.

£500 for this one a good deal in the scheme of things.

vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 08:07:02 AM »
My gut feeling is the price will fall to £200 over the coming weeks but will then settle. Infuriatingly, I bid £138 in the last few seconds of the first auction - my phone froze - my bid was not recorded and I have no idea if I would have won it. There are more of these around I think than a print run of 100 would suggest - there were around 10 on display at Curzon Mayfair and one person I met at an event - with obvious "connections" - had six of them in a roll.

Congratulations to Mike for selling his at the right time.

Mark

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 01:43:51 PM »
I do agree with Mark here for sure.

Also, whenever they release the online sale of the screenprint edition (which I have heard will be a high number), that will also dilute the market value a bit as well.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 03:49:12 PM »
I bought one of those, just because I don't like to not be included, but I still don't understand what's so special about it and the appeal.  Who is La Boca?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 07:57:17 PM »
I bought one of those, just because I don't like to not be included, but I still don't understand what's so special about it and the appeal.  Who is La Boca?

T

Ha ha, you are joking. I think you probably have some of La Boca posters in your collection. But if you don't really know what is special about it you may as well let it eatbrie.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 08:01:00 PM »
Ha ha, you are joking. I think you probably have some of La Boca posters in your collection. But if you don't really know what is special about it you may as well let it eatbrie.

No, not kidding.  I don't know what who he is.  I just bought the Parasite poster because people seemed to think it is special, but I can't figure out why.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
No, not kidding.  I don't know what who he is.  I just bought the Parasite poster because people seemed to think it is special, but I can't figure out why.

T

There is a thread on his Black Swan posters on here - which is probably what he is most famous for in Movie Poster context.
https://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?topic=9909.0

He did both quad size (set of three) and 1 sheets (set of 4) in the UK, there also a collectors's set made on a card base which go for a couple of grand for the set.

http://site.laboca.co.uk/Black-Swan

He also did those posters for Deer Hunter. http://site.laboca.co.uk/The-Deer-Hunter

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 12:01:54 PM »
Less heralded, but La Boca also designed this quad for the UK theatrical release of Red Army, a documentary about the Soviet ice hockey team: http://site.laboca.co.uk/Red-Army

I’ve not seen the movie but, personally, I think this is one of the best designed quads of recent vintage.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 01:58:08 PM »
I think this is one of the best designed quads of recent vintage.

Agreed - great design.

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 04:21:16 PM »
Yeah, not my thing.  Any of them really.  As a collector, I understand the must-own value, but I'm not a fan.  I own one Black Swan quad and never tried to get the others because I don't like them.  Thanks for the info.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 07:53:02 PM »
Less heralded, but La Boca also designed this quad for the UK theatrical release of Red Army, a documentary about the Soviet ice hockey team: http://site.laboca.co.uk/Red-Army

I’ve not seen the movie but, personally, I think this is one of the best designed quads of recent vintage.

That is really cool - not seen that one ever. Was it actually ever distributed for the film in the UK?

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 07:55:15 PM »
Yeah, not my thing.  Any of them really.  As a collector, I understand the must-own value, but I'm not a fan.  I own one Black Swan quad and never tried to get the others because I don't like them.  Thanks for the info.

T

Which one have you got as I am one missing for my collection - maybe its the one and if you not a fan could you sell it to me? (if it's the one I want)/

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 08:43:48 PM »
I don’t know which one you need but I NEVER sell anyway, so it really doesn’t matter.

Also, I have a website where you can see everything I own.

T
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:45:05 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 09:13:09 PM »
Perhaps, T and Poster Art, you both should be talking about bartering. Money is irrelevant when you can't use it to buy certain things. How many dozen eggs would Poster Art offer that might shake the poster loose, T?  Bartered today as a matter of fact, Okie

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 09:35:27 PM »
I don’t know which one you need but I NEVER sell anyway, so it really doesn’t matter.

Also, I have a website where you can see everything I own.

T

I know you don't normally sell as I heard you say that many times on here but in case you fancy helping a fellow collector out I thought I would ask anyway - no harm. Perhaps if you don't sell maybe you could give it me for a present!! he he. or maybe a trade? You do have the one of the set that I am missing - the teaser white and black one.

I just checked your site Eatbrie (which I hate doing as I am just so full of envy that you have just the most amazing collection that I have ever set eyes on)  - seriously though your site is amazing. You must have spent a fortune over the years and how you can buy so many posters ! Simply amazing (I'm sure you wouldn't miss one little poster from an artists whose work you don't even like:.  notworthy.gif thumbsup.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 08:41:59 PM »
I think you found it, right?  I didn't think it would be hard.  Those are not that rare.

Yeah, sorry, but not only do I never sell, but the idea of finding a poster, getting a tube, packing it in and going to the post office is horrifying to me.  I'm too lazy for that.

These posters will eventually be sold by my kids (although I suspect my son may want to keep the Star Wars collection, which is fine as long as he doesn't become a fanboy.)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 10:25:20 AM »
That is really cool - not seen that one ever. Was it actually ever distributed for the film in the UK?

Yes! I am fairly sure I remember seeing it on display at the Curzon Soho in London at the time of its release, and I have one in my collection, though it took me years to track down.

I don't imagine all that many were printed, given a documentary about Soviet ice hockey was probably not a big money-spinner, particularly in the UK where ice hockey is a minority sport.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 04:53:08 PM »
thanks for heads up on Soviet documentary, looks worth a look thumbup

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 07:30:10 PM »
thanks for heads up on Soviet documentary, looks worth a look thumbup

No problem!

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2020, 08:24:01 AM »
I think you found it, right?  I didn't think it would be hard.  Those are not that rare.

Yeah, sorry, but not only do I never sell, but the idea of finding a poster, getting a tube, packing it in and going to the post office is horrifying to me.  I'm too lazy for that.

These posters will eventually be sold by my kids (although I suspect my son may want to keep the Star Wars collection, which is fine as long as he doesn't become a fanboy.)

T

Yes got one now but I did pay over the odds for it IPO - I hope the condition is good when I get it.