Author Topic: JAWS Thai poster?  (Read 5284 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
JAWS Thai poster?
« on: February 19, 2020, 12:37:00 PM »
I have heard in the past from a pretty good and mostly trusted source that this is one of those Thai posters that has had fakes out in the market.

Have any of you heard anything similar about this poster and have any idea how to spot one?

From a little research I've done the only thing I've noticed online is that some posters seem to have the red parts of the poster (the Thai spelling of the JAWS title and blood etc.) looking really red while others seem to be a lighter red, this of course could just be the way each picture was taken in different light etc. or maybe the lighter red look is just more of a faded poster, I really don't know, but, it's the only thing I've noticed while trying to spot a genuine one.

Any ideas?

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Re: JAWS Thai poster?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 03:13:58 AM »
Here's a couple of pics to help you all see what I'm on about, the first poster belongs to T (eatbrie) big thank you! to T for letting me use it as a guide thumbsup.gif

Now obviously I'm 100% assuming T's Thai JAWS is the real deal genuine article, so what do you all think of how the second pic compares, "IMO" it does not look as if it's purely just how each picture was taken, it really looks like each poster has totally different colours, I've already mentioned the RED in the poster, but also the shade of BLUE (water) looks different as well, only other obvious difference is T's poster is folded while the other one is not, whether that means anything with this particular poster I don't know.

See what you all think, any thoughts very welcome.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 10:20:44 AM »
Be interested to see what the Thai poster experts comments are on this.

I'd love to pick up one of these also.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with NOES artist Graham Humphries.

I asked him about the NOES poster and how some of the text on the poster was a slightly different colour from poster to poster. A few people were saying it wasn't a first printing etc but Graham told me it was the ink used.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:39:09 AM »
Be interested to see what the Thai poster experts comments are on this.

I'd love to pick up one of these also.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with NOES artist Graham Humphries.

I asked him about the NOES poster and how some of the text on the poster was a slightly different colour from poster to poster. A few people were saying it wasn't a first printing etc but Graham told me it was the ink used.

Yeah, I'd love to hear from some genuine Thai poster experts/collector's.

I'm no expert on photography, so maybe it's "possible" that it's just how the photos of each poster has been taken (different light etc.), but, my gut-feeling having looked around to find any images online of this Thai JAWS poster is that the difference in these two posters is genuine and it is a real difference in the colours, as I mentioned before I have heard this is a Thai poster known to have been faked, no real surprise for such a well known film, so it certainly makes you wonder when you look at these two posters.

I don't want to upset T, so I don't want to say to much, but, my feeling is T's poster seems to have the stronger colours and the RED colours especially look more correct, however having studied both side by side for quite a bit of time I think although the second poster has lighter colours and a more washed out look I feel the overall detail is a little stronger, that may just be me though.

If your reading this thread T, just out of interest how long have you had your Thai JAWS poster?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 01:13:06 PM »
I have absolutely zero doubt my Jaws is original.  I bought it from a long time poster collector while in Thailand in 2006.  It is 100% the real deal.  Don’t know what the other one is.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »
I have absolutely zero doubt my Jaws is original.  I bought it from a long time poster collector while in Thailand in 2006.  It is 100% the real deal.  Don’t know what the other one is.

T

I knew you'd be 100% certain your JAWS Thai was the real deal T, to be collecting as long as you have you must know exactly what to look out for 99% of the time whenever you pick up a new poster.

Thanks! for confirming though because that pretty much proves this other one is iffy like I feared, my gut told me something was off with the 2nd one as the colours look so different to your version, thanks for also confirming how long you've had your one, much appreciated T thumbsup.gif

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
What is the source of the second photo?

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 04:36:13 PM »
What is the source of the second photo?

I simply can't go into to much detail about the 2nd poster (at least, not right now until I myself am certain of a few things about the source) however I always want to help people on here as much as the next person, all I can really say is be careful with all posters but especially Thai posters, I've only been collecting posters for a few years and I own a reasonable collection of Thai posters, but, from personal experience they are often the worst when it comes to fakes or as others may prefer to call them commercial reprints.

I love Thai posters because of the unique amazing artwork so many of them have, but, I've found collecting them to be a bit of a minefield, you only have to look on the likes of ebay to see how many get sold on there every day, it's pretty clear "IMO" that many out there are not "Original" 1st release posters.

All I would say is with T confirming what I expected in that his Thai JAWS is the real deal genuine article that's good enough for me in that I trust his obvious knowledge on the subject, therefore I'm glad I'm learning myself what to look out for.

I was offered the 2nd JAWS poster but something felt off about it.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 05:00:42 PM »
Not saying it's the case here, but many times when a movie is popular and plays for much longer than originally anticipated, more print runs of posters are needed to fulfill demand from the theaters and it's quite common for color variations to occur (sometimes even within the same run).
One of the earliest I know of is the lobby set for Creature From the Black Lagoon where there are quite clearly a light run and a dark run (see attached photos from emovie for detail).

Of course, if there are known fakes of a title, then you would need to be on higher alert, but color alone isn't an indication that something is wrong.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 03:03:45 AM »
Not saying it's the case here, but many times when a movie is popular and plays for much longer than originally anticipated, more print runs of posters are needed to fulfill demand from the theaters and it's quite common for color variations to occur (sometimes even within the same run).
One of the earliest I know of is the lobby set for Creature From the Black Lagoon where there are quite clearly a light run and a dark run (see attached photos from emovie for detail).

Of course, if there are known fakes of a title, then you would need to be on higher alert, but color alone isn't an indication that something is wrong.

Great! post and very interesting point, thank you for your input on this subject crowzilla :)

With this particular Thai JAWS poster though I'm going to stick to my own gut-feeling that something is iffy with this one, I could be totally wrong of course, maybe it is a case with this JAWS Thai poster like the one you've mentioned clearly it's up to the individual collector/buyer to make up their own mind in this kind of situation.

Obviously the fact I'd already heard whispers about this particular poster was always something that was going to influence my decision when deciding if I felt it was genuine or not.

At the end of the day the way I'm looking at it is I've either had a lucky escape or I've got it wrong and I'm going to miss out on a really good poster that no doubt someone else will soon find and snap up because of my suspicions about it, when it comes to poster collecting this is the sort of decision I'm sure many of us here on these forums have to try and weigh up every time we buy a poster whenever we're not 100% sure about it.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 08:34:47 AM »
My thai Jackie Chan WoM is def the real thing , its on cheap non gloss paper/rolled and kinda tanned thus i will never display it

Same with Snake in monkeys shadow , same paper stock/rolled albeit less tanned

Its like with autographs : unless youre confident its legit , walk away
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:39:45 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »