Author Topic: New forum administrators  (Read 17408 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: New forum administrators
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
Good idea and they are able to see all the posts.  Guests have never been blocked.  Our view has been that it’s free info accessible to all.  If they want to post though, they’ve got to register.

Actually, locking the place down wound boost registration, but that’s a numbers game that we don’t want to play.  Quality over quantity.  10 years and Thierry and I continue in our commitment to keep this place non-monetized and ad-free.  We don’t make a dime on APF.  Rather, we are paid in good conversation, great relationships, and cool posters from time to time :)

H

Congrats to the new admins.

Request: can we please unlock the forum so guests can read all threads, not just members? Would entice more member growth and would help the hobby overall I feel. Thanks in advance.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 11:12:30 AM »
I think that a large part of the appeal of this forum, at least for me, is the generous spirit that animates it, as described by Holiday's wonderful post.

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 11:20:38 AM »
I for one would be slightly lost (in terms of posters) without this forum. I’ve met some great people and had some good exchanges.

There are also a number of posters that would have been impossible for me to get if it wasn’t for the forum and the generous people on it.

Long may it continue!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 04:37:37 PM »
Good idea and they are able to see all the posts. 
H

If you log out and go to the home page, you will see that Common Poster Subjects topics/folders are reduced to four categories and Movie Posters is reduced to only three. The rest of the forum is intact, but guests really don't get the meat and potatoes of the site.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 08:17:24 PM »
I like the premium access. Especially upcoming and mid-auction threads... why let lurker s in on all the secrets? 

I'm not sure non-members are even aware they dont have full access though...so if we're looking to boost membership perhaps we can make that part clear (e.g sign up and you get access to even more pointless banter from Vick...)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2020, 06:37:59 PM »
I like the premium access. Especially upcoming and mid-auction threads... why let lurker s in on all the secrets? 

I'm not sure non-members are even aware they dont have full access though...so if we're looking to boost membership perhaps we can make that part clear (e.g sign up and you get access to even more pointless banter from Vick...)

What secrets? I think from the outside looking in, minus the main discussion threads, it seems so barren...would really help the hobby with folks being more educated etc, whether they 'join' or not.

I was mistaken,

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 12:40:37 PM »
Hi Chris.  Jeff is no longer an admin.  I haven't heard from him since December.  I hope he is ok.  I know some folks have some unfinished business with him, and I hope that when he sorts what it seems he may be going through, that he will clean things up.  I had this happen to me years ago when my brother died, and that was the watershed moment for me that led me away from APF - it blew up my world to be sure. 

Best wishes (or sympathies) to Jeff for whatever he's going through.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2020, 11:50:15 AM »
Best wishes (or sympathies) to Jeff for whatever he's going through.

Very well said Dr Bill, I agree with every word here.

Jeff was the one who helped me get signed up to these forums in the first place, I've only just come back to these forums after a year or more away myself, mainly due to having a break from buying any posters, but I noticed right away that Jeff was not around as he was always on the forums when I was last around.

I hope everything works out for him and he returns to the forums sometime in the future.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2020, 10:29:20 PM »
I second everything that John said about Jeff, who also was the person who got me to sign up here and who made me feel welcome to this place.  I was wondering what he was up to, as I also noticed that he seemed to have disappeared, and I'm very sorry to hear about his current woes.  I hope he's ok and wish him the best.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 01:46:47 PM »
If you log out and go to the home page, you will see that Common Poster Subjects topics/folders are reduced to four categories and Movie Posters is reduced to only three. The rest of the forum is intact, but guests really don't get the meat and potatoes of the site.

I was mistaken,

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2020, 09:53:17 PM »
Now that I look at it more closely, non-members do have access to the threads I mentioned. 

So ya, I'm game. Blow the doors open, see what happens?

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 10:38:22 PM »
I really like that certain parts are for members only, especially in movie posters "Show us your collection!".  Okie
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:39:35 PM by okiehawker »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 10:57:44 PM »
I think that was fine when the forum was thriving, but with you guys posting less and less, we need new collectors, and new collectors will only join if they can see what its all about.  All of it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 11:50:44 PM »
I think that was fine when the forum was thriving, but with you guys posting less and less, we need new collectors, and new collectors will only join if they can see what its all about.  All of it.

T

I've enjoyed the last two years, T, I really have!  Thank you and Holiday (and, Jeff!) for this fun!!! I do think I'll personally be more reluctant to post certain things when APF is wide open.  Though, new active members would be great and their posting will be awesome for APF.  Is it possible for me to delete just a few images I posted that show inside my house prior to "wide open"?  I'm probably over cautious and too old school for social media, though do enjoy APF as my one and only social media presence.  My best, Okie

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2020, 09:48:02 AM »
I've enjoyed the last two years, T, I really have!  Thank you and Holiday (and, Jeff!) for this fun!!! I do think I'll personally be more reluctant to post certain things when APF is wide open.  Though, new active members would be great and their posting will be awesome for APF.  Is it possible for me to delete just a few images I posted that show inside my house prior to "wide open"?  I'm probably over cautious and too old school for social media, though do enjoy APF as my one and only social media presence.  My best, Okie

Hi Okie,

Sorry you feel a bit exposed if the settings are changed, I hope it doesn't stop you sharing nice posters. Do you want to post back here when you've removed any photos you're uncomfortable with sharing? We'll then adjust the settings when you're done. Cheers.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2020, 10:08:24 AM »

T

This.

It's good for everyone, the forum, and especially the hobby. Full transparency is essential.

I was mistaken,

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2020, 12:56:49 AM »
Hi Okie,

Sorry you feel a bit exposed if the settings are changed, I hope it doesn't stop you sharing nice posters. Do you want to post back here when you've removed any photos you're uncomfortable with sharing? We'll then adjust the settings when you're done. Cheers.
Hi Tob, Thanks and please go ahead.  The photos are fine.  Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2020, 04:36:28 AM »
This.

It's good for everyone, the forum, and especially the hobby. Full transparency is essential.

I agree fellas.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2020, 05:53:36 PM »
Case in point.  I've been sick with stomach flu for the past 2 days and have spent way too much time on social medias.  I looked at a bunch of poster collectors sites on Facebook, but they're all blocked.  If they're blocked and I can't see their content, I don't join.  Period.

I'm sure it's the same with this forum.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2020, 04:26:23 AM »
Each board should now be viewable to guests.

The exceptions are:

Let It All Out
Life, Politics and the World

...which are still only viewable to members.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2020, 08:31:36 AM »
THANK YOU!!!!!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2020, 10:04:46 AM »
Each board should now be viewable to guests.

The exceptions are:

Let It All Out
Life, Politics and the World

...which are still only viewable to members.

That's actually perfect...good call, didn't think of that. Kudos.  cheers

I was mistaken,

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2021, 08:55:43 AM »
Social media - I am a web guy, fell in love with Internet and professional webmasters.  I really enjoyed the RSS/blog period, then Social media came and aggregated everything.  They close RSS and readers like Google Readers to force people to go to their sites.  Before, readers could go directly to the authors in an self-hosted website; now everything is posted on social media... content is no longer ours.  Social media killed the web.   I am in social media but just to develop code to automate things (API, code that get content, automatic repost). I have several Fb pages which run alone, it goes pick images there and there and repost :)  There is not better than old-school forum in my opinion

Private / Public post - I shall share what Okie said, not sure if putting everything in public is fine.  If you do, you should indeed allow user to request for specific post to be removed...  Or create a new user and ask admin to delete all posts under the old usernames.

Get more people -
a) Rework the landing page to have more attractive public forums which catchy names
b) Have a giveaway section and try to organise a monthly giveaway or things like blind Santa-chain (names go in a pot, then you send a present to the name yo are given, sorry no idea how it is called)
c) Spread the love on social media; meaning automating things is the way to go... you just need to pinpoint the perfect repository or website (this forum, an Instagram, a Google Drive, Blogpost, etc.); register APF in Twitter, IG, etc.  and finally work on automation so that anything posted there is automatically reshared on Twitter, IG, FB, etc.
d) Ask members to contribute more - just like in some threads here ("poster in movies") for a more participative website; may have more participative threads (I recall I did the "shot between the two legs" threads)... a nice would be "scissors in movie posters" :)

Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.