Author Topic: Parasite by Bong Joon-ho - new quad  (Read 10237 times)

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
Parasite by Bong Joon-ho - new quad
« on: January 09, 2020, 01:34:33 PM »
The one-sheet for Parasite has featured in a few 'best poster of 2019' lists. In the past few days, the quad for the forthcoming UK release has been revealed and, in my view, at least, it's very cool:

https://lwlies.com/articles/parasite-alternate-artwork-la-boca-bong-joon-ho/

It's designed by British design house La Boca, best known to APFers for their Black Swan designs a decade ago. La Boca have said they may make prints available on this, but no word on that as yet.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Parasite by Bong Joon-ho - new quad
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 04:34:58 AM »

Agree, I think it's a really nice bit of design that fits the film very well. I hope they're 'brave' enough to print it as the quad (and don't plaster it with 5* reviews/quotes).

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »
It would appear, unfortunately, that, at the moment at least, there are no plans to send this poster to cinemas. Bloody well ruined my weekend! Was looking forward to putting one up on the wall!

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 01:54:09 PM »
Quick update - Curzon emailed my contacts cinema & offered 1 per cinema of the La Boca quad with proviso that it's displayed with regular version. Unsure how they will check but there's already 1 on ebay so someone didn't listen!

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »
Thanks for the update, appreciated.

Incidentally my local arthouse cinema (in north London) has the La Boca Parasite quad on display. Not sure if they have the 'regular' quad, too, I just saw the La Boca one as I was strolling past at the weekend.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 06:23:43 PM »
I so want this but seems like it is going to be difficult to get one. Only one person I know has been lucky enough and he's on here.  notworthy.gif

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 08:15:17 AM »
If anyone can manage to snag one for me, I would really appreciate it...shoot me a PM.  cool1
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 07:36:33 AM »
I bid on the one on Ebay which went for £123.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 05:45:12 PM »
I've had to settle for the regular one for now. Bong Joon Ho was kind enough to sign it for me this evening.

Mark

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 06:09:07 AM »
Nice one, Mark. Very cool to have it signed by Bong Joon Ho.

I grabbed a reg too (despite the annoying quotes). As the La Boca quads are so thin on the ground, I'm hope they release it as a print (like they did with the Deer Hunter re-release) 

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 12:03:48 PM »
It looks like a print version is coming - perhaps in a slightly different black colourway? Although that could be a variant I suppose? They printed their Deer Hunter re-release as a reg and variant (I think the variant was 40 x 30" too).

Also, I like Posteritati's little customization to the design (you have to swipe on Instagram to see the close up)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Y-UF6F0is/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:05:43 PM by Tob »

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 03:07:08 AM »
Thats good news Tob. Thanks for the information.
the 2nd quad to appear on ebay is currently at a gobsmacking £350. a 3rd one appeared & subsequently sold within an hour or 2 for god knows what price!
it also seems that Curzon offered 2 different Parasite posters to selected cinemas. The quad which has appeared on ebay & a 1Sheet designed by andrew bannister.
IMG_2116 by mike Reeve, on Flickr
i think it looks great & ive not seen one anywhere yet but ive got my contacts to ask if any flying are around Curzons office thumbsup.gif. this could end up being the rarer of the 2 as most went for the quad & there are no signs of it being sold as a print.

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 10:38:35 AM »
That one-sheet is really nice, too. Thanks for posting it. I haven't seen that on display at any cinemas yet (though I will be visiting a Curzon this evening so will keep an eye out).

I have seen the La Boca quad in cinemas - when I asked my local arthouse theatre if their one was going spare, I was politely informed that one of the staff had called dibs on it. Can hardly blame them - the one on Ebay you mentioned that had been at £350 has just sold for more than £700!!!

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 08:17:08 PM »
Incredible price. Gonna be impossible to get that. My local art cinema has one  in the frame outside the cinema. Begging to be stolen if only the cine didn’t have cctv outside!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 06:23:24 AM »
Not that I am obsessed with Parasite but months after its original UK release - and its Oscar win - there is still new official poster art being created for the film. British distributor/arthouse cinema chain Curzon is releasing the black & white version of the movie and has created a new poster specifically, a reverse of the main poster image. Whether these will get printed or only exist online, given the widespread closure of cinemas, who knows, but thought this was interesting enough to share at least.

http://www.impawards.com/intl/south_korea/2019/parasite_ver7.html

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:25:08 AM by Mardukas »

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »
Not that I am obsessed with Parasite but months after its original UK release - and its Oscar win - there is still new official poster art being created for the film. British distributor/arthouse cinema chain Curzon is releasing the black & white version of the movie and has created a new poster specifically, a reverse of the main poster image. Whether these will get printed or only exist online, given the widespread closure of cinemas, who knows, but thought this was interesting enough to share at least.

Interesting. don't know if I would rush out t buy that though. I still looking for that La Boca poster that is outside my price limit. I won't settle for anything less at this moment in time. I was hoping that they did a screen print of it but doesn't look like it.

so the poster you posted says "black and white version" - does this mean they are releasing a B&W version of the film?

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 12:25:13 PM »
Yes - exactly. I had no idea a B&W version existed until I saw the news about the UK poster, but having done a little Googling, it seems like it has been around for a little while.

This article from April, by way of example, is one of many on the subject:
https://screenrant.com/parasite-movie-black-white-version-different/

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 12:26:41 PM »
Great. Hope can get to see it when the cinemas reopen.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 06:48:09 AM »
Whether these will get printed or only exist online, given the widespread closure of cinemas, who knows.....

These have been printed - I've managed to obtain an unused one. It's a really high quality printing. I wish I could get hold of the UK "staircase style" one sheet though. 

Mark

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 11:53:13 AM »
I really like that the B&W quad is the opposite view to the main quad, quite a clever bit of design. I wonder if they'll do the same for the one sheet?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2020, 05:16:47 PM »
Still looking for the quad...anyone have any for sale/available?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 06:27:08 PM »

I have one these quads but mine seems different to the others I've seen for sale. Mine is single sided on thicker paper. Anyone know more about the differences?

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 05:41:15 AM »
I have one these quads but mine seems different to the others I've seen for sale. Mine is single sided on thicker paper. Anyone know more about the differences?

I imagine that one is fake as no real black version.  Probably just better to let me have that one, I collect bootlegs!

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 11:42:20 AM »
Mine has the white borders like the others apologies for referencing the wrong photo but it's single sided on thicker paper, and run your hand over the printed parts you can feel it

. I'll try and post a photo later

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 12:34:56 PM »
The Oscar on the LaBoca poster is a nice touch.  I remember checking it out when I first got it to see what all the fuss was about and noticing it.  I think I got it after the Academy Awards and remembered thinking, well that's a little presumptuous, but cool.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)