Author Topic: STAR WARS Style C  (Read 3868 times)

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
STAR WARS Style C
« on: December 15, 2019, 04:18:54 PM »
Just saw one of these listed on ebay uk for £399.99 or best offer stated as from 1977 and not a bootleg from the 80's, When something looks too good to be true it usually is...
The picture on the listing is so low res you can't zoom in and have a good look, So I sent him a message  :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-27-X-41-1-sheet-ROLLED-1977-STAR-WARS-Style-C/372852984633

"Hi,

I'm interested in making an offer on this but would need to see closer/clearer pics to see if it really is authentic can you supply any ?

Would like a close up of Leia’s head and shoulders/han solo's and R2D2's middle foot.

Here's a site that you can really tell if the posters are legit>

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/MPC_Authentication_Star_Wars_Style_C.html
Thanks.
"

To which he sent this reply>

"hello, the information on that website is nonsense that has been copied and pasted over the internet so many times its become true to many who are not poster collectors. The publication figures mentioned are pure nonsense also. The poster was obtained from one of the largest poster sellers in America who purchased them directly from Lucas employees, if you believe the nonsense you linked to though i would suggest buying from someone with the exact poster you are looking for from that 1 plate (5 were used). It will cost you upwards of £1500, sadly the value of posters from other plates has plummeted due to the rubbish that originated from 1 poster seller who was just set destroying other peoples business, he was successfully sued but the nonsense is already out there now."

To which I replied>
"so I take it yours has the hair on Leia’s shoulder and R2 D2's middle leg then.

No worries GLWS.
"

And he sent>

"hello, yes of course or it would be £1500, its as original as the one you think you want but the value has been crushed by people believing this nonsense."

I guess my question is if it's made from the same plates as the original is it really a boot leg or a second/third...e.c.t printing ?
I'm pretty sure this has probably been asked and answered in the past a few times  ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: STAR WARS Style C
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 07:20:49 PM »
That's a question for our Star Wars expert, Mike Undead.

All I can say is that the charlatans of the world always come up with amazing stories to cheat their clientele, and this one is certainly no exception.  Someone, somewhere, will eventually buy his brand of bullshit.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 07:07:32 AM »
Anything a printer was actually hired for would be a second, third, etc print regardless of what it was. Anything that was printed without the owners request/contract off hours, without their knowledge, at another place with plates they found and bought at a garage sale or even a legitimate printer that did not have permission to print a run etc. is a bootleg.

Webster's definition as it applies here: to produce, reproduce, or distribute illicitly or without authorization.

Also add an fyi, the bootlegs can readily be found for $50 or so in fleecebay. Star Wars c bootleg
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:06:33 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
Thanks guys, Yes that the other thing I was going to say for a hairy bootleg version it's well over priced, That's prob the sellers delusion saying it's from the 70's and not the 80's bootleg. I love the way he denounces any site that doen't agree with his argument that his posters legit, as if the quality control after the first run would just go out the window with color matching/hairs/scratches e.c.t..... faint2.gif

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »
His responses actually sound verbatim from Rokmod to me. If he did not sell mostly other items I would bet it was one of his shill ids.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline porkinsred6

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 05:15:12 PM »
bumping up and old thread but another tell for this listing is that this is a rolled international Style C.  A legit rolled international version is super rare almost everyone I've seen has been folded.  While there are some probably executive copies that are rolled some random seller having a rolled one should be viewed with caution even if you can't tell if it's a bootleg or not from the low res photo.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 03:27:45 AM »
It is roughly 50/50 for rolled vs. folded on the int style C's.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 06:15:40 AM »
Good info guys.