Author Topic: Poster collection for sale--need help, not a poster person  (Read 6897 times)

Offline Martin M

• Beginner
Poster collection for sale--need help, not a poster person
« on: November 18, 2019, 07:29:45 AM »
Hi, new here,  My brother ran a bar in DC named "FLICKS"   The walls were covered with old movie posters, photos, etc.  Bar closed years ago.  All were dry mounted and framed (he paid 15,000 for frames and mounting).  A few worth over 20-40,000 (so I'm told), frames have holes in them from front mounting on bar wall.    Would like to sell them as a lot.  Guessing value around 150,000   Would make a ready made home theater decor.  I will have Facebook pics soon. 
Any interest here? or ideas for moving them.  This is my first crack at doing anything with them.....might be a gold mine for someone....in western VA

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Poster collection for sale--need help, not a poster person
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 11:08:38 AM »
Hi Martin,
Welcome to the boards. Do you have any photos you can share? (let us know when the facebook pics are up.)
While most collectors will say that dry mounting posters to boards is bad (they prefer linen-mounting), there will always be exceptions for rare/valuable pieces.
Most likely, any interested parties will not care about the framing since it's such an individual choice (unless of course they are planning on displaying them in a similar venue s your brother did), and any offers will be based purely on the poster value.
We can definitely give you better suggestions once we know a little more info about the collection - age of most, genre, quantity, and of course more information about individual pieces of extraordinary value.
Looking forward to hearing more.

Sean
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 01:30:42 PM »
Yep.  Just like he said.  Dry mounting posters is a gigantic no no amongst collectors.  But if it’s a one of a kind pièce, some will probably go for it.  Hard to tell without pix.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 11:20:59 PM »
Hi Martin, I'm actually in D.C. this week!  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 01:17:34 AM »
Dry mounting is death to the value of a poster (to true poster collectors, that is).

Good luck.

And is the value you're stating $150,000.00?  :o

What years and genres are these posters from? A list , pics or more info would help.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 03:34:55 AM »
And if the bar was from an age when one could smoke in it... am sure this won't add to the value even if it does to the character.

Sorry if there is seemingly so much negativity, just preparing you for some reality.

For the truly valuable pieces, then major restorations could take place to remove from boarding and clean up, but it is doubtful a Metropolis poster would have been stuck to the wall of a bar.  Still, photos and titles to discuss?

Offline Martin M

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 02:40:08 PM »
I have 300 pics on a facebook page, not sure how to load them here.  Need to down load them.  This isn't about max dollar, just reasonable. I was hoping someone with a home theater may want to decorate.   I sent pics out last year to some collectors, they said 2 or 3 were worth 20-40,000.00 dollars.   If not dry mounted they may not have lasted this long they said.  Any FB names will get the pics.   
Thanks for the replies.   

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
"If not dry mounted they may not have lasted this long they said."

I don't know what kind of collectors you talked to, but that's complete fallacies.  Linenbacking preserves the posters without lowering their value, dry mounting doesn't.  It's probably the worst thing you can do to a poster, short of trashing it, that is.  Sorry, just being honest.

Why don't you post a link to the FB page for people to look at?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 10:55:01 PM »
I have 300 pics on a facebook page, not sure how to load them here.  Need to down load them.  This isn't about max dollar, just reasonable. I was hoping someone with a home theater may want to decorate.   I sent pics out last year to some collectors, they said 2 or 3 were worth 20-40,000.00 dollars.   If not dry mounted they may not have lasted this long they said.  Any FB names will get the pics.   
Thanks for the replies.

Martin -- Another dry mounting-related thread you might want to read:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2912.0.html

-Jeff

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »
Martin,

Welcome to the forum...although it sounds as if you are just passing through until you can sell your posters. You may also want to consider using auction houses, such as emovieposter.com or heritage auctions (ha.com)---but they also may not be willing to take on dry mounted items. But you may want to inquire. What is the Facebook name so we can look the pictures up? 

Good luck to you.

Cheers!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!