Author Topic: Shipped Rolled One Sheets Overseas? Think Again. They're Too Big Now !!  (Read 10812 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Well international poster buyers, we have reached a sad situation.

This is a 32 inch tube, 3 inches wide that was shipping to Europe..and it has been returned to me twice, because it no longer meets the requirements for First Class International Package Shipping aka Airmail. The max measurements combined are 42 inches (length + circumference times 2) and that means...

Rolled One Sheet Posters can now only be shipped via Priority Mail, which is twice the cost
I think this pretty much puts the kibosh on selling lower-priced rolled posters overseas, or lowers the prices paid, in order to justify the extra cost of shipping.

Note: while the label cites rule 251.21/22, the correct rule is 251.23. Link to the rules below
https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_021.htm

251.23 Dimensions — Rolls
Rolls must be within the following dimensions:
    Minimum length: 4 inches.
    Minimum length plus twice the diameter combined: 6-3/4 inches.
    Maximum length: 36 inches.
    Maximum length plus twice the diameter combined: 42 inches.

International buyers. it was nice knowing ya.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Shipped Rolled One Sheets Overseas? Think Again. They're Too Big Now !!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 04:18:07 AM »
I haven't had a coffee yet, so forgive me if I'm being dopey, but doesn't your package fit fine within those listed rules?

There were some people posting about this exact issue in a Facebook group for Mondo collectors recently. They seemed to think it was someone in a West Coast customs office somewhere misunderstanding the rules as folk from other areas of the US weren't having this problem.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 03:50:18 PM »
I haven't had a coffee yet, so forgive me if I'm being dopey, but doesn't your package fit fine within those listed rules?

There were some people posting about this exact issue in a Facebook group for Mondo collectors recently. They seemed to think it was someone in a West Coast customs office somewhere misunderstanding the rules as folk from other areas of the US weren't having this problem.

this package was returned twice. First time it was resent by the guy at the po that does know everything.
as to measuring.. packages are measure by a laser device as they pass on the conveyor belts and redirected to a side belt when they are over dimension.

it's only since October 1st, so my suspicion is that more & more people will be reporting this issue

I have no way to fight it, nor dispute it and I'm not interested in wasting $27 a pop to keep trying (shipping+tube+supplies. doesn't even include a stipend for labor)

shipping has been marching in this direction for years, but I thought there would be a couple more years to it. Trump's rise has emboldened and driven the GOP to keep screwing with the post office and believe it or not, heavier boxes now ship cheaper by Fed-X ground. I've been selling by mail for more than 40 years and factually, markets keep having roadblocks dumped in front of them. The fact that the post office is being destroyed by the Republicans is a sorry commentary on how little they give a damn about anything but themselves and by the way, approximately 40% of postal employees are former military, so this also shows how little the Right really cares about our veterans.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 04:17:00 PM »
You sure automation is kicking these out? Sounds like some idiot is doing 2x the circumference instead of the diameter which would be part of the girth measurement.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 11:32:17 PM »
by the way, approximately 40% of postal employees are former military,

This part of your post at least is incorrect.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 11:59:04 PM »
This part of your post at least is incorrect.

I just looked, it's dropped to 21%.
still quite a large contingent
https://massvetsadvisor.org/details/10497/United_States_Postal_Service_Careers

You sure automation is kicking these out? Sounds like some idiot is doing 2x the circumference instead of the diameter which would be part of the girth measurement.

yes, it is automated, but I was speaking with a manager today & she doesn't understand why it's being returned. Unfortunately, I didn't have it in my car. So monday I'll bring it to her and she's going to see what's up. Could be the new regulations are improperly entered into the software of the scanning equipment
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:01:25 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 12:48:01 AM »

Ditto.  If the "maximum length" is 36", and his tube was only 32", then maybe his diameter was too big.  That's the only thing I could think of.  Try a skinnier tube? 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:57:45 AM by Stefano »

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 01:03:59 AM »
I just looked, it's dropped to 21%.
still quite a large contingent
https://massvetsadvisor.org/details/10497/United_States_Postal_Service_Careers

dropped? the article you quote is from 2011. current percentages are less than that.
but by your numbers that would mean 120,000 veterans left working for the post office in the recent past. where did you get such a crazy number?

(and yes, it's a large contingent, but no need to exaggerate)
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »
I guess you could always just fold the rolled ones to ship them in a box  ;D

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 08:54:13 PM »
dropped? the article you quote is from 2011. current percentages are less than that.
but by your numbers that would mean 120,000 veterans left working for the post office in the recent past. where did you get such a crazy number?

(and yes, it's a large contingent, but no need to exaggerate)

I wonder if the percentage was higher after Vietnam?  It seemed like it was, but I don't have the numbers to back it up.  Maybe there's also a distinction in how the term veteran is used for service in different eras for National Guard, Reserves, Active Duty, and combat veterans?  It seemed like all our actual letter carriers where I grew up were veterans, though not sure about all the post office staff.   Okie

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »
well, the manager at the local po says it appears to have been returned both times in error & she is going to ship it out with a zero postage label today

let's see how it works out this time

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 03:00:38 PM »
well, it appears this package, shipped the third time, is departing Los Angeles international distribution center for Europe..

good to know, that I can continue to ship rolled one sheets overseas.. Yay!

-------