Author Topic: Halloween movies 2019  (Read 23507 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Halloween movies 2019
« on: October 02, 2019, 11:39:28 PM »
So what are y'all watching this October?  So far I've seen...

Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
Ravenous (1999)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Halloween movies 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 11:46:26 PM »
Hi Harry,
My 12 year old daughter and I watched part of Hocus Pocus at a diner this week!

Okie

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 02:59:15 AM »
Hi Harry,
My 12 year old daughter and I watched part of Hocus Pocus at a diner this week!

Okie

I watched that yesterday too. I also watched Midsommar, wasn’t bad, I liked it..

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 05:36:23 AM »
Ravenous (1999)

Oooh, I haven't seen Ravenous in a long time...a fantastic film that I'm now going to rewatch. Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm a bit behind on recent horror releases, so I'm hoping to get to The Ritual, Hereditary and Midsommar.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:00:29 AM »
I watched the Director's Cut of Midsommar, which I quite liked.  A slow burn, not as great as the director's preceding effort (Hereditary), but still very good, with great visuals and strong performances. 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 02:20:41 PM »
I hated hereditary so I’ve been on the fence about watching the next one.  Every night, I sit in front of my TV and hesitate.  I ended up watching Blinded by the light last night and fell asleep.  Maybe tonite.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 04:50:27 PM »
I hated hereditary so I’ve been on the fence about watching the next one.  Every night, I sit in front of my TV and hesitate.  I ended up watching Blinded by the light last night and fell asleep.  Maybe tonite.

T

T, I agree with you. Hereditary wasn’t that great. I don’t know what the big deal was with that one... But Midsommar was quite a bit better.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 06:27:54 PM »
Based on your recommendation, and since I know you love this type of movies, I'll check it out.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
Oooh, I haven't seen Ravenous in a long time...a fantastic film that I'm now going to rewatch. Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm a bit behind on recent horror releases, so I'm hoping to get to The Ritual, Hereditary and Midsommar.

There aren't many women horror directors so I'm going out of my way to track some of them down this year (e.g. Slumber Party Massacre).  Not that I wouldn't have watched Ravenous regardless.  I've seen it multiple times and always enjoyed it's quirkiness, even upon it's release when it was savaged by the critics.  However, I stumbled across these great reviews over the last year and decided to add it this season's festivities:

https://deepfocusreview.com/reviews/ravenous/
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/to-serve-man-why-ravenous-is-the-greatest-cannibal-western-ever-43674/

It didn't hurt that a friend wanted to watch Bone Tomahawk -- probably the only other cannibal western horror film!  laugh1

To add to my running list:

Bone Tomahawk (2015)
Woman in Black (2012)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 09:08:29 PM »
I watched Suspiria(1977) when it was on TCM the other night.

It's been a while since I saw the movie. It was suspenseful at times. The score was a bit dissonant and frantic, and the film was visually interesting. However, it was more style than substance in my opinion.

I was thinking about checking out the remake from 2018, or as Tilda Swinton called it, "the cover". It didn't get particullarly good reviews though.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 01:30:09 PM »
The Suspiria remake is great until the last 15 minutes, which is a real letdown of cheesy gore and bad CGI reminiscent of a late 1990s low-rent production.  I loved everything else before that last act, and the visual style, while completely different from that of Argento in the original movie, is fantastic.  Overall, I think it's really worth watching (the scenario really departs quite drastically from the 1977 version, so that ultimately it feels less like a remake and more like a different story altogether), but be prepared for a disappointing ending.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 12:24:03 AM »
The Suspiria remake is great until the last 15 minutes, which is a real letdown of cheesy gore and bad CGI reminiscent of a late 1990s low-rent production.  I loved everything else before that last act, and the visual style, while completely different from that of Argento in the original movie, is fantastic.  Overall, I think it's really worth watching (the scenario really departs quite drastically from the 1977 version, so that ultimately it feels less like a remake and more like a different story altogether), but be prepared for a disappointing ending.

Thanks for the review. I will make a point to check it out in the spirit of the season.  >:D

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 10:28:28 AM »
Old Dark House (1932)
Green Room (2016)

Wow, if you aren't squeamish about violence and are unfamiliar with Green Room, don't read any reviews -- just see it blind.  I knew very little going in other than the basic plot (a punk band plays a shady gig) and that it was a indy horror film.  It was one of the best horror experiences I've had in a while! 

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 12:18:00 AM »
I plan on watching "Night of the Eagle" (aka "Burn Witch Burn") from 1962 again.  I first saw it a few years ago, and was impressed how entertained I was by an old black and white British flick.  Very creepy.  Simple story.  Intelligent dialog and acting.  Engaging from start to finish. 

For those who haven't seen it, the basic premise:  An up-and-coming college professor has made his career by debunking superstition and black magic with science and psychology.  He is up for promotion, but has some competition, and the wives of the other professors seem resentful.  He starts to experience an unusual string of bad luck that puts his and his wife's lives in increasing danger, and challenges his logical worldview...  And I won't tell any more!

Recommended viewing for the Halloween season.

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 09:32:47 AM »
"Burn Witch Burn" is a fun movie indeed, worth the re-watch.  The same story ("Conjure Wife" by Fritz Leiber) was the basis of Weird Woman (1944), which was part of Universal's Inner Sanctum series.  Not as good as "Burn Witch Burn" but entertaining in its own right.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »
I love Burn Witch Burn!  Haven't seen it in years tho -- maybe I'll revisit it.

Rabid (1977)
Bubba Ho-tep (2002)
Frankenstein (1931)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 08:58:48 PM »
I love Burn Witch Burn!  Haven't seen it in years tho -- maybe I'll revisit it.

Rabid (1977)
Bubba Ho-tep (2002)
Frankenstein (1931)

Oh yeah, Bubba Ho-Tep!!! 

I think I also want to watch some Night Stalker: Kolchak lives!
Okie

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
3 From Hell... I don’t know, the first two films were good. But this one, This one was just meh...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »
Babadook (2014)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Alien (1979)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 03:37:24 PM »
Not exactly a Halloween movie, but earlier this week I watched the new documentary on the making of the original Alien, called Memory.  Entertaining doc with some behind-the-scenes footage from 1979, along with new interviews with Dan O'Banon's widow and some of the cast (Tom Skerritt, Veronica Cartwright) and crew members, worth checking out.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 06:34:04 PM »
Not exactly a Halloween movie, but earlier this week I watched the new documentary on the making of the original Alien, called Memory.  Entertaining doc with some behind-the-scenes footage from 1979, along with new interviews with Dan O'Banon's widow and some of the cast (Tom Skerritt, Veronica Cartwright) and crew members, worth checking out.
Thanks for the recommendation, Antoine.  I had not heard this documentary came out.  Okie

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 10:30:07 AM »
Isnt a Halloween movie in the eye of the beholder anyway?

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein...Best ever.
Exorcist III ...what a shit title for a great movie. Legion anyone?

On deck

American Werewolf in London, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Ninth Gate.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 11:49:02 PM »

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein...Best ever.
Exorcist III ...what a shit title for a great movie. Legion anyone?

On deck

American Werewolf in London, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Ninth Gate.

I agree, Zorba: eye of the beholder. My wife and I tonight watched The Manchurian Candidate (1962).  Angela Lansbury as Eleanor Shaw is pure evil. Okie

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 03:01:15 PM »
Son of Frankenstein (1939)
Aliens (1986)
Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 07:39:06 PM »

Very much agree. If you watch enough films during the Halloween season there has to be some flexibility in what qualifies!