Author Topic: How Should I Frame My Jaws One-Sheet?  (Read 9002 times)

Offline KalChe00

• Beginner
How Should I Frame My Jaws One-Sheet?
« on: September 21, 2019, 11:00:55 PM »
Hey everybody, I'm new here at APF! I just recently picked up a near perfect rolled Jaws poster. It has already been linen-backed and ready to frame! I'm just having a hard time choosing the right colors to fit the poster. I was thinking about a classic black frame around but can't decide on what type of matting/colors I should do. I was thinking about using a black suede with a blue color that matches the water for the secondary to give it a sweet look but I'm not sure. Could y'all please help me out a bit and give me some suggestions?

Here is a photo of Jaws poster:  https://imgur.com/a/fvWcjLX

l also have some posters that were framed that had liners being used to keep the poster from touching the glass. They look real classy and I enjoy them a lot! I was thinking about using the liners for the Jaws, but I kind of want to try something new!! Please let me know what ya'll think!

Jimi Hendrix print is an example with liners being used.

Here is a photo of the Jimi Hendrix: https://imgur.com/a/4v49q1i
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:21:16 AM by KalChe00 »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: How Should I Frame My Jaws One-Sheet?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 11:50:58 PM »
Welcome to APF, KalChe00!

My first recommendation would be not to use glass to frame your posters.  Hollywood Poster Frames and Spotlight Displays both have great framing options that use plexiglas and similar material that you can put right up against your posters. I recommend checking out both these sources online.

My best, Okie

Offline KalChe00

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 12:08:07 AM »
Thanks for your reply and suggestion!

But I'm going to frame this poster under museum quality glass! It's going to get professional done of course! I already know what color frame I'm going to get around it, which will be black. I'm just having trouble deciding what type of color trim I should use or if I should just use liners. .

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 12:45:32 AM »
I think what you really need is an interior decorator.  It's quite difficult to give you an answer unless we know the color of your walls, how luminous your place is, where the poster will be hung, etc...  I don't hang any of my posters and my wife does all the decorating, so I'm the worst person to give you advice, but maybe someone at a frame store could guide you.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 07:51:48 AM »
Gratz on the new Jaws poster!

While you are on your own with the color choices, I suggest the following:

1. Take the poster to a trusted framer. You want to make sure that they don't dry mount or damage the poster in any way as part of the framing process.
2. Specify how you want the poster secured within the frame. Some framers will use tape which is supposedly removable but can damage the edges of your poster.
3. Use acid free or archival backing board and mats(if you go with a matting). Mats may provide enough of an air gap that you don't need to use additional spacers.
4. Museum glass is a great product, and I have a handful of posters and prints framed with it. However, don't feel that since you are using Museum glass or UV plexiglass, that you can put your poster in direct sunlight or under bright lights because you'd be protected. Any light, will over time, fade paper. Using quality framing materials will help to protect your Jaws poster for the long run, but don't overestimate what they can do.
5. Based on the oversize one-sheet and materials, this frame is going to be expensive and quite heavy. Make sure to use a suitable wall anchor to protect your poster and frame. If a glass frame comes off the wall, it is going to shatter and will possibly damage the poster in the fall.

Good luck!  :D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 12:07:31 PM »
First,  welcome1 to the forum.

You said your poster is already linen backed, so your frame size will be slightly larger than if i was just the poster on its own (or unless you trim the linen to the edge of the poster, which most don't recommend).

Your thought of using a basic black frame is good, as that color will go with most wall colors, even if you change that, down the road. I would avoid a mat of any kind. (my own personal POV).

And DO NOT use glass in the frame. Go with UV plexi, as glass holds heat and moisture. (plus it's much lighter weight than glass).

Good luck.  :)

-Jeff

Offline KalChe00

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 01:21:41 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I know most of y'all use HPF to frame most of your posters. I heard lots of good things about them but me personally I prefer getting mine professional done. You may think it's super heavy but actually that Jimi Hendrix example is 33"x46" poster framed with museum glass and it's not that heavy. I don't need to worry about who can trust my posters because I work with a good/caring framer who is also a collector of art so he appreciates them. I don't mind spending a lot on frames because I already spent lots of money on posters haha. I want all my posters to have the best care and all of them are all framed using archival methods. Also I never put any of my posters in direct sunlight so I don't have to worry about that. In my opinion, the museum glass is the best option to use it looks super great anybody who pays the extra to get museum glass knows this. Soon I'm going to head to the framers to really find out what looks best! I'll post pictures of the results in this discussion post. I would also like to shoutout Mario at "Lumiere Poster Restoration" they linen-backed/restored many of my posters!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 02:25:19 PM by KalChe00 »

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 11:03:36 PM »
Hey man, cool poster.  I agree with Jeff, skip the mattes.  I personally don't like them, especially on posters that are large to begin with.  Just a personal preference, but I think they look so clunky! 

I go with skinny, black aluminum frames for most of my posters.  It's contemporary, goes with almost everything, and doesn't overwhelm the poster. 

I'm curious to hear about the liners you use to keep the poster from directly contacting the glass. 

Offline KalChe00

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 10:50:34 PM »
Hey, Stefano!

I ended up using the liners! You're right the mattes did look very clunky and bad! In a couple of weeks I'll be getting it back, so be ready everyone!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 05:04:28 PM »
welcome to the group

might I suggest a new method for framing folded one sheets to everyone.

how about keeping it folded, in an 11x14 inch frame, with the NSS stamp showing. The upside is you can post 8 of these in the area a one sheet displays in

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 05:05:46 PM »
and if you have a 3 sheet up, you could display 24 frames in that space. I'll bet nobody has 24 three sheets displayed on a wall anywhere!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 07:13:28 PM »
NSS stamps are underrated IMO.  Especially the blue ones thumbsup.gif

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »
NSS stamps are underrated IMO.  Especially the blue ones thumbsup.gif

sm1

-------

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 04:36:17 AM »
Personally you should frame it at my house.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline KalChe00

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »
I posted the results on "Movie-Posters-Latest Acquisitions." Go to October 2019 you'll find it!