Author Topic: September 2019  (Read 9139 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
September 2019
« on: September 07, 2019, 11:40:16 PM »
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: September 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 12:04:50 AM »
Hahaha... this is awesome.  I need to show it to my wife and tell her she's a lucky woman.

:)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 12:13:47 AM »
Hahaha... this is awesome.  I need to show it to my wife and tell her she's a lucky woman.

:)

T

Yeah...to be honest Thierry it is one I cannot justify displaying until my daughter is older and understands the historical context. 

But the movie is great and well the poster is very striking ;)
Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 01:36:20 AM »
Yeah...to be honest Thierry it is one I cannot justify displaying until my daughter is older and understands the historical context. 

But the movie is great and well the poster is very striking ;)

Maybe it's just a "made you flinch" moment, Chris? T better watch it as his Mrs. might say "Very funny dear. Now, why don't you just go to sleep."
Okie
P.S. I think Lizabeth could probably kick some butt!

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 07:20:07 AM »
If an example of that poster goes lower than it should I have added it to my list of poster to grab. Striking indeed!

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 07:25:51 AM »
Grabbed this one because it went cheaper than it should have. Rolled and gorgeous...

And this one I have wanted for years. The Indian three sheet to me might be the best image of all the posters for this title...at least to me. Paid a bit more than I wanted but still think it was a good buy. How much do you think it will cost to linen back and get rid of some of the slight browning at some of the fold lines?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 12:49:28 PM »
I think it would be a mistake to linenback that Jaws.  It’s great as is.  And I think you got it at a good price.  I already own it but almost went for it yesterday because the price was good.

I put it #2 after the Thai, my all time fav, and right before the Japanese B0 which is gorgeous in that size.  A good buy.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 03:40:25 PM »
I think it would be a mistake to linenback that Jaws.  It’s great as is.  And I think you got it at a good price.  I already own it but almost went for it yesterday because the price was good.

I put it #2 after the Thai, my all time fav, and right before the Japanese B0 which is gorgeous in that size.  A good buy.

T

Thank you for this. I can't really display it though without linen backing it, and those light brown issues at the bottom fold lines bother me.

What does the Thai look like? I don't know if I have ever seen that one.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »
You can see it on my Jaws page: https://moviepostersgallery.com/jaws/

Yeah, I don’t display my posters, so it’s a non issue for me.

T
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 04:38:36 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 04:46:58 PM »
You can see it on my Jaws page: https://moviepostersgallery.com/jaws/

Yeah, I don’t display my posters, so it’s a non issue for me.

T

I do like that Thai poster. In looking at the Thai portion of your collection, I am digging Thai posters in general now. Very nice looking. For Jaws I think I still prefer the Indian three sheet though.

I really like that French 8-panel!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 06:12:58 PM »
Thai posters are very cool because they always add characters to the US design.  I don't have a lot of Thai posters because the few titles I'm interest in are incredibly hard to find.  I've waited years to get Back to the Future and Gremlins.  I just purchased a Deep Red (Argento) poster, probably one of a kind, which I will add to my collection after I receive it.  Lesser titles can easily be found though.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 06:41:08 PM »
I would love to get my hands on the Thai Jaws poster. Any tips on where to get one? I've never seen one at EMP, HA or eBay.

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »
Jaws 3 French Door Panel

and The Silent World French Poster

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:30:37 PM by eric160634 »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 11:02:25 PM »
Love the Cousteau poster.  It’s not something you see every day.  Very nice.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 11:06:43 PM »
I would love to get my hands on the Thai Jaws poster. Any tips on where to get one? I've never seen one at EMP, HA or eBay.

Sorry, no tips.  I’ve seen it pop up on eBay, but it’s very seldom.  I like to own 2 copies of the posters I love, but I haven’t seen one in a long time.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 11:16:59 PM »
Love the Cousteau poster.  It’s not something you see every day.  Very nice.

T

I second, T! Cousteau's adventures were incredible to watch growing up.  I have his blue hole book on my shelf in my office. What size is your Cousteau poster, Eric? Also, you may need a trip to Thailand and some night market hunting to find your Jaws poster!

Okie

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 11:26:01 PM »
Sorry, no tips.  I’ve seen it pop up on eBay, but it’s very seldom.  I like to own 2 copies of the posters I love, but I haven’t seen one in a long time.

I have an eBay alert on this one but have never seen one pop up. I'll keep waiting.

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 11:27:07 PM »
What size is your Cousteau poster, Eric?

It is 19.25 by 24.25.

I'd love to make a trip to Thailand but I'm not sure my wife would go for it.

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2019, 10:54:10 AM »
Ok so I have officially started to dip my toes into the beautiful uncharted (to me) waters of non-U.S. posters. It started last month with my purchase of the 2001 4 fogli and the Ten Commandments six panel. Then I saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood two weeks ago, and the use of those large Italian posters for the Spaghetti Westerns just spoke to me. They are so beautiful. So when I saw it was time for the rounds of foreign poster at EMP, I decided it was time to ramp things up. The first go round at EMP was smaller sized non-U.S. posters, and I found that, for whatever personal reason, I'm not into non-U.S. posters that are smaller than a one sheet. Not sure why. But Aussie daybills, Belgians, etc just don't do it for me. Size matters. So I sat on the sidelines for those.

However.

Yesterday's offerings were right up my alley. I went after a bunch, some with more gusto than others. The only one that I wanted pretty badly that I didn't get was the Ferris Bueller Italian 2 fogli, but it's not super rare so I didn't go all in for it.

So these are my winnings from yesterday.

Love this Thierry hates "French Grande" for the 1960's re-release of the African Queen. This is my second one of this and will likely be a Christmas present for my mom.

I had never seen this poster before and was captivated by the artwork. Italian 2 fogli.

Love the large beautiful image of Sinatra on this one. Thierry hates "French Grande".

This one is one of my favorites. What a breathtaking image of John Wayne on horseback. And so large!! Italian 4 fogli.

A Hercules Italian 2 fogli. I like the artwork and it went cheap so why not?

I really like this different image from one of my favorite movies of all time. 1980's re-release Thierry hates "French Grande".

I liked the striking imagery on this one, and again, it was pretty cheap. Italian 2 fogli.

Another breathtaking John Wayne poster, this one a Thierry hates "French Grande".

This one I love the image of Poitier and it's a great movie.

Again love the image, popular film, and went cheap.

And then my two favorites.

This one is getting linen backed, framed, and put in the pool table room in our house (not really a pool room...a friend gave us their large old pool table if we paid to get it from their house as they were moving...so we put it in our living room that we never really used...and voila!! A pool table room). To me, this is the best image from The Hustler of any poster I have seen. Just love it.

And my first Bardot. I am infatuated with Bardot but more so the 1950's version of her. I'm not a big fan of 1960's hairstyles or fashion so I want to concentrate on the 1950's poster images of her. And this is one of my favorites from one of her most well known films...And God Created Woman. Thierry hates "French Grande" for the early 1960's re-release. Features basically the same image as the original release poster so I am fine with this (somewhat) cheaper version. And it's an early re-release.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 12:36:32 PM »
FYI... It says Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"" because I hate the fact that large French posters are called Grande.  Grande means Big.  So HA, which leads the trend, calls large French posters Big.  Just Big.  Grande is an adjective.  Affiche means poster, in French.  So Grande Affiche means large poster.  Grande by itself means nothing.  What they call Affiche is a middle size French poster.  Again, wrong.  Middle size and large size French posters are BOTH called Affiches.  So are the billboards.  The very small French posters are called Affichettes.  That's the only difference.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 12:55:31 PM »
It sounds better to me than "French 1 panel" or some such thing. More gravitas. Which I suppose was why Heritage calls them such.

Whatever they are called I really like some of them and want more. The Italian 2 and 4 fogli posters as well. I am just getting into this aspect of collecting.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 01:05:14 PM »
Great buys.  All of them.  This is a great start of a foreign collection...  thumbsup.gif

The Bardot is great, and you got it at a good price.  As with every French poster that has been reprinted for a later release, there is a slight difference in printing quality.  Most people don't know (or care) about it because they have never seen the original.  The '56 poster (left) is a little harder to find, but should you decide to linenback the '64 version, maybe you should wait and try to locate the original.  It does look different.

And if you decide to go after Bardots, I'm still missing a few pieces, so be ready for a battle, should you go against me :)

https://moviepostersgallery.com/brigitte-bardot/

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »
I don't think I will become a completist with Bardot. For me it will be all about the image on the poster. If I like it I will try to get it. I have seen a few that I will be on the lookout for. This one was at the top of my list, and because it is so similar to the original, and it is an early re-release and still some 55 years old, I am fine with getting this one and don't think I will be aggressively pursuing an original release for it. If one falls in my lap I will not say no, but I don't think I will go crazy bidding on one at this point.

I thank you for the compliment regarding the purchases. I couldn't be happier to start this part of my collection with these pieces. Wish I would have gotten the Ferris Bueller but it will come up again.

I really like the 4 fogli for The Cowboys. That's a true piece of art.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 08:58:05 PM »
Nice Italian and French painted posters, Ratzkywatzky!  The Cowboys is such a great movie and cool poster. The African Queen is much more appealing to me as compared to the original US one sheet.  Go big and go painted!  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 10:46:46 PM »
Nice crop of foreigns, there, Ratzkywatzky. I wide range of genres, too. Congrats on the wins and pickups.  :D

-Jeff