Author Topic: Peter Strausfeld  (Read 3607 times)

Offline AcademyPete

• Beginner
Peter Strausfeld
« on: August 22, 2019, 11:46:26 AM »
Hi, new to the forum.

Peter Strausfeld, as you probably know, designed posters for the Academy Cinema, Oxford Street, London. From 1944-1980 (his death) he created distinctive wood/lino cut designs (and a couple of designs in other media).

I've started the thread as I'm researching the Academy for a book, taking in the entire history of the building, constructing a timeline of films that were shown there, as complete a catalogue of the posters as possible, and biographies of the key people involved in its history - Elsie Cohen, George Hoellering, Ivo Jarosy and Strausfeld etc. The Strausfeld section will include other artwork by him giving context to his Academy work.

As I compile the poster catalogue I am keen to hear from anyone as to what they own or owned - perhaps someone has a missing piece of the puzzle that is unique!

Please share any knowledge, thoughts or examples. I'd love to hear from you :)

Thanks,

Pete - pete@academy-cinema.com

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
Re: Peter Strausfeld
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 12:33:17 PM »
I don't own anything by Peter Strausfeld so can't help you on that score but (and you may have done this already) have you tried contacting Greg Edwards who operates under the name of "rarefilmposters" on ebay? All 70 examples of Strausfeld posters currently for sale on ebay are owned by him so he obviously cornered the market some time ago.

He is a longtime dealer of posters and author of books on the subject. I don't know him or how helpful he would or wouldn't be but I imagine he is knowledgeable on the subject.

Best of luck with your project - sounds interesting.

Offline AcademyPete

• Beginner
Re: Peter Strausfeld
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »
Thanks, yes, I haven't spoken to him yet but do plan to as he is certainly a key dealer in the UK :)