Author Topic: Anyone find used frames to fit their posters?  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
Anyone find used frames to fit their posters?
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:36:16 PM »
This post is inspired by an interest in decent frames, but an inability (or unwillingness) to pay retail frame prices. (And wholesale is getting pricey, too.) 

It's getting to be garage sale season around here, and with the thrift movement in full swing, I'm curious as to whether any budget-minded collectors have ever looked for used or vintage frames to fit their posters, particularly in odd sizes.  It can be easy to find small standard sizes like 8x10 or 11x14 inch, but what about something that would be a closer fit for your foreign lobbies, or all those foreign-size one-sheets? 

There have been times that I've seen nice custom frames at garage sales for dirt cheap, but I didn't have a measuring tape to see how close the size would fit my needs.  So I've started bringing a measuring tape to sales on the odd chance that I find a 22x33 inch frame.  It can't be too expensive to add some acid-free backing. 

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any success stories about found or re-purposed frames.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Anyone find used frames to fit their posters?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
 Hi Stefano, One thing I used to do was buy used black metal  frames for a few dollars a piece at thrift stores and garage/yard sales.  These are the frames that have the slide in and screw down corners on the back.  I could then mix and match the different side lengths as needed by unscrewing the corners. Then, you can recut the glass/plexi for the new size. Another thing you can do is buy used frames bigger than your poster and just cut a rag mat to make up the difference.  Okie

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 11:39:39 PM »
Some great ideas, Okie, thanks!

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 03:23:46 AM »
The other week, I found a great black aluminum custom framed World Open tennis poster at a garage sale.  It was around 2 p.m., and the lady was ready to close up shop.  I wasn't sure of the exact dimensions, but the lady told me, "You can't go wrong for 25 cents."  I agreed. 

I got a bit of a sore arm carrying the bugger five blocks back to my place, but was pleased to find after measuring it that it's only a couple inches wider than an Italian Fotobusta.  I will put this frame to good use.  Just think, someone probably dropped $150 on this custom frame job.  And I got it for a quarter. 

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 02:29:49 PM »
The other week, I found a great black aluminum custom framed World Open tennis poster at a garage sale.  It was around 2 p.m., and the lady was ready to close up shop.  I wasn't sure of the exact dimensions, but the lady told me, "You can't go wrong for 25 cents."  I agreed. 

I got a bit of a sore arm carrying the bugger five blocks back to my place, but was pleased to find after measuring it that it's only a couple inches wider than an Italian Fotobusta.  I will put this frame to good use.  Just think, someone probably dropped $150 on this custom frame job.  And I got it for a quarter.

That's a very good deal, Stefano!  Good timing.  Okie