Author Topic: Return of the Jedi Style A Insert Authentication  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Rideauwrangler

• Beginner
Return of the Jedi Style A Insert Authentication
« on: April 24, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »
Got semi-duped on a lot of Star Wars inserts and half-sheets. The good news is they were sold to me on credit (LOL) so I have no intention of paying for them. I have positively ID'ed everything except the Jedi Style A insert and half sheet. I have read there are no known bootlegs of the Return of the Jedi Style A's except in the case of the obvious minty-white examples and the examples I received are not minty-white; but they still came from the same lot as those I have positively identified as fakes...... So my question is:

How do I definitively authenticate a Return of the Jedi NSS Style A Insert and half-sheet? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Return of the Jedi Style A Insert Authentication
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:56:24 AM »
Get in touch with Undead, here on the forum.  I haven't seen much of him lately but he knows more about Star Wars than anyone I can think of.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »
Got semi-duped on a lot of Star Wars inserts and half-sheets. The good news is they were sold to me on credit (LOL) so I have no intention of paying for them. I have positively ID'ed everything except the Jedi Style A insert and half sheet. I have read there are no known bootlegs of the Return of the Jedi Style A's except in the case of the obvious minty-white examples and the examples I received are not minty-white; but they still came from the same lot as those I have positively identified as fakes...... So my question is:

How do I definitively authenticate a Return of the Jedi NSS Style A Insert and half-sheet? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hey Rideauwrangler -  could you post some pics of the bootlegs that you received?

Would be great to see and check out.

Glad to hear you didn't get taken for any cash in this bum deal, too.  thumbsup.gif whew.gif

-Jeff

Offline Rideauwrangler

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 01:30:56 PM »
On the B, here's a pretty good write up: http://movieposterauthenticating.com/wordpress/star-wars-return-of-the-jedi/return-of-the-jedi-style-b-insert/

T

Thanks, this is the same resource I already referenced for my Style B(s) but can't find anything about Style A.

Offline Rideauwrangler

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 01:32:27 PM »
Hey Rideauwrangler -  could you post some pics of the bootlegs that you received?

Glad to hear you didn't get taken for any cash in this bum deal, too.  thumbsup.gif whew.gif

I will try to make the effort: they are classic examples of cropped art-work. Very high quality repro's, excellent printing, right paper est.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 04:13:35 PM »
Thanks, this is the same resource I already referenced for my Style B(s) but can't find anything about Style A.

Try Mike « Undead ».

He should be able to help you, and if he does, please post your findings for future reference.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »
Got your message. I am currently traveling and cannot do much until mid next week. In the meantime please post some pics of the Jedi A's would be appreciated.

For reference, there is a bootleg for the insert, half sheet and one sheet for the A.  The insert and half sheet are very common. The one sheet is very rare.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:19:37 PM »
There is a style A bootleg 1-sheet?!?  Is it 27x41”?

Offline Rideauwrangler

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 06:45:33 AM »

ESB Style B insert RESTRIKE (sorry for the poor quality photos!)

cropped artwork

ROTJ Style B insert RESTRIKE

again, cropped artwork

Offline Rideauwrangler

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 06:52:04 AM »
Got your message. I am currently traveling and cannot do much until mid next week. In the meantime please post some pics of the Jedi A's would be appreciated.

For reference, there is a bootleg for the insert, half sheet and one sheet for the A.  The insert and half sheet are very common. The one sheet is very rare.

Here are the unknowns. I am keeping my fingers crossed but "I got a bad feeling about this"..... again, sorry about the poor pictures

ROTJ Style A insert

and ROTJ Style A half-sheet

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 04:59:13 PM »
There is a style A bootleg 1-sheet?!?  Is it 27x41”?

Yes, I will try and find the images of out when I get back. It's pretty good but can be identified at a glance.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 05:19:47 PM »
Unfortunately the way I can usually tell the difference on the A is with the slight color differences. Based on those yours are also indeed in the minty white bootleg group. That being said though, cameras and lighting can affect this so without much better shots or having them in hand I cannot put a 100% yay/nay stamp on them.

Matt, I need to find the drive with notes and pics I made from looking at the 1S style A bootleg. The short answer for identifying them is to look at the light saber trail on the left side. In the normal one sheet the color looks to be blue/white gradients. In the bootleg there is a definite tan tinge to the trail especially next to the saber. The paper was off as well, the back was rougher than normal 1S stock from the time period and slightly thinner, closer to Australian 1S paper from the period.

For reference to date I have physically held "bootlegs that don't exist" for Star Wars 1 sheets including SW second advance (silver one), Style D, EMP A, Jedi A. Any others are already well known. All but the second advance seem to be made by the same printer/person as the paper stock is the same.

Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Rideauwrangler

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 06:03:28 AM »
Unfortunately the way I can usually tell the difference on the A is with the slight color differences. Based on those yours are also indeed in the minty white bootleg group. That being said though, cameras and lighting can affect this so without much better shots or having them in hand I cannot put a 100% yay/nay stamp on them.

Thanks for the two cents. I am certain these 4 poster's are all examples that came from the well known NSS unauthorized-afterhours-restrike batch from the 1980's. I was hoping to get lucky on the Style-A's since I could not find anything online to guide authentication; but they all came from the same source.

The guy I got them from is not a dishonest dealer and was duped himself. He told me he acquired the batch, probably half a dozen of each, about 25-30 years ago. Since they came to me on credit I will not be paying for them. However, the seller is my friend so, I feel obligated to return them to him if he wants them back (and share the unfortunate news).

I believe in the case of the ESB and ROTJ Style-B inserts, I acquired his last copies which means he unwittingly sold +/- 5 others of each over the last 25+ years to other buyers. I believe he still has several ROTJ Style-A inserts and half-sheets (also having sold some of these over the years), and I know he also has at least one or two ESB Style-B half-sheets remaining in his inventory as well. If I end up keeping them I will let you know.

Thanks again!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 03:46:00 PM »
Any time!
Just bleach the bitch!