Author Topic: Bidding on posters you already own  (Read 7851 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Bidding on posters you already own
« on: May 20, 2012, 02:11:59 AM »
Lately, I have found myself bidding on and winning posters I already own just because the price was too good.

Let's say you buy a much desired poster for $100, let's say you've been looking for this poster for a while and it appears to be somewhat rare, and let's say the same poster pops up again at $50, what do you do?  The chances of that poster showing up again are slim.  Do you buy it again, or do you leave it?  

I personally would buy it again.  1) Because it makes me feel like I only spent $75 per poster and 2) Because, selfishly, I don't want anyone else to get it.

What about you guys?

T
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:23:38 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Matt

Re: Bidding on posters you already own
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 02:40:28 AM »
I just recently brought multiple copies of a poster I already had along with a fellow collector on this forum who snagged a couple. We cleaned the seller out so to speak. Why, it was well below market value. My purpose is for trade with a bricks and mortar seller. I do that quite often, buy cheap and trade for a higher price. I might trade 10 or 15 posters for one really good one.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 04:01:32 AM »
I will do this rarely, but if it is a great poster, I perceive it as undervalued, I'll buy it so:
- I'll have a replacement in case my first one ends up fading on the wall, so I have less guilt about displaying it.
- I'll have a great spare to give away or maybe sell (I don't collect as an investment, I collect because I am sick, and in pain, apparently)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:02:01 AM »
(I don't collect as an investment, I collect because I am sick, and in pain, apparently)

Same here. I feel your pain.

Ive bought a handful of second copies as the first ones were not in the best shape. I dont have buy extra copies type money.

I can see buying extras if the price is just too low and the deal is too good to pass up

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 07:36:50 AM »
I too am guilty of this..... :-\
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 11:36:24 AM »
I just recently brought multiple copies of a poster I already had along with a fellow collector on this forum who snagged a couple. We cleaned the seller out so to speak. Why, it was well below market value. My purpose is for trade with a bricks and mortar seller. I do that quite often, buy cheap and trade for a higher price. I might trade 10 or 15 posters for one really good one.

Hmmm...I would assume the purchasers are pretty happy?  ;)
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 11:37:40 AM »
I am guilty as well but not very often.  It's usually on posters I know I can trade easily or that are very popular and thus will sell fast and at a higher amount then I paid for the second or third copy.

Now I just need to get around to trading and selling  eyeroll
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »
I buy multiple copies for various reasons:

-- Too cheap to pass up
-- As an investment for future sale/trade
-- And the most common reason, because I forgot I already owned it moron1

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »

And there's the truth of it!  I find myself too often saying WTF! when I see that I bought a copy of something just a few weeks earlier! Normally, I check the database to make sure there's no dupe.  But if it hasn't been processed by me yet, therein lies the problem.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Matt

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
Hmmm...I would assume the purchasers are pretty happy?  ;)

You could say that. ;)

And there's the truth of it!  I find myself too often saying WTF! when I see that I bought a copy of something just a few weeks earlier! Normally, I check the database to make sure there's no dupe.  But if it hasn't been processed by me yet, therein lies the problem.

I commonly do that with DVD's. hitself

Charlie

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »

Guilty on a few occasions....

I only buy doubles if I it is a deal like T was explaining.  Once paid $45 for a Stargate Quad and then found it again for $15 so I bought another one.. Same with the Italian 2F of Stargate...  $30 and then $5.

Have you ever bough multiple copies of the same poster from the same dealer...  I've picked up a few this way just because they were a steal...

guest4185

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »
It has happened to me a few times when I put `watching bids' on items and then noone else bids and I get a spare. Does anyopne want a `Girl Can't Help It' daybill that I recently acquired this way?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
Hey Dr Bill -- It seems buying a "spare" copy is kind of commonplace. Getting and keeping that additional copy for the proverbial "rainy day."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:55:03 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 11:24:34 PM »
Hey Dr Bill -- It seems buying a "spare" copy is kind of commonplace. Getting and keeping that additional copy for the proverbial "rainy day."

It used to be (does it still happen much?) that when opportunity knocked you'd buy another copy of a hard to find poster/comic book/whatever collectible to trade for another hard to find collectible you wanted.  I still do this if the chance arises.  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 12:15:16 AM »
Not to trade.  To own and to make sure no one else gets it! 

devil 2

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 12:27:22 AM »
Not to trade.  To own and to make sure no one else gets it! 

devil 2

T

Or, perhaps T gives a copy to a very lucky contractor?  Or, Mel sends a copy to an attractive recently married couple?  Or, Matias sends a duplicate Argentinean Frankie to Okie as good will Ambassador to the Americas?

Okie

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 02:25:40 AM »
Same, I buy posters that I already own if they are a great deal because I may want to give them as a gift.
- Eric