Author Topic: Poor framing experience  (Read 11772 times)

Offline Desk

• Beginner
Poor framing experience
« on: March 20, 2019, 06:22:35 PM »
A few months ago I shared an image of a Star Trek: The Motion Picture one sheet which I'd acquired and had professionally framed.

I was bothered by some waves in the top right of the framed poster, which I hadn't been conscious of prior to framing. However, my framer told me he had tried to get it to sit properly and didn't know why it wouldn't...

There was some suggestion on here that the poster had absorbed some water at some point. However, I can now reveal what had happened.

Frustrated by the situation, and thinking I might need to get it linen backed, I went to see another framer with experience handling posters. We opened it up and what did we find? We found that the frame was too small for the poster so it could never sit flat, and in fact one edge was curled up at the top right hand edge of the frame.

Naturally, I was appalled, as I had discussed with the original framer the need for some millimetres of space around the margins of the poster to allow it to expand and contract. In addition, there was no barrier between the poster and the solid backing board - despite having been led to understand that was the case.

I've placed the poster in a tube, but fear that due to the damage its suffered I may need to have it linen backed in order to display correctly. I'm going to look at Poster Mountain carrying out this work, and would appreciate any advice from here about what sort of margin of linen I should leave to allow it to be properly framed next time.

Needless to say, I'll never be returning to that framer again - and to be honest it's made me wary about trusting anyone to handle my posters. I'm not quite sure what to do.

Desk
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:23:55 PM by Desk »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Poor framing experience
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 06:53:03 PM »
Those light ripples should flatten out nicely, if you lay the poser on a flat surface and apply even distributed weight to the entire poster.

Backing seems an extreme (and more $$ measure). Is the poster a rolled copy? Free of any tears, edge rips or severe creases or wrinkles? If so, I'd give the Weight & Wait Method™ a try first, before going the linen backing route.

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
Framing yourself is a great option - then you can be sure exactly what materials have been used and how the poster is situated in the frame
Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 10:31:47 PM »
A properly sized Spotlight Displays frame may do the trick, too.  Okie

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 06:17:15 AM »
Framing yourself is a great option - then you can be sure exactly what materials have been used and how the poster is situated in the frame
I am definitely open to the idea of doing the framing myself, but not sure I've got the competence.

I'm able to get UV-resistant Plexiglas delivered pre-cut to the exact dimensions I require. However, I have no idea how I'd cut a backing board to size, how I'd cut a hinged mount to size, and how I'd cut the four sections of frame with the correct angles and then actually put it together.

I'll do more reading, and meanwhile look to see if the ripples in the Trek poster ease themselves out.

Unfortunately I live in the UK, or otherwise I'd be looking at Spotlight Displays as a solution.

Desk

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:19:37 AM by Desk »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
Your poster is a standard size and already-made frames that are moderately priced and that are made just for that size one sheet are available at art or craft stores. Many come with an acid free foam core backing board already, too.

Just curious: Why would you want to do a hinged mount for this poster?

And if you dont want the poster pressed (or laying) right up against the plexi, then pick up small spacers (also available at any art or frame shop that sells pre-made frames)  that are placed between the poster and the plexi edge.

(Unless, of course, you are feeling you want to make and build a home made frame from scratch). ;)

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
Framing yourself is a great option

I tried to, but my face against the glass wasn't comfortable, and Mrs. 110x75 didn't want to look at that crap all day...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 01:23:51 PM »
I tried to, but my face against the glass wasn't comfortable, and Mrs. 110x75 didn't want to look at that crap all day...

laugh1
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »
Your poster is a standard size and already-made frames that are moderately priced and that are made just for that size one sheet are available at art or craft stores. Many come with an acid free foam core backing board already, too.
Is that likely to be the case in the UK, too, Jeff? I've been in quite a few art stores but have never come across frames to that size that weren't just frameless pieces of glass clipped to a backing board,

If any UK brethren are able to point me to stores that sell frames to that size (or a little bit bigger so as to allow room to expand), that would be much appreciated.

Desk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 03:10:16 PM »
Is that likely to be the case in the UK, too, Jeff? I've been in quite a few art stores but have never come across frames to that size that weren't just frameless pieces of glass clipped to a backing board,

If any UK brethren are able to point me to stores that sell frames to that size (or a little bit bigger so as to allow room to expand), that would be much appreciated.

Desk

Hi Desk,

I just thought there might be similar art supply stores that carried pre-made frames, there in the UK, too.

Over here, stores like Michael's, Pat Catan's etc, all carry moderately priced pre-made frames with sizes up to 27x40 poster size.

-Jeff

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 05:50:15 AM »
Desk,

I'm based in the Uk and i use https://www.sign-holders.co.uk.
Not sure if they do all the UV protection stuff so you'll need to check.
I swap mine around every few months and they are away from sunlight.

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 10:22:23 AM »
You've prob seen my posting on buying custom frames but if you haven't you can get them made to whatever spec you want from >
https://www.eframe.co.uk

The measurements I used are>1042X689mm for 27x41 sized posters, no UV protection but I bought some tinted sun protection film from Amazon to put on my window where I display them>
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005GOSVP6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=AKIJB3HJ906CF&psc=1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 02:35:24 PM »

I'd buy it - guaranteed to be "investment quality"!
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 02:48:00 PM »
Getting brittler and yellowed with time. I'd say its investment quality like Haggard's stuff
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 05:55:14 AM »
You've prob seen my posting on buying custom frames but if you haven't you can get them made to whatever spec you want from >
https://www.eframe.co.uk

The measurements I used are>1042X689mm for 27x41 sized posters, no UV protection but I bought some tinted sun protection film from Amazon to put on my window where I display them>
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005GOSVP6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=AKIJB3HJ906CF&psc=1

Many thanks for this. I've now looked into this Eframe firm, and it looks pretty good.

With those dimensions you use, is there still space in the frame for the poster to expand and contract or is it pretty snug? Is there a decent 'overhang' by the frame to allow this without exposing the backing board? If 1042X689mm are your dimensions for 27x41 posters, then do you have dimensions for 27x40?

Is the poster being sandwiched between the Clarity+ glazing and backing board, and is it safe for it to be in contact with the plexiglas like that? With the poster filling the whole of the frame, I can't figure out how spacers could be used to create a gap without them touching the poster.

Are you sending your poster to Eframe to be framed, or inserting it yourself once delivered. If the latter, how easy is the frame to seal up?

How good is the Clarity+ glazing? I think I saw you post that you'd had experienced where a sheet had broken. Do they do different thicknesses?

Apologies for all the questions, but this firm looks like it might be a good option, so thank you again!

Desk
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:23:29 AM by Desk »

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 02:52:47 PM »
Desk,

I'm based in the Uk and i use https://www.sign-holders.co.uk.
Not sure if they do all the UV protection stuff so you'll need to check.
I swap mine around every few months and they are away from sunlight.

Marc
Thanks, Marc - I've seen these snap frames before, and there's a good deal at Snapframeswarehouse at just £28.

I just wonder how substantial they are? The plexiglas looks *very* thin, I'm not sure what the backing surface is, and the way the edges clip down onto that thin plexiglas makes me fear for the poster. However, you've had no issues?

I wonder if you could buy your own thicker plexiglas, but wonder if that might screw up the locking mechanism if the edges no longer move so far.

I just don't know how I see it as a permanent framing solution - because once my posters are framed, I plan to keep them that way.

Desk

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »
@Desk,

"With those dimensions you use, is there still space in the frame for the poster to expand and contract or is it pretty snug? Is there a decent 'overhang' by the frame to allow this without exposing the backing board? If 1042X689mm are your dimensions for 27x41 posters, then do you have dimensions for 27x40?"

It's pretty snug in there without damaging the poster you could make the size bigger by a couple of mm if you were worried, but you have to be careful as the frame is pretty slim and if you go too much you will be able to see the edges of the backing board. Same width 27" 689mm but the hight would be 40" 1010mm, you can also pay an insurance with eframe should your measurments be out

"Is the poster being sandwiched between the Clarity+ glazing and backing board, and is it safe for it to be in contact with the plexiglas like that? With the poster filling the whole of the frame, I can't figure out how spacers could be used to create a gap without them touching the poster."

Clarity is good as it er transparent  ;) it has a hardboard back and a non-acidic white backing board then the plexiglass front, Eframe no longer offer the white backing board though from what I can see on their site. Yes the plexiglass makes contact with the poster as most poster frames will do and no it doesn't damage the poster. The frame/board/plexi is held together from the back with spring clips that press the board/poster/plexi together.

"Are you sending your poster to Eframe to be framed, or inserting it yourself once delivered. If the latter, how easy is the frame to seal up?"

No you just order whatever size of frame you require and they send it to you, Pretty easy to seal up the poster,  I change mine every few months or so.

"I think I saw you post that you'd had experienced where a sheet had broken. Do they do different thicknesses?"

I guess the plexi is about 2mm thick and no they don't do different thicknesses, it broke because I didn't have enough room to pull the plexi out cleanly and instead of moving some stuff out the way i bowed the plexi and it snapped at the end  eyeroll.

Good luck with whatever you decide  thumbsup.gif

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:10:09 PM by gargoyle67 »

Offline Desk

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »
Thanks again for all the information, everyone.

I think I'm going to give eFrame a try, if only because another poster needing framed requires a mount in order to look right.

While I assess the Star Trek poster, I'll look tackle my Big Wednesday poster, which is on thicker stock paper and measures 30" by 40".

There's too much white space at the sides and it's slightly asymmetrical, so a mount will help balance it out. The question now is a white mount or black (which I reckon would necessitate a double mount to protect the poster, with a white conservation mount in contact with poster as the black mount isn't conservation friendly). Any thoughts...?

I really like the way that eFrame allow you to customise your order exactly the way you want and preview it like this. Seems like a good firm.

Desk
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:43:39 PM by Desk »