Author Topic: How not to package  (Read 10770 times)

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
How not to package
« on: March 15, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
Don't ship an 86-year-old brittle lobby card in a bubble mailer with no support.

Yes, I got a refund, but it's gone forever.

Heartbroken.
- Eric

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: How not to package
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 04:38:28 PM »
Infuriating.

Mark

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 05:17:34 PM »
Sorry to see that, and for something you were looking forward to, now destroyed. Maddening and sad to see at the same time.  moron1 :'(

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:40:06 PM »
Good lord! Choke...

Okie

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:43:29 PM »
Man that sucks - I just don't understand people sometimes (most of the time actually)
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 08:32:42 AM »
Not to be an arse but had the seller listed loads of movie memorabilia?  Ie. do they have lots of posters and lobbies for sale...  I never take any chances and there's a certain onus to be placed I think on the buyer.  Three example from the past 2 years
1- I've told the story here of an antiques store in northeast US who sells on ebay and has the occasional poster for sale. She actually folded my rolled WW1 poster as she thought it was the right thing to do, you know, like you would fold a pair of pants before shipping them. 
2- I got a bunch of posters locally from near Montreal and the dude had hundreds of posters and when he showed up to my place posters and non-posters were thrown together in box, the posters were fine, but the guy was clueless.  I can only imagine if the local delivery option hadn't been available it would have been a fucking disaster. 
3- I drove about an hour+ to an auction house out of town, after I won a poster via phone-in bid.  The auctioneer had been dragging his feet and it had been several months and he still had not shipped it. When I picked it up, it was in a flimsy carboard tube, with kleenex stuffed in both sides (no caps) and a piece of clear scotch tape over the ends...  it was the poorest packing job I had ever witnessed.  Had I not finally picked it up, it would have been destroyed for sure.

Never take chances! Sorry for your loss though... at least the weather in Sumter must be nice ;D

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 05:03:09 PM »
Thats horrible sorry for the bad shipping.   I once had a lenticular poster shipped to me from overseas and it only had a few cereal and biscuit boxes taped to it. And those didnt even cover the poster so it cracked of course.

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
Not to be an arse but had the seller listed loads of movie memorabilia?  Ie. do they have lots of posters and lobbies for sale...  I never take any chances and there's a certain onus to be placed I think on the buyer.  Three example from the past 2 years
1- I've told the story here of an antiques store in northeast US who sells on ebay and has the occasional poster for sale. She actually folded my rolled WW1 poster as she thought it was the right thing to do, you know, like you would fold a pair of pants before shipping them. 
2- I got a bunch of posters locally from near Montreal and the dude had hundreds of posters and when he showed up to my place posters and non-posters were thrown together in box, the posters were fine, but the guy was clueless.  I can only imagine if the local delivery option hadn't been available it would have been a fucking disaster. 
3- I drove about an hour+ to an auction house out of town, after I won a poster via phone-in bid.  The auctioneer had been dragging his feet and it had been several months and he still had not shipped it. When I picked it up, it was in a flimsy carboard tube, with kleenex stuffed in both sides (no caps) and a piece of clear scotch tape over the ends...  it was the poorest packing job I had ever witnessed.  Had I not finally picked it up, it would have been destroyed for sure.

Never take chances! Sorry for your loss though... at least the weather in Sumter must be nice ;D

No they aren't poster dealers, but it was listed as somewhat fragile, so I figured there would be some attempt at protection. I have ordered from this auction house before and never had any issues. Lesson learned, but it really does make me sick that it is lost.
- Eric

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 05:57:54 PM »
No they aren't poster dealers, but it was listed as somewhat fragile, so I figured there would be some attempt at protection. I have ordered from this auction house before and never had any issues. Lesson learned, but it really does make me sick that it is lost.

You bought that LC from an AUCTION house, and they didnt have the sense to package something they could see as fragile and more brittle better than that?

Who is this auction house? If they pack this way, with something this fragile, it makes me wonder how poorly they might pack things, in general. A drop of common sense should have told anyone packaging that card that it should have been placed between some sturdy cardboard first.

Sheesh!   hitself

-Jeff

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »
Not to be an arse but had the seller listed loads of movie memorabilia?  Ie. do they have lots of posters and lobbies for sale...  I never take any chances and there's a certain onus to be placed I think on the buyer.

I don’t agree - it’s all on the seller.

Also, I’ve tried telling new/inexperienced eBay sellers a few times how to pack. They invariably get offended and angry... and still, more often than not, ship in a way that guarantees the item will be destroyed. Just use PayPal refunds and look for another copy.

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 10:12:47 PM »
You bought that LC from an AUCTION house, and they didnt have the sense to package something they could see as fragile and more brittle better than that?

Who is this auction house? If they pack this way, with something this fragile, it makes me wonder how poorly they might pack things, in general. A drop of common sense should have told anyone packaging that card that it should have been placed between some sturdy cardboard first.

Sheesh!   hitself

I would rather not say what auction because I think it must have been a fluke.
- Eric

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 10:31:05 PM »
I would rather not say what auction because I think it must have been a fluke.

Really!?

Had the card been a Jaws 4 example, fine.  But for something so clearly of note...

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 11:36:09 AM »
Yeah, I'm upset about it, but they don't deal in paper much so I'm guessing whoever packaged it had no idea what it was. Tragic yes, but I'm not going to dwell on it. Now what do I do with it? I hate to just toss it because I've never even seen another one, but it's probably not worth restoring. Maybe frame it as is and let it be a conversation piece.  thumbsup.gif
- Eric

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 02:51:01 AM »
It's amazing how clueless and careless people can be sometimes. 

I was also wondering whether these were poster people... I guess not. 

What's worse is when poster people mess things up.  I had an Italian poster dealer (eBay, sold loads of fotobustes), who allegedly couldn't get any tubes in his small, remote village (so he says), and he couldn't be bothered to get one.  So he took my 20-some-odd ROLLED fotobustes, and folded them multiple times to cram them into a little envelope.  I remember when they arrived, I was like, "Huh.  Wonder what that could be.  I didn't order anything that small."  I suspected he just hates Americans, because how can you do that to someone if you're a poster dealer?? 

iojabba, glad you got a refund.  There was a time when eBay didn't bend over backwards to protect the buyer, and some people got away with murder back in the day!  Those were the days when feedback could not be retracted, if I recall correctly.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 11:14:49 AM »

What's worse is when poster people mess things up.  I had an Italian poster dealer (eBay, sold loads of fotobustes), who allegedly couldn't get any tubes in his small, remote village (so he says), and he couldn't be bothered to get one.  So he took my 20-some-odd ROLLED fotobustes, and folded them multiple times to cram them into a little envelope.  I remember when they arrived, I was like, "Huh.  Wonder what that could be.  I didn't order anything that small."  I suspected he just hates Americans, because how can you do that to someone if you're a poster dealer?? 

iojabba, glad you got a refund.  There was a time when eBay didn't bend over backwards to protect the buyer, and some people got away with murder back in the day!  Those were the days when feedback could not be retracted, if I recall correctly.

Not likely.

LAZY and not caring how he packaged those bustas is likely the right and only reason. ;)

And is that seller a dealer? Or just some individual who happens to have sold a lot of items? Quantities sold does NOT make one a dealer automatically.

-Jeff

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »
Not likely.

LAZY and not caring how he packaged those bustas is likely the right and only reason. ;)

Fair enough.  It's hard sometimes not to conflate laziness (or gross negligence?) with deliberate malice when you have no clue what the other person was thinking, especially when they end up hurting my posters!  Hah.

And is that seller a dealer? Or just some individual who happens to have sold a lot of items? Quantities sold does NOT make one a dealer automatically.

Good question - I hadn't thought of that.  Depends how you define a dealer, but in checking the guy's feedback, he had been selling a lot of posters exclusively for some time (as far back as the feedback shows the corresponding item - three months at least - although it was an older account, and I couldn't see what items the older feedback was for).  So I assumed it was a dealer.  Would be interested in definitions, though. 

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 11:23:57 AM »

Thanks, it wasn't an eBay auction and they had no issue giving a refund when I sent the pictures. I shouldn't have assumed that they would package it properly since they don't generally deal in posters. I have gotten one or two from them before that arrived fine so I figured I was safe.
- Eric