Author Topic: Tob's Posters  (Read 13188 times)

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
Tob's Posters
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
I don't know if this site has been referenced yet; I did search on APF but nothing concrete came up.
Either way, http://filmposteraddict.com is a great site.

Maybe the person who runs it is a member here as he/she does link to APF in their links section.

If you are out there... awesome site!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Film Poster Addict website
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 11:30:46 AM »
That's my site :) Thanks for the kind words! Out of interest, how did you stumble upon it? I don't know much about websites or the internet, but decided to build a site as a quick reference for my collection and have quite enjoyed it...cataloging and organising everything is quite cathartic, although it has taken a long time. Apologies for the dreadful photos too!

I have a backlog of about 150 posters to add to it that I'm working through at the moment (including about 40 various Star Wars posters), then I have to go through and try and fix some of the many errors I keep noticing!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
Awesome site, Tob.

Your photos all look fantastic and what I also love is how when you hover your cursor over the poster image, all of the info about the film, poster size, director appear as that second layer, then disappear when you move on to the next poster.

As well as one click on each poster giving the viewer a super size image.

You say you dont know much about website building...I would NEVER have guessed that, from looking at yours.... not in the least.

GREAT job!!!  thumbsup.gif clap clap clap

What site software /layout did you use to create your site?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:48:46 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 11:55:07 AM »
Thanks Jeff! I appreciate the nice words.

My website skills are poor! I hired a developer from India using the Freelancer website - he did all the legwork! I wanted the gallery to look specifically as it does, mainly because I liked to see the various designs for a film and how prints v original posters can look when grouped together, but this caused a lot of work for him as most of the plug-in galleries available appear to justify images vertically instead of horizontally so he had to do some customization. Then I was conscious about how many images to have on a page and the quality of those images due to the time it might take to load a page. I think he did a good job though and the search works pretty quickly too (although I haven't figured out how to do multiple search terms!). The admin interface is basic enough that I can add/edit images in the gallery easily enough.

PS - the site is built on a Wordpress template, but the gallery is a custom plug in.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:59:31 AM by Tob »

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 12:23:04 PM »
Hey Tob, I was just browsing some Alien posters on Google and one them linked to your site.  Lucky me!
You sure have a ton of Japanese posters; do you live or have you lived in Japan?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 12:25:14 PM »
You're welcome, Tob!

Its a great design and layout.

Have only so many images on a page, then going to the next page is a great way to do it, vs having one long continuous scroll downward, like some templates are set up to do.

Plus the white background and color font you used for the title make it inviting and friendly. AND all of the images load very fast, too.

Your guy and you did a great job in its design, layout and, as I said, your photos are sharp, well lit and in focus, which, as we all know is KEY!   :D

-Jeff

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »
Thanks Jeff! I think my photos are pretty grotty though...the good ones you see are probably where EMP have sent me their nice image file as I won an auction from them! I'm glad you like the layout and that the images are loading well for you too...I'm happy with the developer's work.

Hey Tob, I was just browsing some Alien posters on Google and one them linked to your site.  Lucky me!
You sure have a ton of Japanese posters; do you live or have you lived in Japan?

I keep meaning to update the information for that Giger exhibition poster to make it clear it's not a poster for Alien (despite having an Xeno on it).

I have visited Japan, but have never lived there. I live in the UK. I've just always liked the design/style of Japanese posters from when I first started collecting posters, so over time seem to have accumulated a lot of them. I think my collection is roughly split into 25% quads, 25% one sheets, 25% Japanese posters, 15% prints and 10% posters from other countries.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »
Call me jaded, but not a lot impresses me these days.  One thing that does, though, is someone who puts time and effort into a hobby, any hobby, in order to promote it and make it grow.  Your website does that, and I applaud it.  Very nicely done.  Plus, I know from talking to you that you're one of the good guys, so there is that.

thumbsup.gif

T
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:23:06 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 03:08:51 PM »
I love it! I'm wondering if there is a thread or pinned post with links to members online galleries? I'm familiar with T's at ttps://moviepostersgallery.com/ but are there others?
- Eric

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 03:59:34 PM »
Well done H77.  It's cool seeing your very nice, recent acquisitions here, but it's awesome to see such a great collection on a site like that.  Keep up the good work.  cool1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 04:36:54 PM »
I love it! I'm wondering if there is a thread or pinned post with links to members online galleries? I'm familiar with T's at ttps://moviepostersgallery.com/ but are there others?

There's this thread here...from way back in 2012, with some members' site links:

(may need to be updated, tho, as far as the list that was posted in 2012)

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,5283.0.html

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »
Nice to see, Tob! I searched for Jaws, and even got to see the Amity Island map!  Okie

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
Thanks guys! Okie, that map print in the shape of Bruce is one of my faves...it makes me smile.

Call me jaded, but not a lot impresses me these days.  One thing that does, though, is someone who puts time and effort into a hobby, any hobby, in order to promote it and make it grow.  Your website does that, and I applaud it.  Very nicely done.  Plus, I know from talking to you that you're one of the good guys, so there is that.

thumbsup.gif

T

Thanks T, that means a lot. Collectors like you (and many other members here) have always inspired me. I’ve learnt so much from being a member here and had my eyes open to all manner of amazing posters over the years. Damaging for the wallet, but good for the soul :)

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »
Excellent collection & website Tob thumbsup.gif. Pretty sure I stumbled across it last year whilst trawling the net on a rainy Sunday but never realised it was yours. Some wonderful posters & still another 150 to go! Keep up the good work notworthy.gif

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 03:03:28 PM »
Great work Tob. Looked at the first 20 pages so far and a lot of posters I haven't seen before.

Mark

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 08:46:43 AM »
Thanks guys! Glad you can find an new/interesting poster or two on there.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »
Great collection and great site!

The only problem is there are TOO MANY POSTERS! I am still stuck at the beginning of the alphabet...  ;D

What if you had a feature where we press a button and get to see 20 random posters from the collection? I could imagine pressing refresh on that all day!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »
Thanks rumble!!  :)

Hehe, yeah, I found it tricky to find the compromise between having enough images on a page that it loads quickly, but not giving someone a sore finger having to click to the next page so much as only a few images loaded at once. That's a nice idea about the random poster generator, I like that.

Another way is to just use the search to break it down a bit...so for example, by format (e.g. Quad or Japanese B1), by director, by actor, by film year or by film decade ('197' should bring up posters for films from the 1970s for example). I tried to add more tags, but I think 'Horror', 'James Bond', 'Disney', 'Marvel', 'Studio Ghibli', 'Superhero' and 'Animation' might be the only ones where I was consistent and didn't miss too many entries! 

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 12:21:12 PM »
Great collection, great site and a very nice guy too. Looking forward to more uploads!

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »
I just come across your site Tob as I have been out of the country since March so not really been checking the site much, but saw the thread when doing a catch session tonight.

Great site - exactly what I need to mine. I have been wanting to do a site for my collection which is continually growing but I never have the time. Never thought of hiring someone in India to do it. Is that a cheap pay of doing things. Would be interested to know how that works.

Some really great posters (not looked through all yet as it takes time). Interested to know about a couple of posters that I haven't seen the versions of before. 

What country is the AMELIE  36 x 24 landscape poster from?

And the one that your site opens on uk Apocalypse Now - what country is it from on. - I seen it is a screen print - who's the artist?

Well done on a fab site.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 11:45:27 AM »
I just come across your site Tob as I have been out of the country since March so not really been checking the site much, but saw the thread when doing a catch session tonight.

Great site - exactly what I need to mine. I have been wanting to do a site for my collection which is continually growing but I never have the time. Never thought of hiring someone in India to do it. Is that a cheap pay of doing things. Would be interested to know how that works.

Some really great posters (not looked through all yet as it takes time). Interested to know about a couple of posters that I haven't seen the versions of before. 

What country is the AMELIE  36 x 24 landscape poster from?

And the one that your site opens on uk Apocalypse Now - what country is it from on. - I seen it is a screen print - who's the artist?

Well done on a fab site.

Thanks John! I appreciate your nice words. It used to be that if you tapped on an image, it would pull up some information on the poster, but that seems to be broken on mobile devices (it just opens the bigger image). If you roll over the thumbnails on desktop, it should give you info. 

The 36 x 24" landscape poster for Amelie is a print by Ise Ananphada:
https://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/216181

The Apocalypse Now on the home page is 2-sheet poster from Thailand with art by Tongdee Panumas.

Hiring a developer from India can be cheaper than using a Western based one, but when you hire someone I guess it can be a slightly tricky process if you have specific functionality in mind (making sure your requirements are good at the start, the testing and feedback loop etc). There are some good DIY web building websites that might be worth a try - they have a nice user interface that mean you can drag and drop elements to build, so you don't need to be technical or know anything about coding. Lots of features are free too, so I think it'd be a good and cheap way to get going. Give one of them a try!

https://www.weebly.com
http://squarespace.com

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »
Will have a look them. I just use Pinterest at the moment but would be nice to have my own site like you though I guess it will be a very big job !!

You still collecting lots then? What’s your main types these days. Still collecting quads and screen prints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 11:28:21 AM »
Fab site Tob. Just had a great look through it.

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 08:19:46 AM »
Fab site Tob. Just had a great look through it.

Marc

Thanks Marc!

I'm really behind in photographing new arrivals, but hoping to add a bunch of stuff in the near future.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Tob's Posters
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 07:26:24 PM »
I've moved this thread to 'Show Us Your Collection!' and will make a post when I add new stuff (which is very infrequently!).

I just added around 100 new posters to my site. If you go to the 'Gallery' page and search for the term 'Feb20' it should pull up the new ones. The site seems to work better on a desktop browser (as you can hover the cursor over the poster thumbnail to see some information on each one), for some reason the info doesn't show when browsing on a mobile device. Anyway, thanks for having a look!

http://www.filmposteraddict.com/new-arrivals/
http://www.filmposteraddict.com/gallery/

« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 06:16:00 AM by Tob »