Author Topic: Tob's Posters  (Read 13680 times)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
Re: Tob's Posters
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 06:14:39 AM »
I've moved this thread to 'Show Us Your Collection!' and will make a post when I add new stuff (which is very infrequently!).

I just added around 100 new posters to my site. If you go to the 'Gallery' page and search for the term 'Feb20' it should pull up the new ones. The site seems to work better on a desktop browser (as you can hover the cursor over the poster thumbnail to see some information on each one), for some reason the info doesn't show when browsing on a mobile device. Anyway, thanks for having a look!

http://filmposteraddict.com/new-acquisitions/
http://filmposteraddict.com/gallery/

Hey! Tob,

Just had a quick browse through your Feb 20 additions, some really cool posters 8)

You certainly seem to love your Jap posters, tons on your site notworthy.gif

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »
Hi John! Thanks for taking a look! Yes, I am partial to Japanese posters. I think I got hooked on them early into collecting because the designs were always so different to the UK/US posters I was used to seeing. I like to collect multiple posters for a title, so find it interesting to compare the designs/art between UK v US v Japan v Thai v Alternative Prints etc.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 11:38:24 AM »
Hi John! Thanks for taking a look! Yes, I am partial to Japanese posters. I think I got hooked on them early into collecting because the designs were always so different to the UK/US posters I was used to seeing. I like to collect multiple posters for a title, so find it interesting to compare the designs/art between UK v US v Japan v Thai v Alternative Prints etc.

Only need to look at your website to see many classic films have some really cool art on the Jap versions, I've always liked the look of many of them, only reason I've not got into them myself is I'm not really that up on them in terms of knowledge so would not be to sure of what I was buying.

Currently I only have a single Jap poster in my collection which is for Licence To Kill :-[ I like the film a lot so happy to have the poster but it's a very basic poster in terms of the artwork compared to some of the fantastic ones on your website thumbsup.gif

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 11:45:32 AM »
I've moved this thread to 'Show Us Your Collection!' and will make a post when I add new stuff (which is very infrequently!).

I just added around 100 new posters to my site. If you go to the 'Gallery' page and search for the term 'Feb20' it should pull up the new ones. The site seems to work better on a desktop browser (as you can hover the cursor over the poster thumbnail to see some information on each one), for some reason the info doesn't show when browsing on a mobile device. Anyway, thanks for having a look!

Some great posters there mate. jealous of those Paul Mann posters. Been trying to get them but too much. Are you in the commission for all his Bond Collection or did you pay after market prices.

Great site..

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 01:40:06 PM »
Great selection as usual. I really enjoy the variety in your collection but I'm also drawn to the JP posters. I think because the artwork is different and the challenge to be had in finding them is fun, I always enjoy seeing them. Another reason I like your JP Goonies poster is because it's a Video poster. I've always had a soft spot for Video posters and I know how hard it can be to find them, especially Japanese ones.  notworthy.gif

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »
Yowza! Super stuff. Why didn't you have it in this section before? I do recall your Thai APOCALYPSE NOW poster getting some discussion a long while back. (Or somebody's copy...) Great stuff. Thank you for (finally) sharing in the collection page.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »
And what is your secret for such awesome, auction-quality photos of your stuff?

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2020, 04:38:11 PM »
Fantastic stuff  Tob!!
Love the Donnie Darko. One of my favourite films & a great soundtrack to boot!
& the Japanese set for the Incredibles are great. Must find a set of them - would look great framed going up the stairs & onto the landing.
Never know you may have a bit more time to photograph a few more whilst working from home thumbsup.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 06:52:52 PM »
I think I've said it before, but this one heck of a good looking site.  Congrats Tob!  I'll spend more time checking it out as soon as I can.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2020, 10:28:07 AM »
No wonder I cant get B1's anymore, Tob buys them all!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 12:45:08 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to have a look and leave a message, guys!

Never know you may have a bit more time to photograph a few more whilst working from home thumbsup.gif

I hope so! So far, I've been too knackered after juggling work and kids that by the time the kids are in bed, I just want to veg on the sofa.

Some great posters there mate. jealous of those Paul Mann posters. Been trying to get them but too much. Are you in the commission for all his Bond Collection or did you pay after market prices.

Thanks John. I was lucky to get into the group from the start. His art is a nice match for the films, they're a nice set.

And what is your secret for such awesome, auction-quality photos of your stuff?

The nice photos are the ones I win from emovieposter I think! They email me the photos over when I win an auction. The rest I take myself, but I think they're rubbish! My method is I use a white board and some of those strong, little magnets to hold the poster down. I think take a photo, then adjust it in Lightroom (to straighten and crop it and then to fix the white balance). The lighting is poor in the room where I take them and I usually shrink the image so the pages on the website load quicker, so they're not the sharpest photos unfortunately.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2020, 08:34:17 PM »
Just spent two hours going thru this collection.  Pretty amazing stuff.  So many B1s!  I love it when people take time to actually put their collection online.  It's a lot of work.  Bravo!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2020, 03:39:53 AM »
Lovely website and some great posters.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2023, 11:37:03 AM »
A couple of years ago, the little website I built got hacked and ruined, so I had to delete it and have spent the last few months slowly re-building it. The tricky part was the gallery - the old site had a nice, custom gallery that a developer built for me, which was really fast and was searchable. Unfortunately, I lost contact with him so I had to use an off the shelf gallery plug in and rebuild it manually, which is what took so long (entering metadata for all the posters). The new gallery displays nicely, but it's slow to load...I don't think there's much I can do to improve that unfortunately, so apologies in advance if you decide to browse. I also can't figure out how to get the search working correctly, so for now, I have added tags instead.

Anyway, now that the site is working, I can start going through all the posters/prints that I have collected from the last 2 or 3 years, to take photos and add them. First batch of ~100 can be seen here...mainly prints in this update and nothing too exciting. If you're on a computer, you can hover over the thumbnails for information.

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2023, 12:04:16 PM »
Really nice selection of posters Tob. There's quite a few that I'm very envious of! Your photos look really good too, what kind of set up do use?

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2023, 12:46:25 PM »
Thanks Skyjackers! My photo quality seems to vary wildly...sometimes it's nice and clear, sometimes it's awful! I bought a large whiteboard and some of those small, strong magnets to secure the poster - I used to use a DSLR to take snaps, but now I just use my phone, it seems to do a better job. I stand over the whiteboard (which is flat on the floor) and take the photo. I then straighten and crop the images, then adjust the white balance as I have no special lighting and it's usually to warm/yellow with the lighting in my room.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2023, 05:34:19 PM »
What a fantastic, fantastic collection!  I just went through it all and I'm astonished.  I flagged posters that I need to get and got 125, which is a lot.  I usually don't see much I want in other collections.  Congrats, Tob.  Especially the B1s section.  I wish I had your connection.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2023, 06:59:16 PM »
Awesome job Tob!  Really interesting to browse through;  the red Birdman and Challenge in the Snow B1s really caught my eye.  And you have the pink 2001 re-release! I had a chance at one years ago and was too tardy.  Still kicking myself.  Is that Breakfast at Tiffany's a re-release?  First time for me to see that one.
Nice work  thumbsup.gif!!

Offline falconApoda

• Beginner
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2023, 01:43:36 AM »
Amazing collection.... brovo.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2023, 05:26:14 AM »
What a fantastic, fantastic collection!  I just went through it all and I'm astonished.  I flagged posters that I need to get and got 125, which is a lot.  I usually don't see much I want in other collections.  Congrats, Tob.  Especially the B1s section.  I wish I had your connection.

T

Thanks for taking the time to look, T. I appreciate the kind words. I wish I still had connections in Japan...long gone unfortunately. The last few years, I mainly acquire from hunting around auction sites. Seems to be getting harder though, lots of dealers, I keep getting outbid and then seeing stuff listed for huge money elsewhere. Frustrating! But all part of the hobby I suppose.

Awesome job Tob!  Really interesting to browse through;  the red Birdman and Challenge in the Snow B1s really caught my eye.  And you have the pink 2001 re-release! I had a chance at one years ago and was too tardy.  Still kicking myself.  Is that Breakfast at Tiffany's a re-release?  First time for me to see that one.
Nice work  thumbsup.gif!!

Thanks a lot, bud! I've always liked that design for Challenge in the Snow/Grenoble, it really captures the feeling of speed so well. I got lucky with the timing on that 2001, bought it quite a few years ago when it was pretty cheap. Yes, that Breakfast at Tiffanies is a re-release...I'm not sure of the year? I have only seen it pop up a couple of times, I've always liked that image of Hepburn

Amazing collection.... brovo.

Thank you. There's a lot of cheap, common posters in my collection, but I like them all for one reason or another :)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2023, 12:57:57 PM »
Very cool collection, Tob.  Great alternate style artwork on a lot of the Japanese stuff, prints, etc., and a lot of great stuff I hadn't seen before, like the Spring Breakers bus shelters.  cool1

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2023, 09:13:24 PM »
Thank you Tob for posting a link to your site.  I'm usually not into movie posters after the 1970s, but I was very impressed by the quality and uniqueness of your collection.  You have some really cool and striking stuff, congrats!

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2023, 09:05:36 AM »
Great collection Tob - I particularly liked looking at the alternative Japanese artwork. I'm always full of admiration for collectors who have gone through the effort of creating a website for their posters.

Mark

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2023, 09:59:04 AM »

Tob

Have you changed your site address as I cannot get either of the links to work.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2023, 11:14:43 AM »
Neo, Mark, Antoine - thanks for taking the time to look and for your kind words. I do like to collect different designs for the same film, the alternative art interest me (perhaps why I like prints so much).

Tob

Have you changed your site address as I cannot get either of the links to work.

Hi John, yeah, I had to update the site due to the hack - try this link for the new ones I added:
http://www.filmposteraddict.com/gallery/?envira-tag=jan23