Author Topic: Teens & Posters in 2019  (Read 10484 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Teens & Posters in 2019
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:19:51 AM »
A good, in depth article about teens in 2019, where they can buy posters to decorate their rooms these days, and a looking back of the practice.  thumbsup.gif

From vox.com:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/4/22/18485878/poster-industry-analog-renaissance-teen-bedroom-decor

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
Re: Teens & Posters in 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 09:16:51 PM »
Oh, my God! What a great article! Eons ago when I had a store I used to have a lot of that stuff! Farrah, Elvis Costello, Duran Duran, the Fab Four of course, Grateful Dead, The Clash, and so many more I've forgotten. The article is spot on in that the early 80's were a fabulous time to buy posters. So many companies with incredible selections. It's sad to hear that posters for new groups have become so hard to get but it's true that you can't cruise over to Spencer Gifts and check out the new PiL posters anymore.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 09:30:41 PM »
Interesting article, Jeff, especially considering posters were so readily had in the 1970s.  My kids like the free mini-posters movie theatres give away these days. Our most recent mini-poster is for SHAZAM up in my youngest daughter's room along with a one sheet for When Marnie Was There. My oldest daughter at college has several Studio Ghibli movie mini-posters (Princess Mononoke etc.) and Klimt's The Kiss poster.  Target, my daughter tells me, is a place to get some mass produced posters these days.  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 11:01:41 PM »
It's a little weird to think that whoever ends up on my kids ' walls, the subject of their affection or admiration, is not even 10 yet.  Right now, and for the past 3 years, it's all Star Wars and Frozen.  Go Disney!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 10:38:12 PM »
It's a little weird to think that whoever ends up on my kids ' walls, the subject of their affection or admiration, is not even 10 yet.  Right now, and for the past 3 years, it's all Star Wars and Frozen.  Go Disney!

T

Yeah, T, never trust those pre-10 year olds.  You never know what they'll become!  Then again, Star Wars and Disney posters look like they'll diaper many of us on both ends of this life, eh?  Okie

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:46:58 PM »
My four year old daughter has a Wizard of Oz lobby card on her wall.

She has no appreciation of the age of the movie or of the card, she just loves the movie and songs and likes having the image on her wall.

Actually Dumbo is probably the movie my kids have watched most frequently, not least because it's only 60 minutes.

But they do like several newer movies like Coco, Moana, Frozen, etc

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 07:10:35 PM »
My four year old daughter has a Wizard of Oz lobby card on her wall.

She has no appreciation of the age of the movie or of the card, she just loves the movie and songs and likes having the image on her wall.

Actually Dumbo is probably the movie my kids have watched most frequently, not least because it's only 60 minutes.

But they do like several newer movies like Coco, Moana, Frozen, etc

Hey Deke!  Wow, very cool for your little one to have a The Wizard of Oz LC on her wall!  What a great choice.  Do they still show The Wizard of Oz on network TV every year? I remember growing up it was quite the anticipated annual event.  Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 07:57:11 PM »
it was interesting reading about how todays set designers are not using posters because they don't want to go through the 'rights hassles' eyeroll (surely the director can have input here ???)
i definitely remember watching Lady Bird and thinking 'where are the posters'

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
it was interesting reading about how todays set designers are not using posters because they don't want to go through the 'rights hassles' eyeroll (surely the director can have input here ???)
i definitely remember watching Lady Bird and thinking 'where are the posters'

I just sent a Spring Breakers poster off to HBO: at least some shows care about having originals.

“Hi, got the poster! Looks amazing! Thank you so much. Show is called EUPHORIA - Not sure which set it will be in yet, our other decorator actually worked on Spring Breakers, Adam Willis, so it's a little easter egg for him. Show is out in June on HBO, check it out! Thanks again!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 11:16:33 PM »
I just sent a Spring Breakers poster off to HBO: at least some shows care about having originals.

“Hi, got the poster! Looks amazing! Thank you so much. Show is called EUPHORIA - Not sure which set it will be in yet, our other decorator actually worked on Spring Breakers, Adam Willis, so it's a little easter egg for him. Show is out in June on HBO, check it out! Thanks again!

LOVE IT. 

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 02:22:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  What a great read that ties the historical and cultural significance of "bedroom culture" to the rise in social media.  Being very interested in youth culture, for years I've noted the rise in the unusual trend of blank bedroom walls among post-millennial youth.  What a dummy I was for not connecting the dots... they are posting on their social media walls, which is why their bedroom walls are empty (perhaps among other reasons). 

This article also provides solid evidence that women can love posters just as much as men ;)