Author Topic: March 2019  (Read 14728 times)

Offline redman

• Collector
Re: March 2019
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 06:46:49 PM »
My local MP Gerald (was) - well pity he hadn't signed them!! :)
no, i am glad he didn't sign them. i wonder if he tried to claim for these on expenses ;) (check google)
no offense intended - lifelong labour here ;D

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 06:52:11 PM »
A recent purchase, this large French poster for Whatever Happened to Baby Jane with art by the great Jean Mascii.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 03:20:29 AM »
These 3 chirashis were included with another poster that actually arrived in January. But I was dealing with some other issues and posters took a back seat for a while, when I was back East.

The first, for Buster Keaton's THE NAVIGATOR (1924) and Harold Lloyd's SAFETY LAST (1923) held at Cinema Jack & Betty in Yokohama, Japan.

For the film MEG (2018):

And for DRAGON BALL SUPER: BROLY (2018)

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 10:42:03 PM »
I like Buster's hat on his diving suit, Jeff!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 10:50:39 PM »
A recent purchase, this large French poster for Whatever Happened to Baby Jane with art by the great Jean Mascii.

Mascii is awesome.  So good.  I can't figure out what the little add-on is at the bottom right, but the poster would be so much better without it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 11:03:59 PM »

The first, for Buster Keaton's THE NAVIGATOR (1924) and Harold Lloyd's SAFETY LAST (1923) held at Cinema Jack & Betty in Yokohama, Japan.

That looks like a cool event, silent films with a live pianist. :)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 01:13:55 AM »
Thierry,

The "little add-on" at the bottom right is actually the only visual element that Mascii lifted from the US one-sheet: it's a broken doll head.  It does seem a bit out of place in relation to the rest of the image, but I think it reads better in person.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »
The smashed and cracked doll head is such an iconic image from the US poster campaign that it only makes sense that Mascii would have included it on his French poster. And with it turned the way it is, it doesnt detract too much from Crawford's face, since hers is right above it.

A beautiful poster for sure. And having Davis peering from behind a curtain is another added plus!  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 03:06:37 PM »
Indiana Jones AMC Rerelease (teaser?) from 2012.

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 01:39:17 PM »
Happy to have finally nabbed this great poster. Very cool movie and what a cast...Oliver Reed, Karen Black, Bette Davis, Burgess Meredith. Scared the shit out of me as a kid. Dan Curtis was a great TV and film director. This is the movie Amityville Horror aspired to be.

BURNT OFFERINGS Thai Movie Poster

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:20 PM »
If you must see only one British black magic zombie biker gang film, let this be it!   ;D

PSYCHOMANIA Thai Movie Poster

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 03:14:47 PM »
Indiana Jones AMC Rerelease (teaser?) from 2012.

Not a teaser.  Just an AMC poster given to patrons on opening night.  The official 2012 poster is the IMAX version, DS, both one sheet and bus.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 04:55:21 PM »
If you must see only one British black magic zombie biker gang film, let this be it!   ;D

Wow! Amazing art!!

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2019, 05:51:28 PM »
Not posted any for a while. Rereleases are a little thin on the ground at the moment in the Uk Quad scene but have got a handful to show recently acquired.

This first one came out last year but not been able to find it so pleased to get it recently. An old fave film of mine.

This next one came out a few years back in very limited quantity for limited release in the UK Cinemas, there were also some limited edition screen prints made, but this one is the original RR quad, with art by La Boca.

And these next three recent new rereleases in the UK.

Yes, same art work as original for the 40th anniversary (can't believe it's that long) so nothing amazing but nice to have a copy of this. From Park Circus off course.

Rerelease quad for Stanley Kubrick's Dr Strangelove

And for the 75th Anniversary of D-Day, Park Circus released The Great Escape - in cinemas for one day only in the UK. so annoying that I was out of the country so didn't get to see it on the big screen. Gutted!!

Finally, picked the Quad for the Swedish film The Border - amazing film from the writer of the Let The Right One In. See if you haven't already. One weirdo pic if you into this type of film. Not for everyone's taste.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:54:14 PM by poster art »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 09:10:53 PM »

I didn't see this one in Thailand, MWright, or I would have certainly grabbed it!  Very cool.  Looks like some theatre information stamped in the bottom border, eh?  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 09:16:46 PM »
Hey Poster Art!  Great classic image of McQueen jumping the fence.  Is the story true that he did really jump the fence off-screen to prove he could do it?  Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2019, 07:54:54 AM »
There were no motorcycle jumps in the true story.  I believe McQueen was a motorbike nut and so wanted it in the movie.

Who says no to McQueen.

Also, for fact fans, in the film they escaped out of the tunnel that in reality, had been found by the Germans. 

Harry, the tunnel under the stove, was in reality used for the escape.  In the film, this tunnel was found after the cup of coffee was spilt.
Dick, the tunnel in the shower, was in reality abandoned.  In the film, they used this tunnel.

Also, no American took part in the actual escape as they'd all been shifted to other camps prior to the night of the escape.  They did however take part in the digging.

Cracking poster.  Can't believe you found one from a one-day only showing.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
Very nice Dr. Strangelove. Haven't seen that one before. In fact nice group all round.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
Nice set of new quad pickups, there, poster art! clap clap

-Jeff

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
These 3 chirashis were included with another poster that actually arrived in January. But I was dealing with some other issues and posters took a back seat for a while, when I was back East.

Really like that 'Navigator' one and 'The Meg' is a fun image too. What was the poster they came with?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »
Really like that 'Navigator' one and 'The Meg' is a fun image too. What was the poster they came with?

Hey Matt... I will snap a pic and upload it shortly. It's a French 1P size, so I need a little room to lay it out.

-Jeff

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2019, 01:47:06 PM »
re the great escape, it really boils my piss how the bonehead rightwing e-n-g-e-r-l-a-n-d supporters and their shite band use the theme music - less than half of the 50 that were executed were uk, rest were poles, aussies, canadians + others

nice quads thumbup

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2019, 08:00:35 PM »
Excellent GREAT ESCAPE quad! Congrats!

As per the motorcycle jump, McQueen desperately wanted to do it but director John Sturges nixed it, since McQueen was the star and if he got hurt, it would cause delays and cost the production money. Sturges enlisted Steve's good friend and fellow motorcycle nut Bud Elkins to do the jump. McQueen hated the idea but went along with it.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »
Is is just me or does this one have a retro Peter Strausfeld vibe to it?  Kudos to the artist if it was intentional.

This first one came out last year but not been able to find it so pleased to get it recently. An old fave film of mine.

For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2019, 10:28:42 AM »
Is is just me or does this one have a retro Peter Strausfeld vibe to it?  Kudos to the artist if it was intentional.

Strausfeld could only dream of doing typography like that ;D