Author Topic: Unopened Packages  (Read 10142 times)

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
Unopened Packages
« on: February 28, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »
I noticed in another thread (by hepcatpunk) that in the process of clearing out his collection he had come across unopened packages of posters.

Speaking as someone who normally can't wait to prise open the package in my sweaty mitts as soon as possible - or maybe at most holding back for a day to defer the anticipation - this is not something that is likely to affect me (although I just double checked the pile of empty tubes in a storage room in the hope that it might have).

Anyone else ever come across unopened packages or even forgot what they might possibly contain?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Unopened Packages
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »
Absolutely not even close to being in the same vicinity as ever.

No.

And anyway, my collection is all inventoried.  I know exactly what I have and, more importantly, what I am missing.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »
I came across a few unopened the other day all from the 2013-2014 time period and from all 3 regulars (Rich, Heritage, and Bruce).
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
I get stuff every day.  Since I don't sell, empty packages and tubes go straight to the trash and posters are filed away within a week of receiving them.  I don't want to see mailing tubes or even know they exist.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 11:28:13 AM »
I had a package the other week that I found and it was a blade runner original quad..
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 01:44:37 PM »
I haven't forgotten any unopened packages, but I have a 3 sheet in a large unopened tube that has been leaning against my TV for 4 months
I keep looking at the tube, so I know it's there, I just don't feel like looking for a razor

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 05:17:26 PM »
Interesting responses all. I guess if you receive a lot of mail daily or run a business generating packages in and out then it would be quite easy to push something to one side or for it to get to the bottom of a pile of other stuff.

I suppose in those circumstances it would also be quite easy to throw out an unopened package with the opened, discarded tubes and boxes by mistake - now that would be a nightmare.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 09:24:11 PM »
I hate to admit it, though I do have a couple of posters I haven't opened after a few months.  I don't know why!  Okie

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 12:39:59 AM »
I haven't forgotten any unopened packages, but I have a 3 sheet in a large unopened tube that has been leaning against my TV for 4 months
I keep looking at the tube, so I know it's there, I just don't feel like looking for a razor

It sounds linenbacked, is it a goodie?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 03:37:46 AM »
It sounds linenbacked, is it a goodie?

scarlet street

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 07:18:52 PM »
scarlet street

3 sht for Scarlet Street 1945!!!  Classification = GOODIE!!!

Looking forward to a picture of you standing next to that Goodie, Richie G. Robinson!

Okie

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 08:43:56 PM »
3 sht for Scarlet Street 1945!!!  Classification = GOODIE!!!

Looking forward to a picture of you standing next to that Goodie, Richie G. Robinson!

Okie

it will be a while. I really only have 2 places for 3 sheets and the Murder My Sweet is in the rotation spot.
waiting for rotation are Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, Blue Dahlia, the Killing, Las Vegas Nights, Paths of Glory, Brasher Doubloon, Falcon Takes Over and about 100 others

-------

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »
I noticed in another thread (by hepcatpunk) that in the process of clearing out his collection he had come across unopened packages of posters.
Speaking as someone who normally can't wait to prise open the package in my sweaty mitts as soon as possible - or maybe at most holding back for a day to defer the anticipation - this is not something that is likely to affect me (although I just double checked the pile of empty tubes in a storage room in the hope that it might have).
Anyone else ever come across unopened packages or even forgot what they might possibly contain?
I'm with Marty.  I've even called in sick at work knowing my posters would be arriving that day (for real).  If I do end up going to work, I have my wife text me the minute she gets home before me to confirm the package is safely in the house ... then, its a matter of "how fast can daddy wolf down his dinner" before he is off to open his poster package in the man cave.   bed1

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 04:56:53 AM »
I'm with Marty.  I've even called in sick at work knowing my posters would be arriving that day (for real).  If I do end up going to work, I have my wife text me the minute she gets home before me to confirm the package is safely in the house ... then, its a matter of "how fast can daddy wolf down his dinner" before he is off to open his poster package in the man cave.   bed1

No wonder they say collecting can be akin to an illness! When you called in what did you say you were suffering from - Posteritis? One Sheet Syndrome?

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 03:54:37 PM »
I still have 3-4 very large, unopened boxes of posters bought from a Profiles in History auction in 2008. its probably around 500-700 posters and I have no idea what they are. I just don't have the space or set up at the moment to open, lay out, photograph and sort into keep/sell/bulk sell piles. I probably need to move on this *sigh*
Chris S.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 04:21:42 PM »
I still have 3-4 very large, unopened boxes of posters bought from a Profiles in History auction in 2008. its probably around 500-700 posters and I have no idea what they are. I just don't have the space or set up at the moment to open, lay out, photograph and sort into keep/sell/bulk sell piles. I probably need to move on this *sigh*

So it sounds like this was a huge bulk buy of lesser titles? Did you buy these 500-700 posters in one lot?

-Jeff

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 05:44:06 PM »
So it sounds like this was a huge bulk buy of lesser titles? Did you buy these 500-700 posters in one lot?

2 bulk lots, one of 600+ posters and one of 400+. Mostly titles from the 80's- 2008, but I've found lots of interesting stuff as well as the large amount of lesser titles. A roll of autographed posters and autographed stage play window cards(no proof of authenticity), what seems to be an original Star Wars (no telltale bootleg signs, but who knows), a The French Line insert and a paper banner for Easy Rider are the "big" finds so far.
Chris S.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »
2 bulk lots, one of 600+ posters and one of 400+. Mostly titles from the 80's- 2008, but I've found lots of interesting stuff as well as the large amount of lesser titles. A roll of autographed posters and autographed stage play window cards(no proof of authenticity), what seems to be an original Star Wars (no telltale bootleg signs, but who knows), a The French Line insert and a paper banner for Easy Rider are the "big" finds so far.

Cool.... it's like hunting for possible, hidden treasure. Good luck with more big finds!!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 03:56:05 PM »
Cool.... it's like hunting for possible, hidden treasure. Good luck with more big finds!!  thumbsup.gif

I just want to see everything I bought 11 years ago! LOL I've gotta figure out the space issue
Chris S.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 05:12:39 PM »
I just want to see everything I bought 11 years ago! LOL I've gotta figure out the space issue

Do them in groups.

Since they are OS size, unroll and place on top of each other as you view them... That would only require a tabletop with a 27x40 inch work/view space. ;)

Then re-roll the ones you have viewed and do the next batch.

-Jeff

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
Do them in groups.

Since they are OS size, unroll and place on top of each other as you view them... That would only require a tabletop with a 27x40 inch work/view space. ;)

Then re-roll the ones you have viewed and do the next batch.
Its not that easy.  Especially a large roll full of posters that has been rolled for years.  Its difficult and requires more than 1 person for sure, otherwise you will damage and ding the corners and edges. Plus combining rolled batches of posters together back a a sinle tube is a nightmare.  My best advice for our friend from New York would be, take them out with the help of at least one other person, find a safe/flat area to unrolled and cover the posters with weight, for a good month at least before you do anything.  Then you can manage them for the photoshoot etc. and sort them.   thumbsup.gif

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 06:52:47 PM »
I get stuff every day.  Since I don't sell, empty packages and tubes go straight to the trash and posters are filed away within a week of receiving them.  I don't want to see mailing tubes or even know they exist.

T

FREAK!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 03:57:45 AM »
Longest I've ever gone without opening a package is a few weeks.  It can happen when life gets really crazy/busy.  And then you use that unopened package as a reward to get you through whatever you have to do that week.  Really good way to delay the gratification for those of us that get a dopamine hit from unboxing movie memorabilia.  Admittedly, you have to be very trusting of the seller in order to pull this off comfortably.  Then again... the mounting anxiety of not knowing whether your poster made it in good shape coupled with the anticipation of possessing the unopened goods could take you to new heights.  OK, I'll quit before this gets marked NSFW.

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »
 ;D