Author Topic: THIS PLACE IS MORIBUND  (Read 23257 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
THIS PLACE IS MORIBUND
« on: February 22, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »
I'm putting this in this topic string, because, well, I own the place (with T) and I get to.

What do we need here to bring this place back to life?  What's working, what's not working, and what do we add to shift to a new space.

All comments welcome.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:07:34 PM by holiday »
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: THIS PLACE IS MORIBUND
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 06:21:06 PM »
I'm putting this in this topic string, because, well, I own the place (with T) and I get to.

What do we need here to bring this place back to life?  What's working, what's not working, and what do we add to shift to a new space.

All comments welcome.

you move it to Facebook

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:46:58 PM »
We need people like Mel back who drew in people to read and comment his many many posts, all sorts of topics. Was quite addictive the forum and he was around along time making heaps of threads, many were misses but many were well commented on.

The arguing was often addictive to follow but that has largely been stamped out.

I also don't post much because I no longer buy and have other interests, but still read. But yes, there's not much to respond to.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 09:33:37 PM »
We need people like Mel back who drew in people to read and comment his many many posts, all sorts of topics. Was quite addictive the forum and he was around along time making heaps of threads, many were misses but many were well commented on.

The arguing was often addictive to follow but that has largely been stamped out.

I also don't post much because I no longer buy and have other interests, but still read. But yes, there's not much to respond to.

Big Thumb UP!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 09:53:05 PM »
I like it here, Holiday!  Yeah, I wish there was more poster discussion to complement the handful that regularly post.  Mel was a lot of fun and odd, and aren't we all at least a bit.  Personally, I'm not on Facebook (sorry, Richie) and don't intend to be.  One of the things that attracted me to APF was the independence and not being tied to another questionable platform (although, what you forum owners do with our bedroom data can happily stay a mystery to me!). This is my only social media presence.  I would love to see more members comment, though I think my posts may be too much about older paper.  I really like commenting on the newer cool paper some members collect that open my eyes to newer goodies.  Okie

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 10:45:33 PM »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 10:58:10 PM »
Only one  laugh1 thumbsup.gif

Why not? 

Btw, super drunk right now, so don’t hold it against me.  Watching 5 kids.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 11:19:01 PM »
Why not? 

Btw, super drunk right now, so don’t hold it against me.  Watching 5 kids.

T

Ok one thumb is good.

I wonder, maybe there isn't as many quality posters around to buy on the auction sites as there used to be and hence the reason not as much stuff being shown here? Posters like mine maybe get locked up and not sold again

Maybe not much being bought, me as an example I don't feel confident with income like I did 10 years ago to splash money around, I've tightened up a lot.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 12:07:32 AM »
I wonder, maybe there isn't as many quality posters around to buy on the auction sites as there used to be and hence the reason not as much stuff being shown here?

one reason. another is that you can only talk about & respond to the same issues so many times

but the biggest issue is that forums of this nature are old technology. There isn't really direct communication (and if there were, this 2 minute posting limit is very irritating). Facebook beats this format in every way, other than how the site is set up in an orderly fashion & Facebook is not

also, on Facebook, whether you have a webspace to store images is moot
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:00:47 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 12:38:38 AM »
I want to quit my job and get rid of my kids and thus have more time to post intelligent posts such as this one  :'(

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 08:31:55 AM »
one reason. another is that you can only talk about & respond to the same issues so many times

but the biggest issue is that forums of this nature are old technology. There isn't really direct communication (and if there were, this 2 minute posting limit is very irritating). Facebook beats this format in every way, other than how the site is set up in an orderly fashion & Facebook is not

also, on Facebook, whether you have a webspace to store images is moot

The wait time between posts from any one person wanting to post again is 10 seconds, not 2 min.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
I think this is much better than Facebook. I like the archival nature where things can be dragged up from 10 years ago. But of course it needs people who give it some time and start threads. Still, there is more action here than on NSFGE or Movieposterforum!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 11:32:51 AM »
I think this is much better than Facebook. I like the archival nature where things can be dragged up from 10 years ago. But of course it needs people who give it some time and start threads. Still, there is more action here than on NSFGE or Movieposterforum!

I'm with you on this, rumble.

Ive looked (and do belong) to a number of the FB movie poster pages. Scrolling down one long page to look at posts dealing with everything from poster info, mixed in with FS items is not nearly as organized (by the nature of FB), as a forum like this layout and software offers. So, while there is a place for FB movie poster pages, I prefer this layout better.

And as new blood/members join (and we've had a steady number join, with a few new members in the last couple of days), they will add to the various discussions.

And as rumble said.. being able to go back and look at various threads from 7-9 years ago, with info, is awesome, too, imho.

-Jeff

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 12:09:23 PM »
Allowing people to register automatically would help, I wonder how many people miss the sticky thread about sending an email? Surely the software protects against bots these days?

Maybe an advert in the LAMP newsletter might help?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 12:28:25 PM »
Allowing people to register automatically would help, I wonder how many people miss the sticky thread about sending an email? Surely the software protects against bots these days?

Maybe an advert in the LAMP newsletter might help?

The 2 threads that have been "stickied" for years (let alone Holiday titling the boards in CAPITAL LETTERS) should make them easy to spot. And the one board fort all to see is also at the very top of the main forum page, so if these boards are being overlooked, then maybe specs are needed by the "overlookers."  ;D

There is also an APF FB page, ( https://www.facebook.com/all.posterforum ), and we could do more there, too.  thumbsup.gif

I can look too (or inquire from SMF) to see if there have been software improvements to screen out and block auto bot registrations, too.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 01:15:09 PM »
The 2 threads that have been "stickied" for years (let alone Holiday titling the boards in CAPITAL LETTERS) should make them easy to spot. And the one board fort all to see is also at the very top of the main forum page, so if these boards are being overlooked, then maybe specs are needed by the "overlookers."  ;D

There is also an APF FB page, ( https://www.facebook.com/all.posterforum ), and we could do more there, too.  thumbsup.gif

I can look too (or inquire from SMF) to see if there have been software improvements to screen out and block auto bot registrations, too.

Also, Jeff just hit 20,001 (An APF Odyssey) posts himself!  Wow!  Congratulations, Jeff! It looks like Jeff is the first person in APF history to hit that number and become the forum's first Star Child?! Okie
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:45:03 PM by okiehawker »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »
The wait time between posts from any one person wanting to post again is 10 seconds, not 2 min.  ;)

did you change that recently. I was having to wait 150 seconds, but I haven't checked in a couple weeks

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 01:50:04 PM »
okay, I guess you've changed that

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 02:50:13 PM »
did you change that recently. I was having to wait 150 seconds, but I haven't checked in a couple weeks

It's been back to the original, 10 sec time frame for a while now.   :D

-Jeff

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »

Actually, I just checked that again, and it is not a page, it is a "person" on Facebook. Meaning that you have to "friend" Allpostersforum, giving whoever owns it access to all your FB information as you would a real person. I am happy to like pages and join groups, but I don't friend people I don't know, and I certainly don't friend "persons" that do not even exist and can be controlled by multiple persons that I don't know!

Why not create a regular Facebook page to promote APF? It only take a minute.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:08:35 PM by rumble »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 03:23:05 PM »
Actually, I just checked that again, and it is not a page, it is a "person" on Facebook. Meaning that you have to "friend" Allpostersforum, giving whoever owns it access to all your FB information as you would a real person. I am happy to like pages and join groups, but I don't friend people I don't know, and I certainly don't friend "persons" that do not even exist and can be controlled by multiple persons that I don't know!

Why not create a regular Facebook page to promote APF? It only take a minute.

T created the APF FB page: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2813.0.html

Best to ask him, I would guess.

-Jeff

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 04:48:30 PM »
i use the View the most recent posts on the forum all the time and would definitely prefer it if the dealers adverts did not feed into this. does nobody find all their adverts annoying?! keep them in their own section please

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 07:30:35 PM »
i use the View the most recent posts on the forum all the time and would definitely prefer it if the dealers adverts did not feed into this. does nobody find all their adverts annoying?! keep them in their own section please

Dealers ONLY ever advertise in the Dealer's F/S board. This rule has been in place for many years, and is followed by all. Before that,some dealers were posting all over the forum.

That is why the dealer posting rules, as well as Holiday's thread, which he placed in 2013, as a "reminder" to dealers, was posted AND pinned  thumbsup.gif

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,7060.0.html

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 08:14:59 PM »
There's also no boob pictures anymore! I don't think there was ever a problem posting but the tone of the forum has changed. (I'm talking like since a few years ago and older). It toned down, then off, when the women joined like mirosa, but there's no women now? The forum is more sanitised.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 08:45:00 PM »
All that is needed is a good old fashioned controversy - so cue up Haggard Jr or another Profiles to heavily advertise an 'altered' Dracula one sheet  >:D
Chris