Author Topic: January 2019  (Read 20436 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: January 2019
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »
Skyjackers - I saw the artist post the following on Facebook: “They are a new method of printing that we found, litho can’t go that big. Closest comparison would be giclee... but they have more of an old school cinema poster sheen.”

He said the paper is thicker than standard quad poster paper.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 03:15:46 PM »
Thanks for the info Tob. I'd be happy if they were exactly the same as the ones issued to Cinemas, but maybe these will be a nicer quality that print collectors might prefer.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 08:04:59 PM »
Reminds me of another here who collects re-releases and Park Circus...

Very interesting.  Thanks.

Yes it's my mate Mike. We have very similar tastes and look out for each other when picking things up. Mike has got me some great posters too over the last year.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 08:11:21 PM »
Nice selection of Quads. I have the Beetlejuice and was slightly disappointed with the quality of the poster. There are obviously some really well designed rerelease posters but they put 0 effort in on this one.

Good info regrading the Carpenter quads. I was looking for a full set but have not seen Prince of Darkness or They Live! available. I wonder if these posters will be exactly the same as the Quads issued to Cinemas in terms of image and paper stock? From the images on the site they seem to have a different credit block to the Cinema Quads and I don't know how the paper compares. Nice set to have though and should make the quadruple bill even more collectable.

Apparently they are on much thicker paper. They didn't say the name of the printing method, Matt said they have found a new form of printing as litho's wouldn't be big enough. It's supposed to be very beautiuful crisp colours. Likened to Giclée printing but with a really nice sheen similar to original quads. I think I have seen a number of quads that are probably produced on this method - particularly the ones by the smaller independent distributors here in the UK (if it this or very similar I am sure they will be really great). From what I can see the only difference seems to be they miss the coming soon to UK Cinemas block of text that are on the official UK Quads.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 08:21:46 PM »
Thanks for the info Tob. I'd be happy if they were exactly the same as the ones issued to Cinemas, but maybe these will be a nicer quality that print collectors might prefer.

I think you are right. Especially the collectors that collect screenprints, art prints. and Matt's fans I think will prefer these on the thicker paper, The paper of the original quads is quite think and easily damaged.

I have not seen They Live or The Print quads either. We showed the films at the cinema I work on and we only got ESCAPE and the FOG quads. No one has seen the others that I know - I'm beginning to think those two were never printed.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 11:39:34 PM »
Here's a couple more recent quads I got recently (not my usual rereleases but general release).

UK Quad for Clint Eastwood's latest film The Mule

UK Quad for the documentary Free Solo

UK Quad for the Korean pop band music concert movie Burn The Stage.

UK Quad release for Elvis  TV 68 Documentary  rereleased in cinemas in 2018

UK Quad for The King -  about Elvis (2018)

UK Quad for the popular story of Freddy Mercury and Quad, Bohemian Rhapsody

UK Quad for the 2018 remake of the Argento classic Suspiria

Lars Von Trier's The House That Jack Built UK Quad release poster (2018)

Uk Quad for the Peter Jackson film They Shall Not Grow Old

UK Quad for the new Godzilla 11 film - Kino of the Monsters.

UK Quad poster for Cold War (2018)

Pickep up this original Quad for classic a few weeks ago. Nice one to add to m collection

And finally another classic UK Quad that I recent picked up for Jim Jarmushch's film Night on Earth

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:43:07 PM by poster art »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 09:42:52 PM »
Yeeeaaaaa, Poster Art!  Gojira!!!   Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 08:31:03 PM »
Some nice posters so far this month.  A good start of the year for some.   thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 01:22:26 AM »

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 01:23:45 AM »

Chris

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 04:13:48 AM »
My word!  Lovely.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 08:53:19 AM »
BORN TO KILL is a killer looking poster, Chris.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »
Thanks guys!
Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 08:32:01 PM »
Thanks guys!

Hi Chris,  You just proved that an Australian daybill can have nice art with your 3rd Voice poster!  Also, I strongly agree with Simes and Jeff on Born to Kill: two resounding "hot dogs" are my vote!  Margaret Vyner's eyes are incredible on Bombs Over London!  Do you know if her eyes where that intense in real life?  Okie

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2019, 12:29:14 PM »
Hi Chris,  You just proved that an Australian daybill can have nice art with your 3rd Voice poster!  Also, I strongly agree with Simes and Jeff on Born to Kill: two resounding "hot dogs" are my vote!  Margaret Vyner's eyes are incredible on Bombs Over London!  Do you know if her eyes where that intense in real life?  Okie

Thanks Okie!   Well I don't know about real life but her eyes were certainly striking when photographed:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:30:48 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »
Thanks Okie!   Well I don't know about real life but her eyes were certainly striking when photographed:

Thanks for posting the photos of Margaret Vyner, Chris.  Goodness gravy, Ms. Vyner was stunningly photogenic!  Have you seen many of her films?  Any recommendations for her films (e.g. Bombs Over London?)?  My best, Okie
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:52:24 PM by okiehawker »

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 03:47:24 AM »
If you like the Carpenter movie posters you should know that artist Matt Ferguson in collaboration with Studio Canal  are doing a timed release for these posters from today for 7 days. The edition number will be however many sell in the 7 days as they realise there'a a big demand for these. I'm gonna buy the set for £150 ($180) or you can buy individually for £50 ($60) as they will be signed and numbered edition. Pity they are not doing them as screen prints though.

All four will posters will be released via the https://vice-press.com/ website as well as at https://greymatterart.com/ Grey Matter Art, starting at 5pm GMT  / 12pm EST / 9am PST

Thanks for the info on the MF posters  thumbsup.gif

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 08:46:10 AM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 12:22:21 PM »
Nice THE GANG BUSTER lc.... Great colors, too.

-Jeff

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 01:23:33 PM »
 thumbup. i got it from HA in november but it only arrived this week ;D (they are probably not used to customers wanting USPS instead of fedex haha) in fact they gave me free shipping so i have no complaints. there were 2 other lobbies in the lot which i might sell/trade but i've not decided yet

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »
thumbup. i got it from HA in november but it only arrived this week ;D (they are probably not used to customers wanting USPS instead of fedex haha) in fact they gave me free shipping so i have no complaints. there were 2 other lobbies in the lot which i might sell/trade but i've not decided yet
Hard to beat a good Jean Arthur movie and it's accompanying movie paper, Redman!  Congratulations!  Okie

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2019, 09:52:33 PM »
I finally got the Vertigo rerelease quad - been after it for a while since its release but rarely comes up on ebay or anywhere else for less than 150. I managed to snag one last week, Cons - seller put it in a shit paper thin tube and it got damaged. Not bad but enough to piss me off.

Lines of pressure marks through it like this and 6 inchs of edge damage.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:55:17 PM by poster art »

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 08:21:51 AM »
...seller put it in a shit paper thin tube and it got damaged. Not bad but enough to piss me off.

That is always infuriating - this has happened to me on two recent occasions including one which came from a prominent member of this forum who should have known better.

Mark

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 08:41:02 AM »
I finally got the Vertigo rerelease quad - been after it for a while since its release but rarely comes up on ebay or anywhere else for less than 150. I managed to snag one last week, Cons - seller put it in a shit paper thin tube and it got damaged. Not bad but enough to piss me off.

Sorry to see this, too, poster art.

And this kind of edge "crinkling" is hard to get rid of totally, just using the Weight & Wait Method. A warm iron, applied gently (and set to a low setting), should be able to help here, though glossy paper has a good "memory," too:

-Jeff

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »
this happened to my poster due to a clown packer from japan recently moron1