Author Topic: Ava Gardner  (Read 5060 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Ava Gardner
« on: December 23, 2018, 08:47:17 PM »
Remembering Ava Gardner, who was a Christmas Eve baby, born on December 24, 1922.  I can't remember the first time I saw her on film, though I bet it was on a late movie after the weekend news back in the day.  It's hard to top TCM's short bio for her:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/68501%7C17013/Ava-Gardner/biography.html
I feel very fortunate to have had the high bid on this one sheet size personality poster of the stunning Ms. Gardner. This poster was another surprise win at EMP at a great price, I think.  Merry Christmas APF!   Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Ava Gardner
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 09:42:12 PM »
Really nice AG, there, Okie.  :)

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 12:53:54 AM »
Really nice AG, there, Okie.  :)

Thanks, Jeff!  At the beginning of 2018, I had no idea I would start down a collecting path of beautiful personality posters for some of my favorite stars.  In my 40+ years of collecting, this year had the most really nice personality posters I've seen in such a short period of time.  Many were in very nice condition as well.  What a pleasure it was to see so many and purchase a few.  Kudos to those who collected them before us!

Okie

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »
As a kid, I only knew Ava Gardner from the disaster movies of the 70s (EARTHQUAKE, CITY ON FIRE, and CASSANDRA CROSSING). I had no idea then that she had been a movie goddess in her day.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 06:09:35 PM »
When I visited Cuba in the early 1990's my "day and night" guide was an extraordinary character. Alejandro had been a very successful insurance salesman in Havana in the 1950's and had a playboy lifestyle then. I remember him telling me in incredible detail how after accidentally dating two gay men on consecutive nights Ava Gardner was desperate for a straight man and on the third night of her visit drunkenly flirted with him all evening. He was invited to go up to her hotel room fifteen minutes after she had left the bar. It was his greatest regret that in that short period his nerves got the better of him and, convincing himself that he wouldn't be able "to perform", he didn't show up.

Mark

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 07:59:41 PM »
As a kid, I only knew Ava Gardner from the disaster movies of the 70s (EARTHQUAKE, CITY ON FIRE, and CASSANDRA CROSSING). I had no idea then that she had been a movie goddess in her day.

Hi Monster!  Did you explore some of her older movies?  If not, I recommend going back to The Killers and work forward.  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:57:14 PM »
When I visited Cuba in the early 1990's my "day and night" guide was an extraordinary character. Alejandro had been a very successful insurance salesman in Havana in the 1950's and had a playboy lifestyle then. I remember him telling me in incredible detail how after accidentally dating two gay men on consecutive nights Ava Gardner was desperate for a straight man and on the third night of her visit drunkenly flirted with him all evening. He was invited to go up to her hotel room fifteen minutes after she had left the bar. It was his greatest regret that in that short period his nerves got the better of him and, convincing himself that he wouldn't be able "to perform", he didn't show up.

Mark

Hi Mark, My imagination says it sure would have been fun to have a drink or two with Ava Gardner!  Though, the guy in your story shouldn't have regrets for not taking advantage of a lady who had too much to drink. It was the right thing to do as a "grown man" as we say back home.  Okie

guest4531

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 01:22:21 AM »
Hi Mark, My imagination says it sure would have been fun to have a drink or two with Ava Gardner!  Though, the guy in your story shouldn't have regrets for not taking advantage of a lady who had too much to drink. It was the right thing to do as a "grown man" as we say back home.  Okie

Looks like Ava Gardner was found of drinking, flirting and sleeping with men (and may be woman :) ).

During the movie "Mogambo", Gable had to go back to Los Angeles to get his tooth fixed and when he came back in Nairobi, Gardner and her husband Sinatra organised a huge "pasta" party with the crew on site; subsequently, Sinatra was allowed to stay in Nairobi for the duration of the filming.   They had lot of arguments and relation were heated (witnesses at hotel are talking about nightmarish period).  Gardner slept with the Bunny Allen, who was an aristocrat-white hunter from the Karen Blixen period hired by Gable to go shoot elephants; also she was pregnant and felt not well under the Equatorial heat and had to go to UK to get hospitalised for anemia, although rumors talked about a miss-carriage; she admitted later on that she was pregnant from Sinatra and hated him so fun that she went to UK for an abortion.

She fits well in the profile of the sin precode white blonde :)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »
Sorry Boss, I've never been a fan of celebrity tabloid style gossip.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 11:51:27 PM »

Best left to rags like "The Enquirer," or "US Magazine."  :-X

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 02:41:00 AM »

Really??

Okie, just to clarify, there are real stories/facts from authoritative sources (local article about Bunny Allen's death; 1950's press articles; and Ava Gardner herself). Even the link you referred to in your initial post has long paragraph about this (see below).  You can see this as tabloid style gossip, no problem and no need, but there are not, there are biographical facts that many are aware of.  No need to say sorry, opinion of people talking faster than they can read is of no interest to me. My post was informative and bring facts to corroborate the trashy talks in this thread.

But wait, you are fine with a guy who heard another stranger - who used to fuck gays in Cuba - about how he banged Ava Gardner in a bar and actually "abused" of a drunk woman... and call my biographical facts as gossip. Dooh! Doh.gif  Ahahaha, you talk about "your imagination", for sure I can see it's all about imagination without much reading and clear lack of discernment indeed.

"Grown up sleeping with girls is the right thing to do at home" - Sorry, I never been a fan of pervert and abuser like talks.  Beautiful!!

"While she was at her career peak, Sinatra was considered a has-been in Hollywood circles, so when a role in the prestige project "From Here to Eternity" (1953) came up, Gardner helped her husband land it - specifically, the role of doomed soldier, Maggio, for which he would win an Oscar for Best Actor in a Supporting Role and set him on the path to legend. She became pregnant during their marriage, but the actress underwent an illegal abortion because she claimed they simply were not able or ready to take care of a child, later admitting she did it because she "hated Frankie so much" and wanted his "child to go unborn." To say the couple had a tempestuous union would be an extreme understatement. Sinatra's intense jealousy and mistrust of his wife, coupled with Gardner's substantial drinking habit, eventually lead to the actress' third failed marriage. At one point, Sinatra was so obsessed with his wife and wrecked over their fights that he would threaten to kill himself. Gardner would receive phone calls and a gun shot would go off mid-sentence or his cronies would find him with the gas on and his head in the oven. Whether these were serious attempts, no one knew for sure, but one thing was certain - Gardner had a hold of Sinatra like no woman ever had or would again. Despite the couple separating in 1957, they remained good friends for the rest of her life. In fact, Sinatra never stopped loving or obsessing over his ex-wife, even well into his later years."

guest4531

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 03:20:12 AM »
Best left to rags like "The Enquirer," or "US Magazine."  :-X

You lost me Erik, so you also think that my biographical facts - written for informative purpose and even may be to mitigate the useless trashy talks you are having - are gossip for rags. OK, I got you, you like people talking shit  thumbsup.gif

Let's go back to the interesting and pertinent topic of man hanging in bar and sleeping with gays and abusing of drunk woman; or even better, grownup men sleeping with girls which is indeed NOT "celebrity tabloid style gossip" but "lambda trashy pervert-style talk".   Anyone with an interesting story of girls being abused by man, admin, any interesting and news-worthy pedo and gay story stalking girls in bar?  I know, adding fuel to the fire (sorry for using a low standard expression typical of low-profile journalist... people with dick instead brain having fun talking dirty will prefer this more professional expression jargon "just adding cum to the hole").

Came back and have to deal with brainless grownups talking shit (here) and admin replying and deleting post (is another post).  Next time, I won't even bother to come back, I let you do you small dirty talk.    Erik, I will send you a PM so that you can delete all my post and my account; I know you will appreciate.  But for sure, if I ever visit your country or Okie's country, and go fuck a drunken girl in a bar, I will come back in this forum to share this story so that you can both congratulate yourselves on pertinent dirty and useless gossips.

SMH... sorry SMPH !!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 07:30:25 AM »
...you are fine with a guy who heard another stranger - who used to fuck gays in Cuba - about how he banged Ava Gardner in a bar and actually "abused" of a drunk woman.....

My little anecdote about Ava seeking to seduce my straight friend who was overcome with nerves has got slightly twisted in the re-telling. There was no sex, gay or otherwise, and who said anything about a drunk woman being abused?  My friend was an an absolute gentleman. For what it's worth BB I personally found nothing wrong with your initial post but don't really understand your subsequent reaction to the harmless and briefly-expressed opinions of two other members.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:36:55 AM by marklawd »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 07:44:45 AM »
I'm just going to come out and say it - I am bat boy.  Yes, that bat boy. I'm much taller now but still got those ears.  My wife thinks they are cute. God love her. We met through echolocation.  She's fine with my upside down sleeping habits but still cannot get past the amount of shit i leave on the floor.  Thanks for not judging guys.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 09:28:40 AM »
Not sure what is going on in this thread... let's Segway to what's important...

Ava, you have nice ears

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 06:51:49 PM »
I have No idea, Steve.  dontknow.gif

Obviously "guest4531" (aka TheBigBoss) didnt like the fact that anyone chose to reply to what many would construe as Enquirer or US Magazine fodder or stories. As his about post and PO'd sounding posts certainly indicates.

He asked to have his account removed. Per his request, it was.

People come, people go. 

Carry on.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 08:23:47 PM »
And, what started as simply a post of a beautiful personality poster of Ava Gardner...   I'm always surprised at how close to the surface anger lies.  My, oh, my.   Okie

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 09:27:51 PM »
And, what started as simply a post of a beautiful personality poster of Ava Gardner...   I'm always surprised at how close to the surface anger lies.  My, oh, my.   Okie

not sure why he continued with it.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 07:46:56 PM »
Remembering Ava Gardner, who was a Christmas Eve baby, born on December 24, 1922.  I can't remember the first time I saw her on film, though I bet it was on a late movie after the weekend news back in the day.  It's hard to top TCM's short bio for her:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/68501%7C17013/Ava-Gardner/biography.html
I feel very fortunate to have had the high bid on this one sheet size personality poster of the stunning Ms. Gardner. This poster was another surprise win at EMP at a great price, I think.  Merry Christmas APF!   Okie

All the bs aside...I love Me some Ava Gardner.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 08:50:36 PM »

Remembering Ava once again on this her Christmas Eve birthday!  Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah fellow APFers!  Okie