Author Topic: Signed 1993 Ultraverse Break-Thru Advert Poster, Malibu Comics  (Read 6813 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Signed 1993 Ultraverse Break-Thru Advert Poster, Malibu Comics
« on: November 22, 2018, 06:16:23 PM »
Wandered into the same small shop and came across this folded poster that was in with other stuff.

Turns out, it's an advert poster put out by the short lived Malibu Comics /Malibu Comics Ent., Inc. back in December 1993, for their Ultraverse comic, "Break-Thru." It's folded as issued and measures 18 x 24 inches.

On closer inspection, I saw that the poster had been signed twice. The sig in silver is Steve Gerber, who was a co-founder of Malibu Comics Ultraverse, but also was a writer, maybe best known for creating Howard the Duck and Man-Thing.

The other signature, in gold pen, is that of artist and colorist, George Perez, who did the art for this poster and the comic. So it was cool to learn who these 2 guys are/were (Gerber passed away in 2008).

Cool art, imo. Malibu Comics was not around long, as its own company. It was purchased in 1994 by Marvel Comics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malibu_Comics

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Signed 1993 Ultraverse Break-Thru Advert Poster, Malibu Comics
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 07:04:47 PM »
You are having some fun luck in your junk shop, Jeff!  There is quite the fanboy following for George Perez original artwork.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 07:10:59 PM »
You are having some fun luck in your junk shop, Jeff!  There is quite the fanboy following for George Perez original artwork.  Okie

And the thing is, Okie, that stuff is often just jammed in a tub or on a shelf, and items like this end up destroyed ripped or torn.

As one example.. there was a framed 1887 engraving in the same "tub." I saw it a few days ago, and it had been removed from the frame, and was now torn, and crinkled. All because people rifle thru and dont care, in places like this, when stuff is seen as merely "second hand." :(

I think Howard the Duck also ha a bit of a following too, doesnt it? I know the movie version didnt do all that well, George Lucas-produced or not.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:14:07 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »
And the thing is, Okie, that stuff is often just jammed in a tub or on a shelf, and items like this end up destroyed ripped or torn.

As one example.. there was a framed 1887 engraving in the same "tub." I saw it a few days ago, and it had been removed from the frame, and was now torn, and crinkled. All because people rifle thru and dont care, in places like this, when stuff is seen as merely "second hand." :(

Yes, the joy and the sorrow all in one tub!  Bad junk/antique shop care with paper collectibles hurts, oh it hurts!!!    Okie

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
Another great find.  This shop gets some great stuff, and worth some searching to find the treasures.   O0