Author Topic: There are now minty white Japanese repro posters entering the hobby  (Read 4742 times)

Offline descposter

• Hobbyist
    • eMoviePoster,com
Did you know that sadly there are now minty white Japanese repro posters entering the hobby?

Here at eMoviePoster.com Central, our hearts sank a couple of weeks ago when we received a consignment of Japanese billboard posters from famous Japanese rubbery monster movies, that LOOKED good on first inspection, but once we turned them over we could immediately tell they were modern fakes, for the paper they were printed on was NOT of the right vintage, and the backs of the posters were far "whiter" than vintage Japanese posters of the time these movies came out. On closer inspection, we could also see that the printing is not of the same sharpness and clarity of originals of that time.

We HOPED that these were all there were (perhaps someone was selling copies of these ultra rare Japanese billboard posters because the originals are beyond scarce, but those hopes were soon dashed when we received several other similar repros of other sizes of Japanese posters (see the list below).

There is no point running pictures of these, because they would look the same as originals (you need to see the backs, and look closely at the printing quality). These are the ones that we have either heard about or ones that we have been consigned:

Japanese billboard posters (3 B1s that go together):
Rebellion (Joi-uchi: Hairyo tsuma shimatsu also known as Samurai Rebellion)
King King VS Godzilla
Godzilla VS the Thing
Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster

Japanese STB Tatekan 2p:
Dr. No (R72)

Japanese B1:

Japanese B2:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (yellow Japanese title/white English title version)
Breakfast at Tiffany’s (both styles of original and R69 posters)
other "Audrey Hepburn films"

Unknown Japanese size:
You Only Live Twice
Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster
"Bruce Lee Titles"

This is of course eerily similar to the U.S. "minty white inserts that showed up in our hobby around 20 years ago, and have plagued the hobby ever since. They are sold as originals (to this day on eBay, which is a massive black mark against that company).

If you are not very familiar with the U.S. "minty white inserts (or never heard of them), you can read a long summary about how they entered the hobby in an archived message of our email club HERE: https://www.emovieposter.com/club/returnmessage.php?id=423 (you must be signed in to view it, but registration is free; go to https://auctions.emovieposter.com/Registration.taf to register).

You can also find much more about the U.S. "minty white inserts by reading other club messages that mention them, found HERE: https://www.emovieposter.com/club/archive.php?rows=40&simple=&keywords=minty+white (again, (you must be signed in to view them), but registration is free; go to https://auctions.emovieposter.com/Registration.taf to register).

IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT THAT EVERYONE SPREADS THE WORD QUICKLY ABOUT THESE NEWLY DISCOVERED JAPANESE MINTY WHITE REPROS, SO THAT VERY FEW PEOPLE ARE CHEATED BY THEM.

Please do all you can to spread the word about them, and if YOU have any information to add about them (especially about WHO is making them), please email us ASAP at "mail AT emovieposter DOT com".
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,500 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,775,000 to date from over 2,800 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: There are now minty white Japanese repro posters entering the hobby
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »
If only there were people who were knowledgeable about such things that you could ask...
But where would you find such people?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 04:23:19 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »
If only there were people who were knowledgeable about such things that you could ask...
But where would you find such people?

Assuming you have the time to type up some information, I'd love to know more please, Crowzilla.

I suspect my Texas Chainsaw Massacre B2 is a dodgy one, but need to pull it out of the flat file to have a proper look.

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »
I recently bought a Breakfast at Tiffany's 1969R from a seller on Yahoo Japan, "yukiko02060".  At first glance it seemed ok but when I compared it to my other copy, the text was not as sharp and the colors were flat and there were no signs of aging ... at all! 

But the thing that tipped me off was that the poster pictured in the auction had creases in the top left corner, the poster I received was immaculate.  So as soon as I saw that I pulled out my other copy to compare.

After 3 weeks and numerous emails, I was refunded my money.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 08:30:47 PM »
Any thing vintage from that seller (yukiko02060) should be assumed to be a reprint. They’ve also been fooling loads of folks with bootleg R72 Dr. No STBs as well. I’ll post some pics soon of the ones I’ve examined.

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 08:43:20 PM »
Any thing vintage from that seller (yukiko02060) should be assumed to be a reprint. They’ve also been fooling loads of folks with bootleg R72 Dr. No STBs as well. I’ll post some pics soon of the ones I’ve examined.

Did you ever purchase anything from that seller?

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 01:31:35 AM »
Ok, I will at least spill the beans about who is making these Japanese rubbery monster repros.
Turns out, they are licensed by the owner of Godzilla themselves - Toho company.

In not so secret news, two years ago Kodansha started a bi-weekly DVD box set series of Toho genre films.
Each release had a B2 poster reproduction for the featured film (sometimes even a B1), a copy of the original Japanese program, a reproduction speed poster for the next release in the series as well as several other pieces of ephemera.

Each release also included a proof of purchase sticker and if you gathered the first 51 proofs (they are currently on number 59 in the series) you could redeem them to get reproduction copies of a set of Japanese 3-sheets for: King Kong vs.Godzilla, Godzilla vs.Mothra (the Thing), and Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster.

And while all the reproductions are labeled as reproductions, I am sure that won't stop some Japanese sellers from offering them through American venues and saying that they saw these posters at the theater in Japan and must be authentic.

You can see the various box sets and what they include on Kodansha's website: https://kodanshaonlinestore.jp/group/6

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Kobayashi's classic Samurai Rebellion, there were similar poster reproductions made and authorized by Toho.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 02:48:12 AM »
Ok, I will at least spill the beans about who is making these Japanese rubbery monster repros.
Turns out, they are licensed by the owner of Godzilla themselves - Toho company.

In not so secret news, two years ago Kodansha started a bi-weekly DVD box set series of Toho genre films.
Each release had a B2 poster reproduction for the featured film (sometimes even a B1), a copy of the original Japanese program, a reproduction speed poster for the next release in the series as well as several other pieces of ephemera.

Each release also included a proof of purchase sticker and if you gathered the first 51 proofs (they are currently on number 59 in the series) you could redeem them to get reproduction copies of a set of Japanese 3-sheets for: King Kong vs.Godzilla, Godzilla vs.Mothra (the Thing), and Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster.

And while all the reproductions are labeled as reproductions, I am sure that won't stop some Japanese sellers from offering them through American venues and saying that they saw these posters at the theater in Japan and must be authentic.

You can see the various box sets and what they include on Kodansha's website: https://kodanshaonlinestore.jp/group/6

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Kobayashi's classic Samurai Rebellion, there were similar poster reproductions made and authorized by Toho.

you mean that these are all licensed reprints (at least for all the Toho stuff) and it helps when you 'ask the experts'?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »
I’ve seen some of the official reproductions you mentioned — but they almost always have fine print at the bottom stating when they were printed.

However, on the reproductions eMovie is talking about and the ones that I’ve seen in person (Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Texas chainsaw Massacre yellow style B2, Samurai Rebellion STB) they are clearly being printed to look identical to the originals.  The sellers are also intentionally being deceptive as they show photos of the back of the posters and do it in such a way that you can see a bit of bleed through from the ink.  This used to be a reliable method to identify modern reprints from original posters, but bootleggers have clearly caught on.

If you would like, I can mail you an original Samurai Rebellion STB and the bootleg STB for inspection in person. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 09:34:33 AM by Harry Caul »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »
I've been meaning to write up a blog post on this new crop of Japanese bootlegs and show a comparison of the Samurai Rebellion STBs -- this post provided me the impetus! 

For folks who are interested, a full sweet of comparison pics can be found here: http://marqueeposter.com/authentication-beware-of-japanese-bootleg-posters/

I included a few teasers below.  The dimensions are more or less perfect and the printing is really pretty good -- even the smallest details are present.  It's just a little blurry when you stick your nose against the print.  I'm guessing an original was scanned at super high  resolution and then printed with (maybe) a top of the line ink jet?  I'd need to get them under high power magnification to be sure.  The main differentiator of the bootlegs is the lack of contrast and slightly desaturated colors, but most mobile phone cameras boost those two things by default anyway making them not as useful for an easy identification at auction.  Also, in the newest repro of the Dr. No R72 STB they seem to be printing blacks and contrast much more accurately.  And while the back of these posters are indeed bright white -- sellers are being tricky to make them look like the ink bleeds through like on an original.  Buyer beware in Japan these days! 

Sean, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but these feel like full on bootlegs to me -- not some sort of studio DVD giveaway.  I'm pretty familiar with the Toho reprints from the 1980s/1990s/early 2000s and the paper stock and print quality on these bootlegs are a totally different beast.  And even if they were Toho licensed reprints, why would the same sellers be offering multiple different Audrey Hepburn poster styles, James Bond, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc...?

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 04:31:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Matt and Sean - great information (and photos).

Probably fairly niche, but I think this B2 for Porco Rosso may also apply...paper on my copy doesn't feel right to me (can't remember the seller unfortunately), I seem to remember it feels too thick/shiny...although as it's perhaps not a theatrical poster, maybe it's supposed to be like that.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:32:15 AM by Tob »

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 12:05:11 PM »
However, on the reproductions eMovie is talking about and the ones that I’ve seen in person (Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Texas chainsaw Massacre yellow style B2, Samurai Rebellion STB) they are clearly being printed to look identical to the originals.  The sellers are also intentionally being deceptive as they show photos of the back of the posters and do it in such a way that you can see a bit of bleed through from the ink.  This used to be a reliable method to identify modern reprints from original posters, but bootleggers have clearly caught on.

I didn't see Emovie "talk" about BAT or Texas Chainsaw, the majority of their post was about billboard-size posters, and rubbery monster ones in particular. The other titles were just part of a list of other size repros of which they are aware.

So my post was about those specific billboard size rubbery monster posters, which surely isn't an eerily similar situation as the minty-white inserts, no matter how much they might wish it to be so.

I haven't seen the BAT or Texas Chainsaw you mention so I can't comment on them. I did see a nice repro B2 of The Prince and the Showgirl a couple of years back (and one for the 1972 re-release of Destroy All Monsters), so am aware that some sellers are at least attempting to make repros now.

I was pretty sure Toho did repros of the Samurai poster as part of the 50th anniversary promotion, but would have to dig through some chirashis to check (and see how they might have been given away).

No doubt some of the reproductions are fantastic (and unmarked), the Destroy All Monsters lobby set is extremely difficult to tell from the originals on most cards, and some of the B2 posters from the Family Mart set in 2005 are perfect - like the Ohrai artwork one for Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah which was never originally made in B2 size, but even eMovie has sold as an original.

Early Hepburn titles, in particular Roman Holiday, are rare and expensive in Japan, so I'm not surprised good bootlegs are finally starting to surface. As of yet I haven't held one in my hands, but I am sure it is just a matter of time.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »
I agree that repro B2s are nothing new... but the ones that have come out lately are very good and, based on the high auction results, are fooling a lot of collectors.  At least at the initial sale.  I'm not sure how many are ultimately returned or junked or what. I think the only saving grace is they are all rolled and mint -- for now.  As we've seen with the fake R66 North by Northwest 1-sheet seller, it's not hard to take a commercial reprint, fold it, and list it in the originals section...

By the way, we can add these to the Japanese REPRO list:

Rickshaw Man Japanese B2
Tokyo Drifter Japanese B2

In my opinion, it's bad for the hobby any time repros are regularly allowed to be sold as originals.

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 02:03:41 AM »
Here is a comparison of the Breakfast at Tiffany's R69, facsimile poster is on the left, original on the right.

Fronts
https://flic.kr/p/QfX56A
Backs
https://flic.kr/p/2cjngAE
Facsimile on left / original on right
https://flic.kr/p/QfX53u
Original Eirin mark
https://flic.kr/p/2cjngyA
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:06:53 AM by Hicks77 »

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 02:07:36 AM »
Not sure why I can't embed the photos; tried the IMG tags but photos didn't load.  So just put the links to Flickr.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 09:25:51 AM »
Thanks for the R69 BAT comparison!

Other fakes to add to the list:

The Mummy 1959 B2
You Only Live Twice R76 B2

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »
Thanks for the R69 BAT comparison!

Other fakes to add to the list:

The Mummy 1959 B2
You Only Live Twice R76 B2

I had noticed there seemed to be a lot of Mummy B2s being offered recently, guess that explains why.
Finally got my hands on one of the BAT fakes, fairly nice job overall.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 09:49:18 AM »
Jaws B2 can be added to the list -- looks very convincing from the online photos too  >:(

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
Do you know if it’s that same seller “yukiko “?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 11:38:22 AM »
Yes. Same low 500 yen starting price as their other repros also.