Author Topic: Changing the name of the forum?  (Read 32006 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Changing the name of the forum?
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2010, 03:25:26 AM »
I'm happy to promote this forum - and have recruited a few members here - but the fact remains that "allposterforum" is a misnomer because this is a de facto movie poster forum.  

I think that one of the reasons that NS4 never really grew is because it has a long-winded, not particularly obvious name "Not Suitable For General Exhibition" and a TERRIBLE website address (http://stylec.yuku.com) Huh?

So right now this forum is like a little cool island that nobody can reach or find out about unless invited.  Wouldn't it be great if people could find us the way most of us found MPF - a Google search?

How about just a mirror site with a "movie poster name" to start?   I bought the domain "moviepostercollectors.com" a while back. I was going to use it for my own site but I'm happy to donate it to the cause.  Or really any other "movieposter______" name will suffice.

And just as importantly, this forum and NS4 should merge - much of the membership overlaps, the growth of both forums has stalled (because MPF is sucking up all the new hobby members from the Internet), and both forums need a more apropos name.

And of course we can help out if $$$ will be required.

Just to clarify,
NSFGE is an old Aussie Film rating, and it made/makes sense in the why and how the forum came about.
Style C, gosh now Im feeling old, many will know about an older forum, called STYLE B, that was spawned out of MOPO, which had some very interesting times.

And NS4 did take off, members come and go, and always will. NS4 has been slower of late, one reason is most of us on there have talked and talked for years, young blood and contraversy is what seems to make for lively discussion.

Re Advertising on NS4, I think you only see it if you arent logged in, as I sure dont put any up, or see any myself.

APF is good for me, as it seems there are a lot of collectors of newer posters (which previously was the domain of MPF), NS4 has always been MAINLY (not all) Vintage stuff.

Re name change, I like it as is, as i come across other stuff, Ill post in the other areas.

Danke,

Ari
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »
Just to clarify,
NSFGE is an old Aussie Film rating, and it made/makes sense in the why and how the forum came about.

And NS4 did take off, members come and go, and always will. NS4 has been slower of late, one reason is most of us on there have talked and talked for years, young blood and contraversy is what seems to make for lively discussion.

Fair points Ari.  

"Not Strictly for General Exhibition" is a cool name but unwieldy as an internet address and unfamiliar to us Yankees.  But the real issue is the web address "stylec.yuku.com."  Your forum comes up near the top on Google searches but it possible - perhaps probable - that the obscure web address is a significant disadvantage in attracting new members, which you agree is essential to keeping a forum going.

Likewise, "allposterforum" is too generic.  Given a choice between "movie poster forum" and "all poster forum" don't you think that the vast majority of movie poster collector newbies will head straight for MPF?   And I suspect there are very few people looking for a "catch all" poster forum.  Most collectors specialize in a particular area - movies, music, art prints, etc.

However, "expressobeans" has succeeded with a generic, untargeted title.

Bruce

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »
What difference does it make if MPF comes up first in searches if it does not result in posting members? Take away For Sale posts and it likely averages a couple of posts per DAY. And most of the visits are likely from advertisers.

It is the quality of the members that counts, not the quantity.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2010, 10:31:52 AM »
What difference does it make if MPF comes up first in searches if it does not result in posting members? Take away For Sale posts and it likely averages a couple of posts per DAY. And most of the visits are likely from advertisers.

Bruce

The danger is that newbies go to MPF, see that everything is dead, and lose interest in collecting and/or participating in forums.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2010, 01:46:16 AM »
The danger is that newbies go to MPF, see that everything is dead, and lose interest in collecting and/or participating in forums.

I think if they lose interest that quickly, then screw 'em - they don't belong in the first place.  When I started, I had such zeal about it that I turned the net upside down looking for places and information and sales.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2010, 01:47:51 AM »

Bruce

Bruce, he doesn't even get for sale posts that much.  But, I still remember Rich saying that he gets more traffic via his MPF advertising than elsewhere, so someone must be visiting the site.  I wonder if the other advertisers feel the same way?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2010, 02:00:55 AM »
Truth is, the expenses for the forum are not that big - it costs Thierry and I a few hundred a year, divided between us, to support the forum -- all spent on registrar fees, forum hosting fees and domain registration fees.  We also registered other similar names to this domain so that we don't run into the problem Bruce faces (emovieposter vs. emovieposters), and under different extensions like .biz.

Truth also is this:  if I had time on my hands, I would love to promote the site far and wide.  Fact is, I just don't have the time to do it.  I'm glad we have some good moderators to help out with the day to day.  As you have seen, I can be absent for quite awhile when I have cases going to trial or a lot of deadlines to meet. Thierry spends a lot of time here, but he doesn't have the technical know-how, and while his wife does, she's properly busy with working her day job to support Thierry's crack (er, poster) habit.

There is an interesting idea though, that perhaps we create a sister site - not a forum per se, but perhaps a blogging site or some such, and use that as the vehicle to direct more traffic here.  I'll dwell on that a bit.

One more thing - Mel's absolutely right that as much as we'd like not to be, we are a mostly movie poster forum.  Even the ad posters I collect for the most part relate to movies and movie theaters.  Much of the graphic art posters are the same too, relating to movies.  Having seen how this place goes for almost a year now,  I think we'd have a hard if not impossible time catering to "all posters". 

food for thought.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »
Well I mainly collect film stuff, but I also have Circus, Railway, Pantomime, music, and other posters, as I'm sure most other collectors will have. I also have non-paper movie collectables. The point is this site covers most base's, they are there to use if needs be, and it's why I joined. I joined MPF after this site as I thought It may be good to join the two, but have Hardly been on MPF. This site at the moment may have a Small core of people who post more than others, but they are all first rate Fellows. That's better than having 1000 wankers posting shite.

It's a great site, enjoy it. This jollyfine atmosphere maybe gone soon!!!!

As for attracting more members, " Slowly slowly catchy monkey".
It's more than a Hobby...