Author Topic: Changing the name of the forum?  (Read 32115 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Changing the name of the forum?
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »
What ads? I haven't seen ads there for a long time.

NS4 is the #1 website for viewing quality daybills. ;)

cheers
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »
You get ads on NS4 when you aren't logged in.

If you want to still view in guest mode ie by not logging in, but want to disable the videos, follow my instructions here: http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/6702

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
Its very nice here...no ads, no self absorbed better than thou assholes....just nice.  ;D

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 10:16:53 PM »
what makes us really cool, just like ns4, is that we could care less about whether people participate or not (don't take that harshly people).  That's why I just don't care to go to the effort of ranking up the forum or trolling for new members or whatever.  I have a core group of people, and somewhere somehow over time it will continue to grow.  Or it won't.  C'est la vie!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 11:57:04 PM »
what makes us really cool

We're not nearly as cool as the Expresso dweebs:

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 12:17:06 AM »
We're not nearly as cool as the Expresso dweebs:

That's a pretty cool set up, IMO.  I guess I am a dweeb after all.    ;D

I almost got this bus shelter a few months ago.

tstatum

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 03:02:58 AM »
Let's get real if you google poster forum APF is number 4 behind only 2 by MPF and one for NS4 not bad for a forum started in the last year. All things considered this forum is above the fold so people who need to find this forum will and people who go to the first entry alone will not. If that how it will be thats how it will be.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 09:39:36 AM »
what makes us really cool, just like ns4, is that we could care less about whether people participate or not (don't take that harshly people).  That's why I just don't care to go to the effort of ranking up the forum or trolling for new members or whatever.  I have a core group of people, and somewhere somehow over time it will continue to grow.  Or it won't.  C'est la vie!

Well said.

I just don't know what mel's after!! Is he unhappy here?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 10:29:48 AM »

I just don't know what mel's after!! Is he unhappy here?

It's Mel being Mel.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
No I'm not "unhappy" here - like I said the forum is doing relatively well. That's great that APF is coming up 4th on the "poster forum" Google search.   But most potential members probably type "movie poster ____" when searching and APF doesn't come up.  Furthermore, we shouldn't be satisfied with the status quo and everyone wants to see more active new members.  

Thierry has repeatedly posted that he's "tired of seeing the same 5 people post."  

A couple of people (including Holiday) posted that this forum "might fail" if I left.  Which is certainly not true but we have lost three major contributors - Carson (dare I speak his name?), Wonka, and Jeannie.  If 4-5 more major contributors left, the forum could fail, given how top-heavy it is.

As great as they are, I think the reality is that NS4 and MOPO have been stagnant for years.  They all have a great core - but relatively small - group of contributors.  If you read over those forums, you'll see a good number of complaints about the lack of new members.  Some NS4 members dismissed MPF as a "bunch of newbies" but clearly there was a hint of jealousy in those remarks.

I checked Expresso Beans.  They have 700 members who have made more than 100 posts.  Of course, it's been around several years and the general art print hobby is larger than movie posters, but it's indicative of what could have happened if this hobby weren't split into four forums.

I received this message on Ebay from an MPF member this morning.  How many of you have seen something similar?

"Check out allposterforum.com - everybody left MPF and went there a year  ago. MPF is a dead zone now."

"funnily enough i was going to post on MPF last night and ask why the hell nobody ever responds to anything! then thought better of it as i didn't want to upset anyone. that explains things. thanks!"

Given all that, it's hardly outrageous to suggest that the forum might benefit from a name change reflecting what actually interests members and what might draw in new members.  At minimum, 50s excellent suggestions should be followed.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »
I have recently discovered the "who's on line button" and the times I've been on, there alway's seems to be Guests registering for membership, but the number of members doesn't seem to rise. Are most of them being rejected?

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 12:41:27 PM »
Those are some good points, Mel.  

Your comment about APF not showing up when "movie poster _____" is googled is a good point.  Personally, I would have never found APF if I had not seen a post about it on MPF.

That is cool how Expresso Beans has that many "regulars".  Clicking on MPF is usually a pretty boring experience for me, since it seems it is just a collection of random posts from some random people, and like Archie has said, it's all somewhat censored there.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 01:19:20 PM »
You get ads on NS4 when you aren't logged in.

If you want to still view in guest mode ie by not logging in, but want to disable the videos, follow my instructions here: http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/6702

Thanks for that link 50`s i had a look,i tried to follow the instructions,however im only using the standard IE8 firewall and the solution did not seem to apply with that firewall. Can you help out with some more info?

Thanks
Stew

Sorry Mel for dragging this off topic somewhat.
PM please 50`s

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »
Great points all around.
Search engine optimization should be explored...

What I really dig about APF is the diversity of it's membership.  That is where our strength lies.
I don't see any reason why any forums should 'merge.'  Each has it's own identity and there is cross pollination going on all the time. Seems healthy 'as is.'

The APF community seems to be growing slowly yet steadily.  Some recent new contributors have added awesome dimension.  I don't want to be specific and alienate any one that I accidentally overlook, but I really enjoy seeing what everyone collects.

Slow and steady growth.  I like it.  thumbup

Now...if we could get more of the many guests to register and contribute...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »

I agree thats crucial Brude,come on guests, sign up! Dive in and let us get to know you  ;D

Stew

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 07:19:10 PM »
I have recently discovered the "who's on line button" and the times I've been on, there alway's seems to be Guests registering for membership, but the number of members doesn't seem to rise. Are most of them being rejected?

Yes, most are rejected -- spambots.  If we used the number of actual registrations as our "membership" tally, we would be over 2300 "members".  I could then say that our growth is more aggressive than any other forum out there!  Except, that would be a lie.  Actual meat registrations are at 196.  The rest are all spambots.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 07:31:02 PM »
Its pretty sad that they all fake numbers....

Another reason this place kicks ass. ITS ALL REAL.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 01:01:27 PM »
Bloody Spambots gun1 spam gun2

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 03:43:46 PM »

There is a forum setting that presently allows guests to browse the forum.  So, membership is only required to post to the site, not to view anything on the site.  My thought was that I don't want people registering just to view the forum, if they don't want to participate in the forum.  It seems to me that forcing membership on those people is nothing more than a surreptitious attempt to boost membership numbers.  The only reason I'm pointing this out is to do a reality check on my thinking.  Is there any reason to require all who wish to view the forum to register for membership?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

tstatum

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 04:06:56 PM »
That line of reasoning makes perfect sense.  I have always browsed forum for many months before registering and eventually posting.  I like to know the tone of the major contributors before putting myself out there as a new poster.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »
Is there any reason to require all who wish to view the forum to register for membership?

No, guests should be able to view to their heart's content. 
Those who want to contribute will join when the mood strikes them.
I just want to see what they collect.  hitself

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2010, 04:34:58 AM »
As great as they are, I think the reality is that NS4 and MOPO have been stagnant for years.  They all have a great core - but relatively small - group of contributors.  If you read over those forums, you'll see a good number of complaints about the lack of new members.  Some NS4 members dismissed MPF as a "bunch of newbies" but clearly there was a hint of jealousy in those remarks.

Maybe it's time for a membership drive... "Please visit NSFGE, we serve punch and pie!"

BTW, 'sympathy' would be a more apt word than 'jealousy'...

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2010, 08:47:54 AM »

BTW, 'sympathy' would be a more apt word than 'jealousy'...

Funny.  No, I think this discussion has made clear that we're doing just fine.  Also, I wouldn't call NS4 stagnant.  They are just as happy where they are.  Some would say that NS4 is like going to graduate school for poster collecting.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Funny.  No, I think this discussion has made clear that we're doing just fine. 

There are too many new posts!  I can't keep up with them.  We need to start randomly kicking out members to keep down the post count! (Naturally, yours truly would be exempt!)  8)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2010, 05:22:16 PM »
Funny.  No, I think this discussion has made clear that we're doing just fine.  Also, I wouldn't call NS4 stagnant.  They are just as happy where they are.  Some would say that NS4 is like going to graduate school for poster collecting.

That comment was with regards to MPF, not the fine folks at APF...