Author Topic: Heritage and the Case of the Curious Earrings  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Heritage and the Case of the Curious Earrings
« on: September 24, 2018, 07:27:04 AM »
An unusual one this, and without any reasonable sounding explanation for what happened, herewith for your consideration.

https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/estate-jewelry/earrings/diamond-rose-gold-earrings/a/5349-55284.s?type=bidnotice-confirm&fromEmail=1&login=1

I recently received an email notification from Heritage stating, 'Congratulations - you are now the highest bidder for this.'  The lot is for some diamond earrings.  I am not interested in earrings, never have been, never in fact bid on any platform other than the one about which we are here to discuss.

Looking into it, I saw that this lot had two bidders, that there Had been a reserve and that due to my currently highest bid, the reserve had been met.  $3000 worth of reserve in fact.

Mentioning this to Heritage, the response was one of;

'Yes, there was just a manual error made when entering the client number for the bids.  We noticed this right away and removed the bids from your account before you emailed us, but the confirmation went as soon as the bids were entered, which is why you were erroneously notified.  Everything is fine now and I sincerely apologize about this mistake that was made here internally."

Now, my questions that have since gone unanswered are around the need for Any manual entering of client numbers.  Would not all this be automatic?

And, if you are reading this post within the next day or so, as of 24th Sep, there are still two bidders with presumably the second one still having cleared the reserve price....

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:28:57 AM by Simes »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Heritage and the Case of the Curious Earrings
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:52:43 AM »
Definitely odd!   :o :o :o

Only speculation, but maybe someone with fat fingers was entering a phone or fax bid?  Presumably those old-school bids would still need to be done manually.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:34:35 AM »
If you're watching an online auction, does one really then phone or fax?  I suppose logistically it is a possibility that a lawyer worth his salt might offer as a way out.

For my part, I have other questions...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »
Be glad you didn't win them.  These earrings are atrocious.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »
About 2 years ago I signed my dad's wife up to get one of the Heritage jewelry catalogs, and even though he has the newest Apple computer tech, she still fills out the bidsheet and faxes it in for every auction
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com