Author Topic: latest acquisition: old movie poster: Kentucky Blue Streak (1935)  (Read 7459 times)

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
latest acquisition: old movie poster: Kentucky Blue Streak (1935)
« on: September 22, 2018, 02:30:17 PM »
a few pics here:   https://imgur.com/a/2Jh4t5c

Size is 38.5 x 26" there may be some vertical loss as the poster overlaps itself a bit.

OK as you can see there is a backing here of thick cardboard e.g. 1/8" or so. The good news is the poster is not glued to the backing, it appears to be taped down or something in just a few places. i think I can lift it off the tape but i have to be careful.

Q1: as the poster paper is a bit fragile how do I ship this to a buyer? So far i have gently rolled it a bit and it hasnt cracked, so I wouldnt say its extremely brittle, still I dont know if it can stand to be completely rolled up into a tube. How do i test this? and/or should I just ship in rectangular box?

2. should I even attempt to remove it from the cardboard?

3. Any idea on value? a quick search showed only one sold in Europe I think for over $400. going from memory.

Thanks for your help and enjoy the pics.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: latest acquisition: old movie poster: Kentucky Blue Streak (1935)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 03:09:08 PM »
On your eBay page, you have a Breakfast at Tiffany's reproduction, listed in the originals category, for $3,500.

Not to mention the other issues with your listings, that a few people gave you advice about, and the listings are still unchanged.

Why ask for advice and not accept it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breakfast-at-Tiffanys-poster-41x27-1-sheet-1998-reissue-Impact-Posters-AUS/323437819119?hash=item4b4e6574ef:g:aLkAAOSweIla9OCF

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 12:05:41 AM »
Because I am having a glitch in the system and it is not letting me change that listing. I have called ebay three times this week and got put on hold every time. The first time for 50 min, then another for 35 min, then this afternoon for another 30 or so...

I can run my own business just fine thank you.

OK? I understand the issues, the listing clearly says it is a reproduction and not a very good one at that. I dont intend to sell it at 3500 nor am I committing any crime if I do.

So I am really not sure what advice you wish to give me about the Tiffany's poster. I did not ask for any. You volunteered to criticize by going through all my listings. thanks for your help.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 01:34:08 AM »
Because I am having a glitch in the system and it is not letting me change that listing. I have called ebay three times this week and got put on hold every time. The first time for 50 min, then another for 35 min, then this afternoon for another 30 or so...

I can run my own business just fine thank you.

OK? I understand the issues, the listing clearly says it is a reproduction and not a very good one at that. I dont intend to sell it at 3500 nor am I committing any crime if I do.

So I am really not sure what advice you wish to give me about the Tiffany's poster. I did not ask for any. You volunteered to criticize by going through all my listings. thanks for your help.

You just listed it in the "originals" category for that price, but OK.

Good luck with that.

I'm probably not the only one who noticed that at least some, maybe all, of your listings aren't right.

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 02:32:14 AM »
Is there any incorrect or illegal about the listing now?

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 02:41:40 AM »
I dont appreciate being told that all my listings are incorrect. I think your remarks already can be considered trade disparagement.

I have not tried to hide anything, at the same time you are making these remarks another entity is sending questions to my ebay store. I have answered everything as best I can.

I have no reason to try to hide anything. I have 100% customer satisfaction. If something I said is incorrect or misleading then I have to take the item back because a) if an item is not described correctly you basically have to under ebay's policies. Its hard to imagine how an online system could work otherwise; and b) I have a 100% satisfaction why would I jeopardize that?

if you have other concerns about any of my listings, then why dont you send them onto my ebay site and I can handle them in due course. it's not very fair to me to start interrupting my thread with irrelevant disparagement about my listings.

I also don't appreciate your suggestion that people should not help me because I won't comply with your suggestions. Which is what you are saying when you started this entire issue.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 02:12:14 PM »
Trade disparagement?  Really?

Setting that aside, it's difficult to see where the tape is holding it down but maybe some Bestine could free it up.  Unfortunately I think the Bestine would cost more than the poster is worth.  It's a mess and, unless you find a horse racing or Eddie Nugent completist, it's going to be a hard sell at $30.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 02:13:58 PM »
Regarding KENTUCKY BLUE STREAK, it looks like the poster is in rough shape and could use linen backing. I definitely would not try rolling it and sending it in a tube. I also would not try to remove the poster from the backing since the paper is fragile and could easily rip and tear. Since it's already taped or glued to a board I would offer it as is, being careful to mention it's affixed to a board and would  be hard to remove it intact. It would be the buyers responsibility for remove it if he or she wants to. Since it's in a plastic sleeve, I would leave it in the sleeve and send it flat between 5 or 6 large sheets of cardboard or in a flat box with lots of padding so no further damage can happen to it. That's what I would personally do, but it's up to you to handle it as you like.

As for the price, that's also up to you. The condition of the poster is a major factor and the lack of any well known stars would peg this as a B movie. I would think maybe $100 for it on a good day.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 09:04:40 PM »
Is there any incorrect or illegal about the listing now?

Considering it's a repro., a bad one at that as you said, has no historic or other collectible value, a fair market price would be maybe $10 (ten U.S. dollars).  Is it "incorrect" to originally list it at $3,500, now $1,000?  That shouldn't even be a question.