Author Topic: Hi-diddly-ho, fellow collectorinos!  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Zagnut

• Beginner
Hi-diddly-ho, fellow collectorinos!
« on: September 21, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
New guy here who ran across this forum looking for some quality Star Wars reprints (in General Discussion).
Will I find them?
Stay tuned!
I have limited space, but plenty of frames I got from a now-defunct business. 
They were originally 28/29x40, so I had to get creative: I found a local frame shop that trimmed the metal frames down to 27.
Then I got a Dremel and added a drill bit: using that like a router, I trimmed the lucite down to size and sanded the cut edge smooth.  When assembled, they look like the $80+ frames I see elsewhere.
I've got lots of posters from my childhood.  As time passed I stopped getting one of each and only got those from movies I knew I'd like or just look plain cool, like The Predator and First Man.  Still looking for these, BTW.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Hi-diddly-ho, fellow collectorinos!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »
 welcome1 to the forum, Zagnut.

Have fun with the fellow poster-peeps here and would love to see some of your revamped frames, too, when you get the chance.

Sounds like they all turned out really well.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
Welcome, Zag!  Glad to hear you are adjusting the frames rather than the posters!  Okie

Offline Zagnut

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 03:52:25 PM »
Here are 2 pics; 1 of the back of the revamped frame and the other with it in action: displaying my 1991 PB Max mailaway Rocketeer poster.  FYI, the mail-in was you had to by x number of the candy bars, and send in a check for I think $2, and you got this poster, with glossy coating.  The backs had a serial number for some reason.  I recall finding boxes of those candy bars at a deep discount store for maybe $1, so I got lots of those posters.  Even got one signed by the director.  I think it's a nice, fun film and it's one of my fave posters just from the looks alone.

These metal frames ranged from 28x40 to 30x40.  They were composed of a metal frame, the clear lucite (or whatever plastic) and the foamboard with random school jargon printed on it.  It and the lucite is held in the frame by maybe 10 metal bands.

My brother's company owns lots of real estate in malls, buildings, etc., and ITT Tech was one of their tenants.  When ITT lost their federal creds, they just left overnight leaving everything behind.  And it now all belongs to my bro's company.  So he called me up one day and asked if I wanted some computers (it's my line of work) and told me to come down there.  Overall, I got dozens of nearly-new PCs, software, hardware, books, etc. And then started bringing home the frames, which lined a long hallway.  There are still more left for me.  Every time I go, I feel like the Grinch.

I found a local art store that would cut them down to 27 for me, computer-guided, for cheap.  And man, were those new corners sharp.  I cut many a finger and arms assembling those frames.

Once I got them back, all I needed to do was trim the foamboard and lucite and pop in the posters.  Only problem now is finding wall space for them all, and future ones.

Uploaded with surfmypictures

Uploaded with surfmypictures

Now I kinda want a PB Max.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 09:36:04 PM »
Excellent job recycling, Zagnut!  Also, I have enjoyed many of your candy bars over the years. Haven't seen one in awhile, though.  Okie

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 12:27:53 AM »
Welcome to APF.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!