Author Topic: Greta Garbo  (Read 3939 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Greta Garbo
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:51:35 PM »
Happy Birthday, Greta Garbo: September 18, 1905!  Let's see everyone's Garbo posters etc.  I'll start with the MGM personality poster I bought in EMP's recent major auction (I still need to take a framed photo), and also repost the Swedish personality poster I have as well.  "I want to be alone" not very long on this Garbo birthday thread!  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Greta Garbo
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 11:03:50 PM »
Beautiful, Swedish poster, there, Okie. I was also watching that particular auction.

Congrats on the win and pickup!

Both pieces are really great images of GG, too.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:09:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 11:51:18 PM »
Beautiful, Swedish poster, there, Okie. I was also watching that particular auction.

Congrats on the win and pickup!

Both pieces are really great images of GG, too.

Do you have any Garbo goodies lurking out West with you, Jeff?  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 11:55:35 PM »
Do you have any Garbo goodies lurking out West with you, Jeff?  Okie

None so far, Okie.

-Jeff

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 12:32:52 PM »
not much love here for GG oakie ??? ;D
i have this pop-arty hanger from the sixties

i have only seen 3 Garbo films (i think) - Anna Christie, Grand Hotel and Ninotchka
this will be due to my favourite thirties genres being comedy and musicals
i was just checking google for Ninotchka spelling when i came upon Two-Faced Woman
i don't understand how i havn't seen this and it is now high up on my to-see list  thumbsup.gif
i also intend to get around to watching some of her silents one day

the auction that you got your great personality poster from oakie was amazing

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 12:38:54 AM »
Your hanger is great, Redman!  Yeah, the collection of personality posters in Bruce's last major auction blew my mind a bit.  I won another gorgeous one that I'll post in November for that star's birthday!  Garbo's image is so iconic in movie culture, though as time goes by I meet fewer folks who have seen her films.  Silent Garbo is heaven to watch.  I may rent out our local theatre and show some older films.  I've done that a few times in the past and my friends and I have been amazed.   Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 06:38:06 AM »
I won another gorgeous one that I'll post in November for that star's birthday!

i predict GT! funnily enough i thought the english one of hers was one of the nicest there but i will guess you are the lucky owner of the US one (just as great of course)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
i predict GT! funnily enough i thought the english one of hers was one of the nicest there but i will guess you are the lucky owner of the US one (just as great of course)

Hmmmm, GT's birthday is next month, Redman!  Will it be U.S. or U.K.?  Suspense!   Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »
Your hanger is great, Redman!  Yeah, the collection of personality posters in Bruce's last major auction blew my mind a bit.  I won another gorgeous one that I'll post in November for that star's birthday!  Garbo's image is so iconic in movie culture, though as time goes by I meet fewer folks who have seen her films.  Silent Garbo is heaven to watch.  I may rent out our local theatre and show some older films.  I've done that a few times in the past and my friends and I have been amazed.   Okie

I havent seen a lot of her flicks, but thought she was great in such classics as NINOTCHKA and GRAND HOTEL. Her deadpan delivery in Ninotchka makes for great humor, gotta say. I need to check out more of her stuff.

And then her mystique, when she retired from films at a younger age and became more reclusive in her later and last years, made for added intrigue, too.

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 06:54:42 AM »
Ninotchka is such a funny film - one of my favourites.

Mark

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 11:41:13 PM »
Happy Birthday, Greta Garbo: September 18, 1905!  Let's see everyone's Garbo posters etc.  I'll start with the MGM personality poster I bought in EMP's recent major auction (I still need to take a framed photo), and also repost the Swedish personality poster I have as well.  "I want to be alone" not very long on this Garbo birthday thread!  Okie

Garbo's birthday is upon us again (well, in 20 minutes, if you are in the U.S. Eastern Time zone)!  Any new Garbo goodies for anyone?

Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 11:44:27 PM »
Happy B-DAY,  GG notworthy.gif thumbsup.gif

-Jeff