Author Topic: Got some odd posters which market is best to sell them in? ?  (Read 7824 times)

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
Got some odd posters which market is best to sell them in? ?
« on: September 09, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
Not sure which forum to post this in. My base assumption is that posters do not do well at auctions. Heck I get probably most of my posters at auctions. So basically I think posters take a while to sell and that auctions usually favor buyers.

Anyhow, Ive got some odd ones that I think I might take to Heritage. One is a Russian WW II poster that I think I posted pics of some time ago. Maybe not.  It has a swastika on it as it depicts Hitler, Goebbels in caricature as well as depicting the graves of German soldiers. I cant sell it on ebay owing to restrictions on swastikas. Would Heritage be a good fit for this?

A 7 foot tall poster from Kruger National Park in So. Africa. Fittingly it's of a giraffe. I dont know if its special or what. It very likely from the 1960's as it came with a trove of travel posters all dating from 50s and 60s. It seems unusual and I'd like to move it. Would HA be better than ebay?

3 UN posters from 1948. these depict various tenents of the UN. such as Human Rights and other rights. They are more like class room posters however they are dated to 1948 and so they were there at the inception of the UN. again HA or ebay or what?

Finally an 1843 Currier and Ive's "poster' called The Drunks Progress. It is an early ad for abstaining from alcohol and is quite well known. the last one auctioned for about $400 I guess, I forget where it went. Should I hold it on ebay? take it to HA or Christies?

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Got some odd posters which market is best to sell them in? ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:08:57 PM »
send it to Heritage and ask Grey if he can position the Courier & Ives print into the right Heritage division so it gets to the right audience

I send HA material well outside the posters category & just sent off some bronze casts and they have material in the photographs auction that begins tomorrow as well. But you still send it to Grey

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 12:50:36 AM »
Is this the Currier & Ives print that you have?

Or does it look like this one, with the different text under the imagery?  What are the dimensions of your print?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:15:48 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »
yes

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »
yes

Which version do you have? The 2 above pics are slightly different.

-Jeff

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 12:06:09 PM »
IN addition the yellow color on mine has faded quite a bit. Notably on the top character where I dont think there's any yellow color the bottom right character still retains some  yellow but you have to look closely for it. I did not notice it.

WHere did you find such a nice photo of this? I could not. It also helps confirm that mine is genuine else how could someone forge one of these adn be able to fade out the yellow ink?

ALSO DIFFERENT QUESTION: Hey does anyone understand how the replication process worked on these? I can see tiny dots that we associate with mezzo tints. Although here we have more than one color.  THese are not rosettes, these are tiny pricks in the plate. But how did they run off more than one color one these plates? Did they run separate plates or do they just ink certain sections of the plate with one color at a time? I guess that is how they did it.

They have mezzo tint patterns in various areas they with to ink then they apply ink of a certain color to certain areas. they run the paper through the plate. Then they clean it off, then they put red ink on certain areas and repeat. Is that it?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
What does the text, under the image, on yours say?

Look at the 2 pics.

At the bottom of the top example, it is titled "THE DRUNKARD'S PROGRESS"

In the second example, it's called "THE DRUNKARDS PROGRESS / FROM THE FIRST GLASS TO THE GRAVE"

Does your copy have the longer title? Or the shorter one?

-Jeff

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »
Hello Jeff: Indeed it is the second version. The character in the lower right clearly has the yellow vest and red cravat. The yellowing of the paper has made the yellow on the upper center figure almost invisible (not quite). But the lower right guy still has the yellow vest/red cravat. And also the words: "from the first glass to the grave"

thanks for all your help.

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »
Hello MovieBid guy: I assume Grey is a person at HA? should I call them and ask for him directly? I have already sent them an email to the basic incoming link. What do you suggest?

They are great people at HA, a woman their saved me from being burned in an auction a couple years ago. it was an online auction and the item was listed as a painting by this french artist, whose stuff sells over $10,000. i got into a bidding war and finally won the item. I contacted HA soon after before I even picked up and the lady told me it looks like a print. I got to the pick up and saw the item in person...I couldnt tell. Broiught it to the owner who offered to put it under loup. It took awhile as it was a very finely done print with very small rosettes. Finally he confirmed it was a print and gave me my money back. That was a true class out fit but I could have badly burned.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »
If yours is the 2nd version with the longer title ("THE DRUNKARDS PROGRESS / FROM THE FIRST GLASS TO THE GRAVE") as well as having the more yellow tinted background behind the characters on the slope, then you have a 1970s reproduction of the original.

The original version, done in the 1840s, is the top copy, which was a hand tinted lithograph. Also, the original version had the shorter title.

And the small clusters (rosettes) of colored ink you're seeing is how the offset printing process looks, (& which would be how your later reproduced copy was printed).

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:38:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »
Here are the same ones sitting in the LIbrary of Congress:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/91796265/

your opinion is hard to understand. Maybe you are right I am no expert.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »
Both examples you linked to have the shorter title.

You mentioned above, when I asked, that yours has the extended/longer title. Hopefully, that's more clear.

In a nutshell: what is the title under the image of your copy?

Is it:

"THE DRUNKARD'S PROGRESS"

or

"THE DRUNKARDS PROGRESS / FROM THE FIRST GLASS TO THE GRAVE"

If your copy has the longer title, its the later reproduction.

And Im no expert, but I also love early lithos, steel cut lithography, hand tinted lithos, etc and have a number of those here, that I have picked up over the years. And when I have, Ive done research to determine what something has been, if I wasnt sure.

Thats what I did with your example. I just love the "sherlocking" aspect of the hobby, too. And learning about when a piece is from, how made, artist, if later repros were ever produced etc.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:06:35 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 01:37:56 PM »
Hello MovieBid guy: I assume Grey is a person at HA? should I call them and ask for him directly? I have already sent them an email to the basic incoming link. What do you suggest?

send him an email via the HA website. His contact is on the Movie Posters page

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
OH Jeff. My mistake. I have the first one. I didnt realize the difference was in the position of the latter phrase. I have the first one its clearly quite old.

Any more comments on this? I have got a couple of low ball offers on ebay which I rejected.

Thanks again. Great site.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »
OH Jeff. My mistake. I have the first one. I didnt realize the difference was in the position of the latter phrase. I have the first one its clearly quite old.

Any more comments on this? I have got a couple of low ball offers on ebay which I rejected.

Thanks again. Great site.

Can you post a pic or link of your actual print? You said its on ebay?

-Jeff

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 02:39:52 PM »
It was very confusing you said the first one had the shorter title but really both works have the same title. The only difference is in the positioning of the second part of the phrase. i was confused.

Jeff: they are not rosettes on my work, they are simply small dots formed by some sort of pointed tool used to make mezzo tint sort of works.  Can you elaborate more on the process used on this work? Do they simply clean the plates and then ink a different part of the plate for the next color run? Maybe I am unsure on what "hand colored" really  means they dont color each individually  or do they? 

I notice several of the examples have minor variations in coloring especially on the final figure in the lower right. very interesting.

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 02:49:37 PM »
Thanks.

Looks to be a lot of foxing scattered around on your copy -- on the wide borders and margins of the paper, outside the printed area.

And I see there are 2 others also for sale on ebay for approx $35 (open bid) and a BIN of $60, so you have some competition.

Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:12:03 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 05:41:22 PM »
Interesting piece there, SS.

Good work on the identification, Jefe.

To be clear, is this one from the 1800s or is it the later reproduction?  And what are the other 2 on eBay?

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 11:50:11 PM »
Looking at the eBay posting again, there are several issues.

There is no mat around the poster in the frame.  Your condition description "None of the foxing appears to touch the image as its confined to the matte" is false.  The foxing appears to be on the borders of the print, as well as the image.

Foxing does not occur on all old posters, etc.  It usually happens from improper storage methods.

The photos are bad. Much too dark and blurry to see the fine details of the print, for folks to confirm the printing date of it, and have a clear representation of the condition of it.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 04:49:49 AM »
Not sure of the value of the items you want to send in but I was recently told they need a $5000 aggregate value for a consignor...

Not sure if this is covered or not.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »
Not sure of the value of the items you want to send in but I was recently told they need a $5000 aggregate value for a consignor...

Not sure if this is covered or not.

my suggestion to people who want to consign to HA and don't have enough to make this mark, is to get 2-3-4 people together and submit them as one consignment. when you are paid, you get a detailed list of each item, it's hammer price and percentage. That way it's easy to divvy it up to the proper person

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 11:11:31 PM »
my suggestion to people who want to consign to HA and don't have enough to make this mark, is to get 2-3-4 people together and submit them as one consignment. when you are paid, you get a detailed list of each item, it's hammer price and percentage. That way it's easy to divvy it up to the proper person
I would be in if anyone wants to jump in

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 12:19:32 PM »
Re: Heritage I suppose I could ship more of my collectible posters to Heritage but that brings up several questions:

Is Heritage the best place to get the most for my posters? I had a Ww I poster I got 1200 for on ebay I dont think I'd get that much at the auctions around here. But I know HA gets good money for their movie posters.

Can we assume HA does as well with other types of posters such as ww II and Ww i posters as they do with movie posters?

Can I bundle the posters with other high ticket items to meet the threshold? Does HA auction basically every type of collectible? I have a music box I as thinking of sending to Christies in New York, can we expect HA to do as well with it as them?

ON the CUrrier and Ives lithograph. Its true that I did a sloppy effort on that listing. i find if I dont list things as soon as I get them they did to never get listed. You are correct on the mistakes I made there. I will probably just pull the listing in order to send it to auction.

WHat about the other questions I had about the Russian poster and the Kruger poster. Does anyone have any comment on those?