Author Topic: HOw much does mounting the poster on foam detract from value?  (Read 6013 times)

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
HOw much does mounting the poster on foam detract from value?
« on: September 08, 2018, 05:30:24 AM »
this is in regards to a spanish language poster of an old 1950s movie. the poster would normally auction at $500 but this one is mounted on foam board.

This is usually bad news in my experience. I had a wine poster that would have sold well but it was mounted on foam board and my buyer didnt want it. there are also a lot of reproductions on foam board but this poster appears to be authentic.

Any ideas? Any ideas at all, I've got to decide by mon night

thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:33:53 AM by Sunday Silence »

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Re: HOw much does mounting the poster on foam detract from value?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
That's a pretty lethal defect imho.  They're hard to remove, expensive to ship, and, as far as I know, non-archival, so rotten all the way around.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion, 10 to 20% of value of a decent copy.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
It really depends on the age/value/rarity of the poster. If it’s a Dracula one sheet, I can’t  see the value being effected much. If it’s a Jaws one sheet, I bet it would drop the price by 75%.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 03:25:06 PM »
Mounting a poster on foam core is the kiss of death. Framers usually do this so the poster lays absolutely flat in a frame. I honestly don't know if it can be safely removed or not but I've always been told it's permanent and not reversible. The only way to know for sure is to consult paper restoration professionals like Poster Mountain. If you decide to go this route, stay away from Chris Cloutier at Posterfix. Far, Far away. Check the Restoration page for evidence of his ineptness.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: How much does mounting the poster on foam detract from value?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 03:40:29 PM »
Mounting a poster on foam core is the kiss of death. Framers usually do this so the poster lays absolutely flat in a frame. I honestly don't know if it can be safely removed or not but I've always been told it's permanent and not reversible. The only way to know for sure is to consult paper restoration professionals like Poster Mountain. If you decide to go this route, stay away from Chris Cloutier at Posterfix. Far, Far away. Check the Restoration page for evidence of his ineptness.

The dry mount question has also been discussed here, too, cabman:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2912.0.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:52:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 04:04:26 PM »
It really depends on the age/value/rarity of the poster. If it’s a Dracula one sheet, I can’t  see the value being effected much. If it’s a Jaws one sheet, I bet it would drop the price by 75%.

Agreed.  I’d probably go higher than 75%.  Personally, I’d never ever buy a poster mounted on foam board, regardless of title, condition or age.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 06:20:44 PM »
I have a Blade Runner 1sh that is mounted on foamcore. It's coming off in spots & might be able to be removed, but as far as I'm concerned, this is just a $100 poster in this situation and maybe less.
I have about 20 mounted pieces, half sheets & one sheets, that I can't list for sale, because packing them for shipping is too much trouble and too costly.
they're just junk

It really depends on the age/value/rarity of the poster. If it’s a Dracula one sheet, I can’t  see the value being effected much.

well the value in that situation would still be deteriorated, however for a couple-three thousand, you can have it removed (as much as possible) and put on linen with restoration.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Sunday Silence

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 09:23:25 AM »
Right. see this corresponds with what I was thinking but I have only been dealing in posters a couple years and the issue has come a few times and its always been kiss of death.  But I wasnt totally sure.

I got it. thanks so much for your help.

ALSO unrelated note. I  didnt get an email saying i had replies to this message. I did get an email for my last post in the notorious thread, posted at about the same time as this one. So I just assumed when i didnt get any email notices that I Had no reponses.

Maybe something for the webmaster to check on?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 08:03:56 PM »
I had no idea you could get email about that

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »
With T 100%, I wouldnt buy a poster mounted on foam core period. Could care less how much its worth, personally makes it worthless to me.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 10:50:53 PM »
this is in regards to a spanish language poster of an old 1950s movie. the poster would normally auction at $500 but this one is mounted on foam board.

This is usually bad news in my experience. I had a wine poster that would have sold well but it was mounted on foam board and my buyer didnt want it. there are also a lot of reproductions on foam board but this poster appears to be authentic.

thanks in advance.

And what size is the poster you were talking about? Without knowing the dimensions, or anything about it, a pic, etc, it might also be a commercial repro that was mounted to foam core, too.

What movie was the poster for? And is it a Spanish language poster printed in the US for Spanish speaking markets? Or a Spanish film poster? Need more info. ;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »

thanks in advance.

What auction history or sales data bases did you use to determine that this (as yet) unidentified poster would normally sell for $500.00?

Maybe you didnt see my previous post, but could you give us the name of the movie or show the poster you're talking about? With no specifics, it's difficult to help with your question about whether it's worth it or not.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:20:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff