Author Topic: World's first film poster set to go up for auction at Sotheby's  (Read 8753 times)

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
From The Guardian:

A poster promoting the first public screenings of film, providing glimpses of late 19th-century Paris life, is coming up for auction.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/16/lumiere-brothers-world-first-film-poster-sothebys-auction

That would be a pretty cool artifact to own!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: World's first film poster set to go up for auction at Sotheby's
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 12:58:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing that link, rumble.

Love this imagery.  bed1

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:29:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 03:15:51 PM »
Thanks for putting up the image, I was posting from my phone but hoping someone else would help :)

Offline QPRfan

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:43:07 PM »
Yes, thanks for posting this. That looks like it may be the same poster that was sold in France back at the end of January for €32k, but now it’s been linenbacked and framed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:07:05 PM »
Will be interesting to see how it does, with an estimate of 40,000-60,000 GBP

https://www.sothebys.com/buy/e399a0d9-346e-427a-876a-cf84a04fce4a/lots/bee6cf77-28c6-481e-99c2-39af21a8d1b2

-Jeff

Offline QPRfan

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
Will be interesting to see how it does, with an estimate of 40,000-60,000 GBP

https://www.sothebys.com/buy/e399a0d9-346e-427a-876a-cf84a04fce4a/lots/bee6cf77-28c6-481e-99c2-39af21a8d1b2
Yes that would be quite the profit, even if it went for the low estimate. I guess we’ll see!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 08:20:34 PM »
Yes, thanks for posting this. That looks like it may be the same poster that was sold in France back at the end of January for €32k, but now it’s been linenbacked and framed.

If this is the same poster, do you recall who it was sold thru, back in January, QPR?

-Jeff

Offline QPRfan

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 08:46:34 PM »
If this is the same poster, do you recall who it was sold thru, back in January, QPR?
It was sold through the Millon auction house on January 31st. Here is the image from the site that accompanied the sale. The stains along the folds look identical.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »
Awesome. pre-backing image there, QPR.  thumbsup.gif

And the small patch on the right border, matches the little triangular area that was missing in January's image, too.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »
A neat little article, talking about the Lumiere Brothers and some of their first filmed shorts, that this poster may have been the advertisement for.

https://news.artnet.com/market/sothebys-auctions-first-movie-poster-1334402

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »
A neat little article, talking about the Lumiere Brothers and some of their first filmed shorts, that this poster may have been the advertisement for.

https://news.artnet.com/market/sothebys-auctions-first-movie-poster-1334402

Good read.  It's probably the most historically significant movie poster, to think the entire movie biz started there.  A cool £160,000 for it is not too shabby.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »
Good read.  It's probably the most historically significant movie poster, to think the entire movie biz started there.  A cool £160,000 for it is not too shabby.

Certainly you are right on the historical significance, Neo.  And, promoting Lumiere film is really cool as well. Though, do you find it attractive visually?  There are some very lovely stage theatre posters from this time period. Risking "the who cares what Okie thinks", but I'm struggling with finding the poster's beauty.   What do you all think?  Okie

Offline QPRfan

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
Certainly you are right on the historical significance, Neo.  And, promoting Lumiere film is really cool as well. Though, do you find it attractive visually?  There are some very lovely stage theatre posters from this time period. Risking "the who cares what Okie thinks", but I'm struggling with finding the poster's beauty.   What do you all think?  Okie
I agree with you Okie. Not the most appealing poster but historically significant. I always preferred this Lumiere poster of the very early ones...

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 09:11:28 PM »
I agree with you Okie. Not the most appealing poster but historically significant. I always preferred this Lumiere poster of the very early ones...

Hi QPRfan,  I like the composition and bright colors juxtaposed with the black and white film on the Lumiere poster you pictured as well.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »

Nice image there, too.

What year is this poster from, QPRfan?

-Jeff

Offline QPRfan

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
Nice image there, too.

What year is this poster from, QPRfan?
1896. Designed by Marcellin Auzolle. I may be mistaken, but I believe this is the second movie poster. Too bad, because this is a design worthy of being the historical first. Just didn’t work out that way.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 11:36:06 PM »
1896. Designed by Marcellin Auzolle. I may be mistaken, but I believe this is the second movie poster. Too bad, because this is a design worthy of being the historical first. Just didn’t work out that way.

Thanks for the info.

Interesting that the 2 designs are by different artists, yet the styles are similar (the people).

For sure this one embodies "cinema" more than the one that sold today, on its subject matter alone.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 01:28:26 AM »

It has a lot of strong points.  The Cinematographie Lumiere is bold in color, contrast, and font, but not obtrusive.  The people shown capture the time well, and the event.  It looks like they're going to something that may be a big deal, and I'm sure no one could have predicted how big of a deal it would become.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 08:07:27 PM »
The first one is the teaser- showing people for the viewing, but not what they would actually see.  The second one is the full release as the word got out. There has to be a later re-release or academy awards version out there...

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 10:13:46 PM »
It has a lot of strong points.  The Cinematographie Lumiere is bold in color, contrast, and font, but not obtrusive.  The people shown capture the time well, and the event.  It looks like they're going to something that may be a big deal, and I'm sure no one could have predicted how big of a deal it would become.

Hi Neo, I really appreciate your thought on the "big deal"!  Okie